Make a donation

Author Topic: New tyre time  (Read 5224 times)

Offline Viking

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 47
Re: New tyre time
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2014, 10:27:16 pm »
I'm not arguing that they're not fine. What I'm arguing is that if you fit and use tyres with a lower speed / load rating than the type approved factory fit tyres then your insurance company will happily reject any insurance claim which they believe could have been compounded by the reduced capability of those tyres.

And I'm not going to resort to shouting to make a point, just confirm it with your insurers if you wish to reduce the tyre specifications....  :happy2:

This is a MK5 Golf GTI Forum, primarily; hence the naming convention, thoughts and opinions are kept to spec. (usually)… your thoughts, ARE, although warranted for the wider market, secondary to the thread and OP. I’m sure you realise this. VOTE YES.

Given that the OP didn't actually state what car he has (irrespective of what the forum primarily bases itself upon) it would be foolish to assume.
Sarcasm for free. Anything after that can only be considered as a bonus.

Just because you think you know something, doesn't make you an expert if you've just read it on the internet, y'know.

Offline Viking

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2014, 10:28:03 pm »
GTI's are meant to have 225/40/18 92Y XL as standard.

Michelin recommend the PSS now and are £150 fitted at Costco but before then they said PS3's as they are £107 fitted at Costco (at the moment you get a £30 voucher on 2 tyres and £70 on 4 tyres).

Or there's the assy 2 from good year you can get for sub £100 or the vreds are a good mid range tyre.

Why thankyou sir... :happy2:

Just because you think you know something, doesn't make you an expert if you've just read it on the internet, y'know.

Offline Nodz

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 73
  • -Receive: 103
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29264.0.html
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2014, 06:02:10 am »
Go on any tyre site (kwik fit/black circle/ etc) and type your reg number in and it will give you a 17" and 18" option, for 18's its 225/45/18 92y XL. They know this as this is what the manufacturer fit as standard at the factory. Insurance companies also get this data from the manufacturer  so if you are involved in an accident and do not have the correct speed rating tyres fitted then technically your insurance IS void regardless to whether you car can achieve the speed rating on your tyres or not.

It all comes down to what is specified by the car manufacturer not the speed the car is capable of.

Offline Nodz

• Thank You
New tyre time
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2014, 09:58:45 am »
That's down to you but insurance, police etc will take what the manufacturer states as standard equipment in the event of a claim or accident. And standard equipment is what it comes off the production line with, anything else is classed as a modification so you would have to declare it to your insurers as many do on here with winter tyres etc. I'm sure it also states in the owners hand book the tyres required.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 10:00:29 am by Nodz »

Offline Nodz

• Thank You
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2014, 10:15:13 am »
Anything that deviates from the manufactures standard fit equipment basically would invalidate your insurance. Whether or not they would pick up on that in the event of a claim or not I wouldn't know but if they did want to get out of it they could.

Also fitting 45 profile rather than 40 would alter the radius of your wheels and could/would change the speedo reading as it has not been calibrated for them tyres

Offline Nodz

• Thank You
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2014, 10:32:31 am »
Insurence companies use it as it's the data they get from the manufacturer so in our case VW. I'll check the hand book when I get back tonight as I'm sure it's states the correct tyre sizes in there

Offline andyp

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2014, 11:21:56 am »
Apologies for not putting the motor in the first post.... 55 plate gti

So michelins or good years seem to be the choice to go for sub £100?

Offline andyp

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2014, 11:49:16 am »
I've only looked on the usual tyre sites, wasn't aware there were more about!

Offline Scottymon

• Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2014, 11:52:57 am »
Loads about, new ones seem to pop up all the time:

Gone up a quid or so since I bought them but: http://lovetyres.com/tyre/Goodyear-Eagle-F1-Asymmetric-2/225-40-18

Offline Nodz

• Thank You
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2014, 12:00:51 pm »

It's definitely not 45, you know yourself mate, what I'm getting at is that if the insurance companies are using that same data then it's incorrect.

What's interesting is that you can get winter wheels and tyres from VW:

205/55 R16 H

H speed rating, which could be fitted at factory, where the hell does that put us all? :rolleye:

Either way I'm using Y XL, lol.
But my winters are V rated.

In my first post in this thread I stated the size 225/40/18 92Y XL not 45, unless I've typo'd somewhere else since replying in this thread, which will explain this 45 thing (if so apologies for not realising and being a tit :happy2: ). But insurers, tyre manufactures, tyre dealers will have the correct size in their database for each model of car, sometimes a few if there was different wheel options available for that model, so on the gti there will be the 17 & 18 sizes.

I agree with the whole winter wheel thing, it's been discussed before on here as some insurers will increase premiums or refuse to insure as it is deviating from manufacturers spec as they just go by what the computer says, where as others are fine with it and understand winter tyres. Trouble is winter tyres are not really common place over here so some insurers don't really understand them (that's changing now). It just comes down to covering your arse as some insurers will do anything to get out of a claim.

Offline Matthewsimone

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 39
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2014, 04:54:16 pm »
Mine has Michelin ps3 92W all round, rated to 168mph, good enough for me :happy2:
Mk5 Golf....... The Real GTI Reborn

Offline Matthewsimone

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2014, 06:31:49 pm »
Mine has Michelin ps3 92W all round, rated to 168mph, good enough for me :happy2:

but as it turns out likely to be a potential insurance issue, as crazy as that is, esp. considering the winter tyre rating. :chicken:

Honestly cant see it being an issue at all mate
Have personally known people to have a claim go through with far worse issues than a tyre rating, for example undeclared wheels/exhausts and even the log book in wrong name  :laugh:
Have family/friend ls heavily involved in the insurance industry and even they share the same oppinion as myself and my local tyre depot, still same width, height, 92 etc only the speed rating differs at W being 168mph instead of Y = 186mph, car is capable of 146mph from factory and she is completely standard

Offline Viking

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2014, 07:29:37 pm »
Some people are lucky. Others not so, as the old gentleman who bought a second hand car found out. When he was involved in an accident and they found that the car had an aftermarket air filter fitted, they refused his claim...

Offline Matthewsimone

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2014, 07:38:36 pm »
il take my chances  :laugh:

Offline andyp

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2014, 07:43:48 pm »
what are michelin pilot sport 3's like as a tyre?  as finally got 5 mins to order them tonight..  blackcircles are doing them for 115 pounds fitted, slightly confused with the cheaper price that there is also on love tyres..

http://www.blackcircles.com/catalogue/michelin/pilot-sport-3/225/40/R18/Y/92/f?returnurl=%2forder%2ftyres%3f&tyre=21574968

http://lovetyres.com/tyre/Michelin-Pilot-Sport-3/225-40-18
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 07:57:02 pm by andyp »