Make a donation

Author Topic: Full circle brake lights?  (Read 15140 times)

Offline usmangti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 28
Re: Full circle brake lights?
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2014, 11:29:27 pm »
How I re wired for full circle brakes without bulb out warning -

If you found it useful don't be afraid to press the thank you button here or like on YouTube - it is appreciated  :drinking:

Hi mate just to be clear, if I just wanted full circle brake light on the outer lights, is it just the mod with the red wire that needs doing?
Cheers

Offline MateyGuv

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 67
  • Instagram & YouTube - mateyguv
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,69555.0.html
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2014, 11:55:13 pm »
If only full circle brake light yes only the red wire but you will get a bulb out warning light if you don't make the bulb holder extention thingy up.

Offline usmangti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2014, 12:01:04 am »
Right get you now.
Great vids btw,  :congrats:
How long does it take you to do a full conversion like that?

Offline MateyGuv

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2014, 12:09:16 am »
Just the full circle and bulb holder run approx 3 hours - the whole lot I kinda stopped counting  :signLOL:

Offline MateyGuv

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2014, 12:19:56 am »
Should have said - before starting this check that the LEDs you've bought don't throw up bulb out warnings. Iv tried a few eBay special that claim error free but ain't

Offline usmangti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2014, 12:35:24 am »
Just the full circle and bulb holder run approx 3 hours - the whole lot I kinda stopped counting  :signLOL:

Haha fair enough mate!

Should have said - before starting this check that the LEDs you've bought don't throw up bulb out warnings. Iv tried a few eBay special that claim error free but ain't

If you do the mod with regular bulbs will it still throw up an error?

Offline MateyGuv

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2014, 01:01:02 am »
When I was testing I found that putting two filament bulbs in the brake circuit drew too much power and popped fuses when the extra current for braking was applied. By using LEDs they draw less power so won't blow fuses.
I didn't want to use normal filament bulbs in the extention loom as they get very hot when on and as the loom is run into a cavity I was worried about heat/fire problems
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 01:03:15 am by MateyGuv »

Offline Bennz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
Full circle brake lights?
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2014, 06:30:14 am »
Thanks a lot :)
I wonder if using some form of resistor between the second bulb would eliminate the extension mod requirement.
What I don't fully get is why it throws light warning if two bulbs are the same (LED) and they draw the same current at once ? If it because the LED uses less amp compared to the filament bulb?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MateyGuv

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2014, 08:13:49 am »
Thanks a lot :)
I wonder if using some form of resistor between the second bulb would eliminate the extension mod requirement.
What I don't fully get is why it throws light warning if two bulbs are the same (LED) and they draw the same current at once ? If it because the LED uses less amp compared to the filament bulb?

When researching this I tried all sorts of resistors and things but each time they got too hot for my liking - one set of designed for purpose "error out plug in kit" got so hot I burnt my fingers when testing it. The extention mod was the safest and easiest way I could think of accomplishing what I wanted to do. It took me a fair amount of time and trial and error to come up with this but if it can be improved that's cool.
Two LEDs in line isn't what causes the error light. I don't think you are understanding how the circuit has changed properly. When the pin is cut in the rear bulb holder you have created an open circuit that the car sees as a failed bulb. This means that, if you only do the red wire then connect two LEDs in the rear bulb holders and power on the car will be able to power the rear side lights and brakes as that curcuit is closed but when it tries to feed power to the pin we has cut to do this mod it will fail as the curcuit goes nowhere. This will throw a bulb out and is why a resistor/extention or something is needed.
Hope that helps you understand better
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 08:16:10 am by MateyGuv »

Offline MateyGuv

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2014, 08:54:24 pm »
Seems to be a bit of interest in this. I'm happy to do this for anyone interested but please be aware that I am not an electrical engineer or anything like that so I cannot accept responsibility if you choose to use modified rear bulb holders and it causes damage to your car etc. etc.
I'm thinking I'll take on 5 "orders(?)" at a time and for the initial batch will only be doing the full circle brake light mod with or without the wiring for the normal light relocate. First 5 people in I will do it for £25 (plus PayPal fees) which will include postage back to you (UK only!)

What you will need -
  • Total of 4 Error free brake light LED's - Iv only ever used the BoldSport ones and had no issue but I cannot supply them - This option will need you to find someone to turn off the bulb out warning feature with Vagcom, I cannot help here as coding scares me!
  • Two good quality bulb holders, some cable and 2 extra Error Free LED's if you want to keep the bulb out warning feature.  You will need to put these bulb holders in the passenger side (UK car) boot recess and run one of them to the drivers side rear lens area and one to the passenger side rear lens area. Make sure you mark positive and negative.
  • Remove your rear lenses, take off the bulb holders and mark the side that is furthest away from the number plate (the side that lights up brighter when braking.)  This way I will know without doubt which side is the brake light circuit.
  • Safely package and post your standard bulb holders to me

What you'll get back
  • Modified rear bulb holder that will illuminate the full circle when the brake is applied - You need to get the bulbs sorted - DO NOT USE THE STARDARD FILAMENT TYPE AS THEY DRAW TOO MUCH CURRENT AND WILL BLOW FUSES!!!!!!!!
  • Either plug and play modified unit - this will throw up a bulb out fault unless this is turned off somehow by Vagcom or a modified unit that you will connect to the bulb relocate you have installed in the passenger side boot recess and run the appropriate cables to connect to. AGAIN ONLY USE LED BULBS AS THE FILAMENT TYPE GETS REALLY HOT AND IN THE RECESS I HAVE MENTIONED COULD BE A HAZARD IF USED FOR PROLONGED PERIODS. Let me know which one you would like - both the same price for first 5 people

PM me if interested.....

1. Taken
2. Taken
3. Taken
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 07:20:19 am by MateyGuv »

Offline DDM

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2014, 10:33:12 pm »
I would be keen to know the way to do it . I can understand the way it masks the indicator but I would be driving with brakes on for a long time while indicating.
I get what your saying mate, but only takes a moment for someone to run into the back of you, don't mean to offend or dis the thread but where would anyone stand if it did happen, at a guess i'd think it could void your insurance.

Offline MateyGuv

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2014, 11:49:14 pm »
I would be keen to know the way to do it . I can understand the way it masks the indicator but I would be driving with brakes on for a long time while indicating.
I get what your saying mate, but only takes a moment for someone to run into the back of you, don't mean to offend or dis the thread but where would anyone stand if it did happen, at a guess i'd think it could void your insurance.
See where your comming from but the indicator is as visable as its always been when brake lights are on - I'll upload a video when I have a moment to prove it. As far as insurance is concerned you would definately need to tell them, just like you would when any mod is done

Offline Bennz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
Full circle brake lights?
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2014, 01:15:45 am »
Would disabling the bulb warning only be applied to brake lights or the entire lights?

I couldn't find the bulb holders on eBay. I saw Ecstuning have the OEM for $10 each but wondered if there is cheaper one.

Offline MateyGuv

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2014, 07:26:07 am »
I think it would apply to all bulbs but not sure.
For the bulb holder relocate I used something like this - http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=271135669108

Offline Bennz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2014, 09:42:52 am »
Does anyone know if it's possible to disable specific bulb check warning or if you disable it , it will disable the entire monitoring and warning system ?