Make a donation

Author Topic: My Mk5 2.0 GT  (Read 29125 times)

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
Re: My Mk5 2.0 GT
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2014, 09:56:04 pm »
Some good mods Adam

Offline Yorkie92

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2014, 10:14:55 pm »
It's all about creature comforts  :happy2:
The little chirp makes all the differance  :smiley:
Where abouts in yarmouth are you anyway?

Yorkie

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2014, 10:45:57 am »
I'm possibly looking at the xCarlink again so I've a few questions for you if you don't mind?

Does the MFD2 come out handy enough with the 2 supplied radio removal keys?

How did you secure the xcarlink in the glovebox? Did you have to drill a hold to feed the cable and then secure it in place with 4 bolts?

Is the wiring on the back of the MFD2 handy enough to do?

Thank you!!

Offline boardyuk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88307.0.html
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2014, 02:04:35 pm »
Thanks all, got confirmation of the next few mods today so should see more changes in the next few weeks hopefully  :party:

It's all about creature comforts  :happy2:
The little chirp makes all the differance  :smiley:
Where abouts in yarmouth are you anyway?

Yorkie

It is indeed, I'm about 2 roads back from the front on the way to Sainsburys.

I'm possibly looking at the xCarlink again so I've a few questions for you if you don't mind?

Does the MFD2 come out handy enough with the 2 supplied radio removal keys?

How did you secure the xcarlink in the glovebox? Did you have to drill a hold to feed the cable and then secure it in place with 4 bolts?

Is the wiring on the back of the MFD2 handy enough to do?

Thank you!!

Sure, I got my dad to give me a hand drilling out the 4 holes to mount the XCarLink in the glovebox (he did it in his Porsche so he knew what he was doing!) and then used 4 bolts to hold it in place. There's already a pretty big gap behind the VW folder near the right which passes behind the console so easy to get things wired in without too much hassle.

Once you get the sections of trim off that need to come off to remove the MFD2 it's just held in with 4 screws (mine doesn't use radio keys for the head unit those are for the changer in the arm rest), then it's just a case of give it a firm tug and out it pops, being careful not to do what I did and let it hit the climate controls as it marks easily. It's really easy to do once you know what your removing, I replaced my MFD2 with the RNS510 in about 15min the other day so it's not too hard at all.

Wiring it in is as easy as pop the changer plug out from the main harness, plug the XCarLink where the changer plug came out from and plug the changer into the XCarLink. The plugs will only go in 1 way so it's simple as can be, there's also a ground cable to connect so I just attached this to a ground point on the MFD2 and that was it.

I'll see if I can get a pic of the wiring for you later tonight if you want now I've pulled it all out.

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2014, 02:58:06 pm »
Fantastic, a pic would be great!

I'm still in between minds as the Bluetooth isn't great but it's a cheap fix and I don't want to change my MFD2 as I have it fully loaded with sat nav etc.

Offline boardyuk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2014, 07:16:33 pm »
Fantastic, a pic would be great!

I'm still in between minds as the Bluetooth isn't great but it's a cheap fix and I don't want to change my MFD2 as I have it fully loaded with sat nav etc.

This is the XCarLink I had installed with the MFD2.

The CD changer connector is blue in the existing loom so when you unplug that it then gets plugged into the black socket on the XCarLink. You then plug the XCarLink blue connector into the original loom in the same place as the CD changer one was (they only go in 1 way). The spade connector at the bottom right then goes to a ground point to make the whole thing work (there's 1 on the back of the MFD2), really simple and doesn't require any cutting any wires as it just sits in-line.

Personally I wouldn't bother with the Bluetooth module from them if you have to be using the XCarLink for it to pick up the call as it kinda makes it a little redundant. I had the Bury kit installed before getting the XCarLink and that will work regardless of what's going on with the MFD2, it just mutes the MFD2 when a call comes in or you make one and uses the speakers in the car, obviously it's more wiring but worth it. I'll be getting selling both of mine once I get a Bluetooth module for the RNS510, just looking for the right module. Shoot me a PM if your interested  :smiley:

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2014, 07:57:30 pm »
Very helpful!

I'm only staying interested as I have code for 15% off and when you buy the whole kit it's cheaper but loads anyway so all in its only around £80 for the lot which I then need posted to Ireland.

Offline boardyuk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2014, 09:12:57 pm »
Very helpful!

I'm only staying interested as I have code for 15% off and when you buy the whole kit it's cheaper but loads anyway so all in its only around £80 for the lot which I then need posted to Ireland.

That's not bad for the whole kit, I think I paid that for just the iPod module without the bluetooth!

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2014, 08:59:25 am »
Very helpful!

That's not bad for the whole kit, I think I paid that for just the iPod module without the bluetooth!

