Make a donation

Author Topic: Veyron VNS-VW Fitted and running  (Read 30463 times)

Offline Apollo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 7
  • Middlesbrough
Veyron VNS-VW Fitted and running
« on: September 16, 2014, 08:17:04 pm »
Whilst looking to upgrade my RCD300 to a Sat Nav and BT unit it became very apparent that I would have to spend a lot of £££s if I wanted to stay OEM. Having spoken to @Viking on this forum for my options of OEM I decided it was out of my price range so I punted for the OEM copy.

The Veyron VNS-VW is not a bad looking copy, has stacks of features and costing £250 I think a very good unit.

http://www.auto-electronics.com/index.php/veyron-vns-vw.html

I contacted the seller who assured me that it would not give my car any battery drain problems, would be a simple swap and required no extra wiring.

Fitting was straight forward, however it comes with a single Fakra to DIN connector which will work but in reality you will need a twin Fakra adaptor with Diversity. I've had the unit in for a couple of weeks now and I am more than happy with it, yes the software is not OEM and looks different but its workable, the Sat Nav runs Sygic maps which works really well.  BT connects to my iPhone 5S every time without fail, you can stream your music from the phone but controls are limited. BT phonebook is not accessible but you can use Siri to voice dial.

I don't have steering wheel controls or a highline dash so these are untested but it says they will both work without a problem.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 08:38:43 pm by Apollo »

Offline coolhandluke

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
Re: Veyron VNS-VW Fitted and running
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 12:35:46 pm »
Not a bad OEM look and did you have to buy the twin adaptor to get it to work?
Does it boot up with the VW logo?
When you say "software is not OEM and looks different" in what way?
Do you know if you have the 6 player CD in the arm rest will it still control that?

Offline Apollo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Middlesbrough
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 05:26:21 pm »
Not a bad OEM look and did you have to buy the twin adaptor to get it to work?
No I am currently using the supplied single adapter and it works ok
Does it boot up with the VW logo?
No, If anyone knows how to make this happen I would love to know
When you say "software is not OEM and looks different" in what way?
Generic interface, nothing like the menu's you would get from an OEM unit. I will post some pics up when I've taken a few.
Do you know if you have the 6 player CD in the arm rest will it still control that?
No idea, there are stacks of leads for various outputs inc iPod, Aux, reverse camera, DVD etc

Offline Apollo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Middlesbrough
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 06:46:04 pm »
Just a couple of pics showing the Menu Screen, Bluetooth phone/music screen and SD card reading screen...

Offline coolhandluke

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 10:06:21 am »
Tempting....

Offline shaunbop

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 10:04:42 am »
What is the sound quality like on the head unit? I got told it's not very good when you have it up quite loud? I'm wanting to buy one but I would rather ask someone who already has one :)

Offline Apollo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Middlesbrough
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2014, 01:24:46 pm »
What is the sound quality like on the head unit? I got told it's not very good when you have it up quite loud? I'm wanting to buy one but I would rather ask someone who already has one :)

I don't hear any difference to the original HU, sound quality is as good if not better.

Offline shaunbop

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2014, 07:37:58 pm »
I might have to treat myself to one then :)

Offline Apollo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Middlesbrough
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 07:08:48 pm »
As way of an update and to ensure anyone contemplating buying one of these has all the facts, recently this unit developed a strange 'fault'. Randomly the colour of the letters and numbers on the radio/SD Card screen changes from white to yellow. All of them not just the odd one, at first I thought it maybe the day/night mode but it does it as I said randomly. Then at any given time will change back to white (normal), I also thought it maybe when the head unit is cold as it first started on a morning when first started.....but it appears to have no pattern.

Switching over to Nav mode and this all works fine without any colour change. The seller has agreed to refund me on receipt of the unit and has even paid for return delivery, I was offered the choice for them to look and repair if necessary but I've opted for a refund as there are plenty of other units on ebay at around £80 cheaper than I have paid for this one.

To re-cap, the unit performs as normal with no functionality problems and it may seem petty to return the unit due to a colour change go the font.  However it could easily be the start of further problems.

Offline coolhandluke

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2014, 12:33:13 pm »
Problems so soon but at least the offer of refund etc is good.
Where else have you seen  them for £80 less?
The problem hasn't wanted to make you look around for something else?

Offline Apollo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Middlesbrough
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2014, 03:46:10 pm »
eBay have several different versions all look the same but have slight variations of the software display. You get what you pay for and I'm happy enough with the product per say, all in one device for a fraction of the price with the OEM look. No functionality problems or CanBus conflicts purely a cosmetic/display problem that I wasn't willing to live with as the unit was brand new.

Offline coolhandluke

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2014, 12:21:30 pm »
Keep us posted on how the new head unit performs.

Offline chrisvectra

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • VXR IS FOR LIFE, NOT JUST FOR THRILLS
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2014, 03:41:28 pm »
I have this unit and whilst its loaded with gadgets the radio reception is awful and sound at loud volume is poor also
didn't expect it to be this poor but its cheap. There must be better units out there?

Offline Apollo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Middlesbrough
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2014, 06:48:55 pm »
I have this unit and whilst its loaded with gadgets the radio reception is awful and sound at loud volume is poor also
didn't expect it to be this poor but its cheap. There must be better units out there?

I have to disagree on the sound quality, mine was spot on. As for radio reception did you use a dual Fakra adaptor with the power feed to enable the diversity option to work?

Offline chrisvectra

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • VXR IS FOR LIFE, NOT JUST FOR THRILLS
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2014, 09:35:51 pm »
In all honesty I bought the car with the unit fitted already but after the last golf that had the sat nav system and arm rest cd changer the sound was spot on in that one and sounds dire in this one.. I would have to pull the unit out to find out how its been wired in but at a guess id say properly as the tv/dvd/ reverse camera all work ok