Make a donation

Author Topic: Ebay and Paypal question  (Read 2247 times)

Offline Ashley g

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Durward's Autoshop
    • Email
Ebay and Paypal question
« on: January 18, 2016, 11:59:54 am »
Just after a bit of advice if possible? I've just sold my old phone on ebay. The guy who won the auction has contacted me asking if he can pay slightly less than the sold price with paypal but as goods to save us both some money on fees? Not sure what to do. I'm still going to have to pay the 10% to ebay. Doing it his way is financially better for both of us but where would I stand with regards to being covered etc? He's got good feedback etc but doesn't speak too good english so I find some of his messages hard to understand!
Any advice much appreciated.

TIA
2007 Edition 30, build number 30 - APR Stealth TBE - APR HPFP- APR stage 2 remap - Custom CAI - KW Clubsports - 10mm spacers on rear - VW Motorsport LSD, clutch & quick shift - A few poly bushes here and there!

*SOLD AND I MISS IT!! ANYONE SELLING A NICE ED30 PM ME* - UPDATE - I HAVE IT BACK!!!

Offline RetroRaz

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 194
    • Email
Re: Ebay and Paypal question
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 12:15:36 pm »
I would stick to the proper way of him paying. I had something like this a long time ago and the buyer never spoke good English and had good feedback. He later reported an issue with the product and returned an empty box to me!  Ebay couldn't do anything so had to claim through action fraud.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 12:36:49 pm »
Stick to ebay rules. The extra protection is worth the extra cost.

It's full of scammers, and the 'best' ones find ways round bad feedback.

Offline howie1987

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 92
  • -Receive: 20
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 12:42:34 pm »
Keep to the rules alsorts of scams going on.

Also keep receipts of postage for 6 months. As they can claim if they pay using a credit card then claim via the credit card even if its through paypal. Happend to me and even though i had tracking number and proof they signed they said i needed the receipt as proof. Apparently paypal can't do a thing if they claim through the credit card company.

Offline ARV_90

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 12:58:18 pm »
Asking to do this sort of deal after the auction has ended.... I smell a great big fat Rat !!! Tell him no if he doesn't like it report it along with the email traffic showing what he has requested. All you will be saving are the paypal fees... Is it worth it.

I personally don't use Ebay for high value items anymore i use local facebook selling groups much better to deliver and take payment.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 01:41:50 pm »
The buyer should have asked you before the auction ended and he'd only loose pennies depending on the price the phone sold for.
I've got 500 excellent feedbacks and 1 bad one from a pri** who bought my tt xenon headlight and must have broke the bracket trying to fit it as one of them is very flimsy and then complained. when I said report it to ebay he then sent it back with three broken brackets and the internals all broken  :mad: f**king prat. I lost £98 for that.

Oh yeah tell him no  :signLOL:

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 01:56:29 pm »
Personally I wouldn't send it to him at all

All he has to do is force an eBay return and he can send you back an empty box, and he WILL get his money back, such is eBay and PayPals buyer protection scheme

I won't sell anything on eBay for this very reason. Happened to my dad quite recently even after I'd warned him about it beforehand
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 02:30:12 pm »
@Dan_FR

Some people are genuinely nice but some can be twisted malicious so n so's honestly.

I've bought a few things and also sold a few things since being on this forum with PayPal and have had no trouble so far.
You're right about the paypal and ebay policy though. full of shi**   :mad:
I sent pictures of the inside and brackets of how I sent it but ebay still gave the pri*** money back. knob head from Birmingham too. his address wasn't even he's home address topps tiles which did concern me but silly me still sent the light. When I have intuitions I should always go by them but didn't in this case thinking it's sold so what could happen.  :sad1:
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 02:37:56 pm by r5gtt »

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 05:16:31 pm »
Personally I wouldn't send it to him at all

All he has to do is force an eBay return and he can send you back an empty box, and he WILL get his money back, such is eBay and PayPals buyer protection scheme

I won't sell anything on eBay for this very reason. Happened to my dad quite recently even after I'd warned him about it beforehand

This . Don't send it to them at all.
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline dazza

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 190
  • Coding Boffin
    • Email
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=s9o8aavuqo9ncb19liq5m12j51&/topic,90967.msg917089.html#msg917089
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2016, 05:49:08 pm »
I've been selling on ebay for years, it used to be fun now its just people wanting something for nothing. Buying a item for £2.00 including delivery then complaining about the quality.  :stupid:

People know that cheaper items are sent with no tracking they abuse this by claiming non receipt of items they actually received.

I'd send him a bag of sh*t. 

I'm currently looking for work as E-commerce is impossible these days.

05 | Tornado Red | DSG

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2016, 06:10:00 pm »
It was fun at one point but now it's got to a stage where both ebay and paypal have realised they can make more money and have become two seperate companies which is probably why the buyer wants to pay with PayPal only. keep it real and go with what you thinks best.

Offline dazza

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 190
  • Coding Boffin
    • Email
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=s9o8aavuqo9ncb19liq5m12j51&/topic,90967.msg917089.html#msg917089
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2016, 06:48:29 pm »
There wont be a high street one day or small online traders.

If you sell on Amazon its even worse, Amazon monitor your sales then go direct to the companies you buy from and sell the items cheaper.

If you have good suppliers who will not sell to amazon they email your competitors the items with a note (these sell well why not add them to your inventory). Starting a price war so products look cheaper on amazon then else where.

I have to pay for returns even though the item is not faulty.

And they take 15% of the order total.

I'm surprised no one has done anything about it they have a 60% share on online sales in the uk and pay hardly any tax. I suspect they have put thousands of small companies that do pay tax out of business. Adding to the unemployment line.

Sore point for me rant over. Sorry

:angry015: amazon

05 | Tornado Red | DSG