I thought there was actually a problem online. Here's the breakdown

XCarLink - £78.25
Bluetooth - £40.68
Cable - £3.12

Should total £122.05 but when you add all 3 it comes up as £101.71 in the cart only.

Must be a package deal.

That with a 15% discount and I'm at £86

Apologies it's 10% off so I'm at £91

Offline boardyuk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2014, 01:19:20 pm »
I thought there was actually a problem online. Here's the breakdown

XCarLink - £78.25
Bluetooth - £40.68
Cable - £3.12

Should total £122.05 but when you add all 3 it comes up as £101.71 in the cart only.

Must be a package deal.

That with a 15% discount and I'm at £86

Apologies it's 10% off so I'm at £91

Ah, I think you'll find the product page on the site shows the price inc. VAT and then in the cart it shows exc. VAT for some reason, which isn't confusing at all  :confused:

Offline J400uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 27
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,98768.0.html
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2014, 08:43:28 pm »
Nice ride I like all the OEM+ mods
2015 Audi TT Sport Scuba Blue 2.0 TFSI 230 PS

Offline boardyuk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2014, 12:06:29 pm »
Nice ride I like all the OEM+ mods

Cheers  :happy2:

Another few mods done this weekend, again many thanks to Ed for helping me out.

This week I had a few packages turn up being my footwell and vanity mirror LEDs I forgot to order with the first lot...idiot! I was also waiting for the door lights to arrive and decided to get the RNS voice control installed too. Ed came over to sort those out for me, while he was pulling the doors to pieces I swapped the interior lights over to the LEDs and also got the RNS510 out again so the voice control mic could be fitted.

We also took the opportunity to pull the unit to pieces as I've been having drive issues with it not accepting disks, which looks like drive is DOA so will be contacting the guy I got it off to see if he'll either sort me one out or refund the cost of one as I don't want to send the unit back...waited long enough to find one in the first place!

This moment was a little scary for me!

Mic being installed

RNS minus drive

Footwell LEDs in (Bad phone pic)

Door lights in (Bad phone pic)

More to come... :party:

Offline boardyuk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2014, 02:01:17 pm »
Got a few packages yesterday.

I finally decided to go for some new headlight bulbs as the ones in at the moment are absolute poop and deserve to scrapped  :fighting: Sidelight bulbs were free so they will probably go in the spares box. One of the things I've been waiting for was a new Mk6 switch kit so I got around to fitting those during lunch which has really improved the look again I think.

Before

After

All of the doors have new switches but those ones are boring so just put up the big ones  :signLOL:

Just as I was coming back in to the office I bumped into a DHL driver who just happened to have another package for me, this is one I've been waiting for and was acting like a small child at xmas when I was back in the office. Can't wait to install it....maybe later today if the weather holds out!  :laugh: :party:

Offline Scottymon

• Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2014, 02:07:45 pm »
I love the brushed chrome buttons and dials, it makes the interior that bit more upmarket.  Did you do the fuel release?
Need the Chrome A/C surrounds too if you haven't already, think they are only about £6 for 3 on ebay. :party:

Offline boardyuk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2014, 07:40:15 am »
I love the brushed chrome buttons and dials, it makes the interior that bit more upmarket.  Did you do the fuel release?
Need the Chrome A/C surrounds too if you haven't already, think they are only about £6 for 3 on ebay. :party:

Thanks, I'm really happy with the way it's looking now! I'm still in two minds about the A/C chrome surrounds, I also can't seem to find them on eBay, do you have a link at all @Scottymon? I didn't do the fuel release as I couldn't find any of the individual switches. My kit came with one but it also had the boot release attached to it so won't fit, think it's actually for a Passat. I'm not overly fussed about it though to be honest as it's not in clear view so can't bug me too much (I sometimes even forget it's there!) :smiley:

I got around to fitting my Fiscon Basic Plus on Tuesday but only just got around to posting. The install was probably the easiest thing I've done so far including installing the RNS510. It really is plug and play (probably helped that Ed coded the phone in at the weekend for me though :happy2:), the only thing I had to do was to route the mic cable to the driver side door pillar for now but even that wasn't overly hard after seeing Ed do it at the weekend  :signLOL: I will be moving it up to the light dome when I can remove the Bury mic.

Still getting used to the Bury screen not being there but it looks so much tidier now. The amount of cabling I pulled out from the Bury kit was unreal, whoever installed it looks like they just forced everything into whatever gap they could find! The RNS phone screen is so nice and when in a call I can even see the name, number, and even have some options on the MFD which I wasn't expecting to get, also much happier now it doesn't just mute the music but actually pauses it...small things again  :grin:

Hoping that the little gap where the Bury screen was will 'heal' itself over time and close up again but I can live with that as it's not hugely noticeable, just being a bit of a perfectionist...again.