Make a donation

Author Topic: Removing swirl marks in black paint  (Read 3858 times)

Offline jakex181

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 2
Removing swirl marks in black paint
« on: September 11, 2014, 07:09:15 pm »
Everytime i wash my car i look at it after all my hard work and its covered in swirl marks, its like the previous owner used sandpaper when washing it! What is the best way to remove the swirl marks and make the paint look new again. Also my bonnet is covered in stone chips, how can i go about fixing these or is a respray required?

Im sorry if this is a repeat thread

Offline jbenekeorr

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
    • Email
Re: Removing swirl marks in black paint
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 07:23:35 pm »
The best way to remove swirls is with a machine polisher, a DA (dual action) is the most common for someone starting out. You'd be looking at a little over £100 to get yourself started. Alternatively you could pay someone else to do it.

You also need to employ a good washing technique to stop inflicting any further swirls! Google the 2 bucket method.

I've machine polished mine and it looks tonnes better.

Black paint is awful for showing up marks and swirls.

Here's mine after I DA'd it http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=316983

For stone chips, a respray is best. But you can sort them yourself with a bit of skill with a touch up pen and a machine polisher.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 07:25:54 pm by jbenekeorr »

Offline jakex181

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 07:40:01 pm »
Those results are awesome and im definitely interested in doing this! How much would i be looking to pay someone to do this?

Ive never used a machine polisher, is it pretty easy?
Will any DA polisher work well or is there a recommended brand?
What products will i need to use with the polisher to achieve the same result as you?

Sorry about all the questions this is all new to me

Cheers!

Offline jbenekeorr

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 08:35:18 pm »
Those results are awesome and im definitely interested in doing this! How much would i be looking to pay someone to do this?

Ive never used a machine polisher, is it pretty easy?
Will any DA polisher work well or is there a recommended brand?
What products will i need to use with the polisher to achieve the same result as you?

Sorry about all the questions this is all new to me

Cheers!

This was the package I bought http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing-machines/das-6-dual-action-polisher/das-6-dual-action-polisher-menzerna-intro-kit/prod_721.html

There aren't THAT many on the market - quite a few are just a rebranded version of the one in the link above.
I'm not sure how much people charge to do it for you.

It's relatively easy to do if you read up on it. There are plenty of guides online on how to do it. Just be sensible and know your stuff! Rotary polishers and wool pads are much easier to do damage with. A DA with foam pads is much safer.

If you fancy getting one yourself it's a great little project to do your own car. You can also sort out other peoples cars to recoup a bit of cash!

If you liked the correction on my car, look what we achieved on my mates one! http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=329893
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 08:37:17 pm by jbenekeorr »

Offline jakex181

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 01:31:47 pm »
Thanks for all the help mate! Much appreciated! :D

Offline garrardrj

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 08:23:02 pm »
Pay someone to do it . its alot better result and you don't need to buy anything . Then wash it carefully  :innocent:
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline jbenekeorr

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 09:06:17 am »
Pay someone to do it . its alot better result and you don't need to buy anything . Then wash it carefully  :innocent:

The result will be no different if you do it properly, and think of the satisfaction of knowing you made your car look like that!

Offline DDM

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 10:42:30 am »
I use poor boys machine glaze with a farecla dark grey polishing head mate, great results. you could  buy everything you need for £150.00 and never pay anyone to do it again. it could easily cost you this and more to have someone else do it.

Offline jbenekeorr

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2014, 01:57:18 pm »
I use poor boys machine glaze with a farecla dark grey polishing head mate, great results. you could  buy everything you need for £150.00 and never pay anyone to do it again. it could easily cost you this and more to have someone else do it.

You'll make all the money back once you've done all your friends/neighbours/relatives cars!!  :grin:

Offline DDM

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 04:40:34 pm »

You'll make all the money back once you've done all your friends/neighbours/relatives cars!!  :grin:
Exactly! This site was put together for us all to help and advise each other on how to (so to speak) if all you wanted to hear was take it to a professional then what was the point in asking the question. You already knew your options. If you need a helping hand bud feel free to land at my garage and I'll gladly lend a hand.

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 08:12:15 pm »

Exactly! This site was put together for us all to help and advise each other on how to (so to speak) if all you wanted to hear was take it to a professional then what was the point in asking the question. You already knew your options. If you need a helping hand bud feel free to land at my garage and I'll gladly lend a hand.

ok will drop my car of for youto do :signLOL:

Offline DDM

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2014, 09:40:56 pm »
No worries bud, should see mine now, we'll chuffed with it.