Make a donation

Author Topic: Bleeding brakes - DIY?  (Read 9953 times)

Offline gillm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
Re: Bleeding brakes - DIY?
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2009, 11:16:57 pm »
the way i said has worked twice for me on my mk5
west tuned gt28 @ 340hp

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2010, 07:41:13 pm »
OK, you've all failed to mention about the ABS/ESP - that will need 'activating' - either via VCDS, or with some lateral 'thinking' on a deserted grassy field <whistles> . . .

Secondly, you need to bleed at LEAST 250ml from each nipple, and for you manual boys, don't forget the clutch.

On modern ABS systems, there isn't really any need for any specific order, but belt and braces would be front right > front left > rear right > rear left > clutch, cycle ABS/ESP - and then repeat.

Oh, the two-man method is still the best way - especially as it helps prevent 'step wear' in the master cylinder.
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2010, 07:54:12 pm »
2 guys
1 guy pump 10 times for front 20 times for rear, cap up when needed by 2 guy, done it 3 times, works every time

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2010, 11:30:57 am »
2 guys
1 guy pump 10 times for front 20 times for rear, cap up when needed by 2 guy, done it 3 times, works every time
But unless you regularly 'exercise' your ABS, then there will be stale fluid in there, and this DOES cause expensive probs on the inferior Teves units.  Just hop over to a Touran forum, or even a BMW forum.
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2010, 08:06:02 pm »
2 guys
But unless you regularly 'exercise' your ABS, then there will be stale fluid in there, and this DOES cause expensive probs on the inferior Teves units.  Just hop over to a Touran forum, or even a BMW forum.

By that you mean using them right??  :smiley:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline geordie56

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2010, 08:55:20 pm »
As some of you may have seen i recentley installed a BBK and rear S3s with the good old school method and had no issus at all. Just work furthest to nearest with someone pumping the pedal for you and engine running for the ABS system. And DO make sure you dont let the res run dry or it will get a whole lot more complicated. Stick to this and you will not go wrong. What helps aswell is if you just have an empty bottle with the hose running off the bleed nipple into fluid so as you release the pedal slowly no air is being sucked back as it is in fluid.

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2010, 07:38:17 pm »
2 guys

By that you mean using them right??  :smiley:
Yes - sort of.

Most of us will probably exercise the fronts, with a bit of traction control intervention.  But the rear circuits are considerably harder to work.  You generally need to be getting the r-send very loose on a regular basis to purge the fluid.
------

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2010, 07:42:20 pm »
As some of you may have seen i recentley installed a BBK and rear S3s with the good old school method and had no issus at all. Just work furthest to nearest with someone pumping the pedal for you
Nope - you work nearest first.

and engine running for the ABS system.
Huh, firstly, you should NEVER bleed brakes with the engine running.  And secondly, care to elaborate how an engine running during brake bleeding activates the ABS?

Some very bad advice there! :scared:
------