Make a donation

Author Topic: increasing the tyre width .....  (Read 21063 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: increasing the tyre width .....
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2009, 08:59:08 am »

I'm close to a change of front tyres... I'll be looking to change all four to Michelin Pilot Sport 2s... but I don't want to be the guinea pig with the 235s...

....I don't think you'd be the first and therefore 'the guinea pig'.

I recently spoke to Goodyear Technical about changing my Assymetrics from 225 to 235 next time around but we concluded that doing so would throw up other issues such as my suspension setup and also arch rubbing and even the increased possibility of aquaplaning. We decided that if it works (which mine does) don't mend it.

But other guys have done it and report no problems.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 8
  • .:R32
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2009, 09:53:10 am »
My father used to test tyres for the police, and has a lot of experience in the matter - including finding out what happens when you maintain 100mph+ on a run-flat that has already blown... But thats a different story.

Although not on a Golf, I changed from Continental 215/40/17 to Goodyear 225/40/17 on my current car and it made a world of difference. The Conti's were not worn, I just hated them, they were noisey and didn't grip that well.

Wider, low profile tyres will always be more prone to aqua planing, another few mm is going to make a negligible difference. All this talk of tyre wall flex due to more rubber on the rim is not an issue if you adjsut your pressure accordingly as TT eluded too. Especially for track use. And the extra tyre wall is just more rubber when cornering hard...  :wink:
Only 250.1bhp - but with that noise, who cares?

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator

Offline xxx_mojo_xxx

• Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 19
  • MUBster DUBster
    • Project MUBster DUBster Evolution
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2009, 11:18:27 am »
This is great...so just to nail this on the head...  Going to 235s doesn't cause rubbing issues in the arches, etc. ?

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2009, 12:32:59 pm »
Having just changed from a 225/40/18 F1 assym to a 225/40/18 PS2 - one thing I have noticed is the latter is ever so slightly narrower at the shoulder, making it less inclined to rub.

However, seeing a 225 & 235 PS2 next to each other, it looked like more than 10mm to me. Something Jonny noticed before on R888s too, something like a 225 having a footprint more like 240?

Are the sizings just a rough guide??

BTW Animal - I think the sidewall deflection points was talking in extremes of stretch and oversizing.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 04:04:05 pm by tony_danza »
Sideways yo!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2009, 12:39:58 pm »

This is great...so just to nail this on the head...  Going to 235s doesn't cause rubbing issues in the arches, etc. ?

....It depends how tight your clearances are to start with. Practical (just!) but quite tight in my case. Also the degree of movement (stiffness etc) in your suspension.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 8
  • .:R32
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2009, 03:47:30 pm »

....It depends how tight your clearances are to start with. Practical (just!) but quite tight in my case. Also the degree of movement (stiffness etc) in your suspension.

And, it would seem in some cases, the brand of tyre too.
Only 250.1bhp - but with that noise, who cares?

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator