Make a donation

Author Topic: ROAD CYCLING NEWBY.  (Read 1916 times)

Offline Veee-dubber

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
ROAD CYCLING NEWBY.
« on: September 21, 2014, 04:20:31 pm »
Having become more and more lazy in terms of physical activity & realising the gym is definately not for me, I evaluated things and decided I needed to take up a new hobby that I really enjoy but also got me fit, thus I have picked up a road bike.

After some thought I decided against a Specialized Allez and went for a GIANT DEFY 3 and all the accompanying gear, I also had a stroke of luck and got sent a DEFY 2 for the same price due to unavailability in the 3.

Ive been cycling for about a month now & I'm really enjoying it -well, despite the awful neck & arse ache I get but I'm told that will pass.

Just wondering if many of you guys cycle and what bikes/toys you have got?

Offline V2 FAN

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • Porsche 911 inbound
Re: ROAD CYCLING NEWBY.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 04:38:00 pm »
I routinely do 40 miles a day on my Carbon Cannondale Super Six.

I use a Garmin 800 which is great for mapping my rides, speed and distance but also good when connected on-line to view other peoples routes etc.

Also had a 3D Retrofit done, which custom fits the bike to me, this stops any over stretching and helps to prevent any joint pain etc. As I cycle 200 miles a week it's worth it for me but if your a recreational cyclists then not much point.

Certainly helps to keep the waistline down  :happy2:
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 04:40:31 pm by V2 FAN »

Offline stuart-88

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101197.0.html
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 08:11:32 pm »
Really miss my road bike, sold it last year due to lack of interest and regretting it since. Still have my Kona MB but road cycling isn't as fun. I used an app when I started out on my phone called endomondo. Really good to track your rides and see the progress!

Instagram: stu_nc88

Offline markymark

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 55
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 08:26:43 pm »
I love my road cycling, Im regularly doing over 100 miles a week although now the nights are drawing in I won't get out as much as I would like too. I've got a Wilier Cento1SR as my summer bike and I've just ordered a Focus Cayo for my winter bike. :happy2:

Offline Frenzy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 11:41:32 pm »
Been seriously road cycling for a few years, started off on a Trek 7.5 hybrid but after one summer on it i just knew i had to get a proper road bike so ponied up for a Canyon CF SLX last summer and it's a beaut. (check out their website - great bikes with a level of finishing kit you'd have to pay way more from if buying from a bike shop - the downside is that you don't get to try before you buy but if you're confident about what bike size and position you want then it's dead easy)

I do all my cycling in the Surrey Hills and Richmond park although now i'm back working most of my cycling will be junk miles through commuting plus with 2 young kids now, one of which is only 9 weeks old i think i've just been enforced to call a bit of a halt to this season for decent rides. May have to invest in some rollers or a turbo...

Offline Veee-dubber

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 07:22:45 am »
I'm currently using Strava to track my rides, It certainly does the job & its good that I can see how I compare with others, albeit very poorly at the moment lol!

Just picked up a new light due to the drawing nights, went for an ultrafire 2600lm and Im really impressed, it also doubles up as a headtorch which will accompany me fishing  :happy2:

Offline Frenzy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 11:08:23 pm »
i wouldn't get too concerned with strava leaderboards. Unless you're actually in a race the only person you are ever supposed to compete with is yourself as you strive to get fitter/improve your condition  :happy2:

Offline Stevie Steve

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 11:34:52 pm »
Some parts of Strava now have tour rider times on them. What with the tour of britain going on recently. Not Cav or Froome, some italian dude. I swear some people must go out in their cars and pulls some good slow to a car times.

Love mtb and road cycling (anyone else) although getting a bit annoyed with the evenings closing in now :( I too was the same. Not a gym user. Why drive to the gym to sit peddling against a tv wall. get some fresh air and get out there. See some new places!!! Got all the lycra, padded shorts, bib shorts and all that. Not tried chamois cream yet. Clarkson put me off that.

Offline Golf_GT_TDI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 40
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89458.0.html
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 03:11:04 am »
I'll be riding my old Muddy Fox mtb over the winter, looking to buy a Specialized Tarmac asap