Make a donation

Author Topic: Coil Packs. Which type, and where's cheapest?  (Read 6340 times)

Offline r5gtt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
Re: Coil Packs. Which type, and where's cheapest?
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2016, 07:39:00 pm »
It had new plugs a couple of months ago, so touch wood they should be ok!
BKR7EIX on a mapped ride   :doh:
I'm on Bosch. Might look into different plugs at some point, but assuming new coils fix the misfires I'll stick with them for now.
cheap skate  :signLOL:

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2016, 07:58:50 pm »
They're only a couple of months old!!! I did ask Steve @ Statller about plugs before it had the service and he said Bosch are spot on for my power and that he'd gap them nicely. Before these misfires the car was smooth and very strong, so I trust his word!

Incidentally (veering off topic here) I'm sure I remember @dansmith180 reverting to Bosch plugs after the NGKs were found to be less than ideal. That was when he had the k03 hybrid.

I suppose there's no perfect plug for all states of tune. What might work well for one car might not be ideal in another.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2016, 08:12:05 pm »
You're probably right as the tt mapped ran better with BKR7E used in the remapped tt cheap and reliable upto 20k miles. some used them on 300bhp+ without issues so sometimes it's better to use basic plugs with the correct gap. 

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2016, 05:03:31 pm »
Ordered a set of R8 coil packs from Alex on Monday, arrived within a day. Top service as usual.

All sorted this afternoon. I reckon I could have done the job in under a minute if I didn't  have an engine cover! Pain in the arse that thing.

Anyway, I got the codes cleared afterwards (cyl 2 misfire), took it for a good spin, and all seems well.

Hope it behaves itself for a while now!