Make a donation

Author Topic: Braking power on Mk5 GTI  (Read 6142 times)

Offline Bennz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
Braking power on Mk5 GTI
« on: August 26, 2014, 01:22:16 am »
Just wanted to hear what everyone think about this and if it is a normal braking behaviour.
I have a 08 MK5 GTI with 30,000 Kms ( approx 19000 miles ) the car is in good condition without any issues.
But I feel the braking is not as strong and as responsive compared to other GTIs  I drove .

The brakes thickness is around 45-50% , no noise but when I brake the car rolls more than I like and takes longer to stop.

Car comes with service history but I doubt it had brake pads replaced or brake fluid flushed.

So I am wondering if I change the brake pads and flush the fluid and retune the brake pedal would I get benefit ? Or OEM brake setup is not so good on mk5 GTI?

And also if anyone tried Vaico brake pads sold on Ecstuning ?

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
Re: Braking power on Mk5 GTI
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 07:05:44 am »
The brake setup on the MK5 GTI isn't renowned for being very powerful.

Your best off upgrading to either the Golf R32 / Audi S3 / Leon Cupra  setup which is a direct fit and much better, or one of the brake kits in the "product reviews" section of the forum  :happy2:
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline Bennz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 07:11:30 am »
I don't really do any track or heavy load driving . I just found them on mine not to be very sharp or in effect immediately . Thought might have something going on with it

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 07:54:04 am »
You would like the R32 brake upgrade then, it's much sharper than the GTI and more resistant to brake fade  :smiley:
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 08:50:36 am »
Go stock VW pads and discs at an Indy , then get the dealer to do a fluid change £50, drive it for 200 miles and reassess.

This gives you the OEM Factory pedal back establishes a base line and see if you like it.

Upgrade from there......

Offline Matthewsimone

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 39
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 08:52:36 am »
If you dont do track days the standard GTI brake set up is absolutely fine in my oppinion, mine were all replaced recently with Oe parts and feel spot on and thats comparing them to my previous focus Rs with the 4 pot Brembo set-up  :wink:

Get them looked at if your not 100% happy with them as they wre quite an important aspect of any car  :laugh:
Mk5 Golf....... The Real GTI Reborn

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=71tdn6maedklpei9carkd3lvgq&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 09:06:33 am »
I found the mk5 brakes rubbish to. The mk6 GTI are better which makes no sense as they are the same

Offline Scottymon

• Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 09:59:23 am »
Not sure about the front, but the rear on the Mk6 uses different calipers, they are heavier and no difference in piston size.

Do they use the same MC?

dansmith180

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 10:12:41 am »
I found the mk5 brakes rubbish to. The mk6 GTI are better which makes no sense as they are the same

Maybe the OEM pad is more aggressive for the MK6?

Offline Shaw

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 10:29:45 am »
Don't underestimate the importance of friction material. Obviously increasing the diameter of the disc and area of pad in contact withy the disc will improve braking but it's really necessary unless you're really pushing on with the car.

Some new discs, fluid and a set of decent pads can make a massive difference.

VW designed OEM pads to be long lasting and gentle on the discs. In doing this they sacrificed some braking power/feel? Get some decent pads and go from there. The initial bite of the brakes on my GTI is definitely on the better side of the cars I've driven.

Also, if you say the car dives too much when braking, this could indicate an issue with the rear brakes.
'07 Mk5 GTI Manual

Offline Bennz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
Braking power on Mk5 GTI
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2014, 10:56:25 am »
Thanks all for your help.
I probably get a set of new OEM pads, fluid replacement and some adjustment maybe.
Would the discs need to be replaced if the car has only done less than 20,000 miles?

Are there cheaper pads which offer the same quality and grip as the OEM ones ? Not sure about the Vaico Ecstuning sells as I couldn't find any reviews...

Offline GTI-Ross

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 26
  • Learning All The Time :)
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2014, 11:06:24 am »
I have now changed back to OEM set up from R32 set and all i did was just change the pads to Mintex M1144, and it has made a huge difference, they feel just as good as the R32 set up but without the weight.

Yes there are a few draws backs, R32 look better and perform better on the track, but if its just a daily driver go with the OEM calipers with M1144.
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | VWR SubFrame Mount | VibraTechnics Upper Engine Mount | VibraTechnic Transmission Mount | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)

Offline OSB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 17
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2014, 11:40:16 am »
Have you checked the condition of the discs? Are they worn, marked, pitted, corroded at all? Cars that have been driven hard can wear out discs v quickly. But - cars driven gently wont necessarily clear surface corrosion and can 'glaze' both pads and disks. Even wear quite unevenly as well.
If the discs look ok, try giving it a few really hard stops with a bit of a break in between to stop too much heat build up. This can clean disks and pads if they are glazed.
A fluid change should be first up - ideally with VCDS activation of the ABS to clear the fluid in there. You could find that's all you need.

I recently fitted a set of Brembo pads and disks to a friends car. He is very pleased with them. Bit cheaper than OEM and a known good quality brand.

Offline Bennz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2014, 12:41:40 pm »
Thanks OSB, the pads look a bit uneven so might be the bedding process wasn't done properly . The discs look okay , nothing looks unusual but might take it for a check up .

I noticed when I leave the hand brake engaged over night and when going to drive the car, after the hand brake is down and car rolls the first few times when I brake I can hear rear brake noise .

Offline OSB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 17
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2014, 06:02:28 pm »
Thanks OSB, the pads look a bit uneven so might be the bedding process wasn't done properly . The discs look okay , nothing looks unusual but might take it for a check up .

I noticed when I leave the hand brake engaged over night and when going to drive the car, after the hand brake is down and car rolls the first few times when I brake I can hear rear brake noise .

If the discs look ok but the pads look a bit uneven, something is def not right.
Could be a sticking caliper.
It also sounds as if the handbrake is not fully clearing at first. My suspicion would be that the mechanism could be sticking there as well.

19000miles for an 08 car is not a lot of miles. Perhaps it has stood for long periods? Things can stick and seize not used and stored outside.
Get it checked ASAP!