Make a donation

Author Topic: SKY BOXES and phone lines  (Read 1430 times)

Offline scooba

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
SKY BOXES and phone lines
« on: September 05, 2014, 11:19:14 am »
I have two sky boxes that are no longer plugged into the phone line and never have any issues etc, I am considering putting a new 3rd box upstairs will sky then insist its plugged in and highlight the other two are no longer plugged in ?

Or is it no longer required , TIA

Offline SI-R32

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 125
Re: SKY BOXES and phone lines
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 11:35:06 am »
its really quite simple skys T&C's state that 2,3,4 or more boxes all need to be connected to the same phone line, purely so they can tell there all in the same house

1 box no phone line needed

so yes if you want a 3rd box it should be connected, but as you haven't done it with 2 boxes (i did the same for years) you might get away with a 3rd, try it not as though they won't warn you first in a letter

also depends on if you order a lot of films from them as without the phone line connected on a multiroom system you wont be able to use sky store, if you do.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 11:38:01 am by SI-R32 »
Loads of extra's and retro fits.

Offline Viking

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 12:05:24 pm »
I've never had any of mine connected. The first one way back 10 - 12 years ago was left connected after the install, and the git who fitted it made such a hash of it that the broadband wouldn't work. So I phoned Sky and told them of the issue and said I was disconnecting it as he'd lost other services which I paid for when he messed it up. They pointed out that I was contractually obliged to keep it connected. I pointed out that they would be sending someone more qualified round to repair the installation if they wanted me to keep it connected, so do your worst.

Since then I've had various configurations, multi room upgrades etc. and non have remained connected after the install bloke has stepped out of the door. I just pull the plug straight away. The last time he came (last year) the box was going in a differnt room to usual, and there wasn't a phone point in there. He simply said he'd phone base and authorise the box over his mobile, and left it disconnected himself.
Sarcasm for free. Anything after that can only be considered as a bonus.

Just because you think you know something, doesn't make you an expert if you've just read it on the internet, y'know.

Offline scooba

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 12:15:46 pm »
I did get some grief when the box number two was first connected but the SKY engineer showed me how to register it and I did that each month for about a year and then sort of forgot and have no letters since and no extra charges. one month I was charged for two full packages on investigation my pup had chewed the phone line .

If it isn't easy I won't bother

Offline SI-R32

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 125
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 12:25:02 pm »
i bought a set of these to make it really easy

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/dect-wireless-phone-line-extender-a82fy
Loads of extra's and retro fits.

Offline Frenzy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 02:00:15 pm »
I've never had mine connected and i've had no issues, though i only have the one box.

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 03:11:59 pm »
i have 4  skyboxes and none are connected and am canceling sky any way soon as its a ripoff now