Make a donation

Author Topic: Is my suspension Knackered? - Help please  (Read 1487 times)

Offline GTI-Ross

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 26
  • Learning All The Time :)
    • Email
Is my suspension Knackered? - Help please
« on: August 21, 2014, 09:49:11 pm »
Hey guys, I posted about having a creaky rear chasis about a week ago. A lot of people suggested a it would be rubber seals or boot catch mechanism, but its more of a chassis creak when going over uneven / sloped ground.

I have had my seats, spare tyre, and all interior panels out and the noise still happens. Im sure I have ruled out everything other than suspension / drop links.

I do run an up-rated roll bar which I have freshly greased and refit (so its can be that). but when driving my ride does feel rather harsh to say im on OEM spring and shocks. When the car is on the lift the wheels fall as normal, they dont stayed compressed and the ride isnt sloppy / bouncy, so I cant work out if the shocks have dried / stiffened up and thats why they are not compressing properly and giving a smooth ride....does this ever happen?

Or is there a chance it could be the drop links that are knackered? I have sprayed they with liquid grease but still the same - Its only a 59 plate GTI so thats why im so confused as to what it could be.

Any pro's who might have an idea what to try?

Thanks
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 01:03:09 pm by GTI-Ross »
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | VWR SubFrame Mount | VibraTechnics Upper Engine Mount | VibraTechnic Transmission Mount | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)

Offline DDM

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
Re: Do I need to replace drop links or suspension - Advice needed
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 09:31:56 am »
if you replace the links i'd get genuine ones bud, mine went 2 years ago on the front, slight knocking noise, so bought some replacments through dmfx motor factors and they lasted 8 months before the same again, so they replaced them under warranty for a better brand and again they lasted 11 months, so this time I bought genuine (twice the price @ £75.00) but completely different far better quality.

Offline GTI-Ross

• Thank You
    • Email
Re: Do I need to replace drop links or suspension - Advice needed
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 10:43:49 am »
if you replace the links i'd get genuine ones bud, mine went 2 years ago on the front, slight knocking noise, so bought some replacments through dmfx motor factors and they lasted 8 months before the same again, so they replaced them under warranty for a better brand and again they lasted 11 months, so this time I bought genuine (twice the price @ £75.00) but completely different far better quality.

I dont really have any knocking as such, I just makes the chassis flex.....
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | VWR SubFrame Mount | VibraTechnics Upper Engine Mount | VibraTechnic Transmission Mount | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

Offline JoeDarKa

• Thank You
  • -Given: 57
  • -Receive: 73
Re: Is my suspension Knackered? - Help please
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 07:09:01 pm »
Subframe bolts?

GT Sport - Reflex Silver 2.0 TDI My Build

Offline apples12

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 07:59:11 pm »
got the same with my mk6 GT, a creaking sound almost as though smthngs bending...
MK6 GT TDI  - CW - LUX pack
GONE
MkV Golf 1.9TDI Sport in DBP, 160,000 miles and climbing!

Retrofits by me:GT front end,OEM bixenons with auto-levelling/washers, Valeo LED Rears, MFSW + Highline SWCM, Cruise Control, 30byte Highline CECM, Highline clocks, Rain/Light Sensor, Auto-dimming Rear view Mirror, RNS-510 LED (Ver H; SW: 4020), Fiscon Basic Bluetooth, MDI + Aux, Armrest, Reverse Camera LOW, TPMS..what next...

Offline GTI-Ross

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 01:03:04 am »
Subframe bolts?

The very rear of the car mate, the subframe is at the front, and its more of a creak than a knocking....