Make a donation

Author Topic: Advice needed. Mechatronic garage won't help  (Read 1375 times)

Offline AndyBrown

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
Advice needed. Mechatronic garage won't help
« on: September 25, 2014, 06:24:43 pm »
Evening all,

As some of you may have read Ive been having issues with the mechatronic unit on my car.
Ive owned the car a couple of months now and first noticed it driving home from the garage, after searching on here the symptoms were exactly that of a knackered mechatronic unit. So I rang the garage monday morning, I picked the car up friday. The garage told me to leave it a few weeks as the DSG needs to adapt to my driving style, now this obviously didnt fix it.
A couple of month later I took it to them to have the gearbox reset (I work away and the garage is 1.5 hours from me so it usually takes a while to get something done) resetting the gearbox again didnt fix the problem and they advised me to get an oil and filter change done first as this is the cheapest.

I rang a place called C&S Gearboxes think I spoke to a bloke called Steve, he told me it would cost about £130 to have this done, I explained the issue and whats been going on and he said to take it to VW as their diagnostics are a lot better then other garages.
I took the car to Lookers VW in middlesbrough and they done some checks and confirmed it is the mechatronic.

I emailed the garage again explaining this and that I know there is company's that can repair them, they gave me the number for BBA Ramen. THey told me they wouldnt be able to remove the unit Id have to get it done and send it to them. So I get back on to the garage and explain this to them and that I shouldnt be paying for it as the problem has existed since day one. He emailed me back today and said they wont cover the cost as I test drove it and neither of us knew about it, but this is becuase the car was cold, the issue only happens once its warmed up. He said its 4 hours labour but he'd charge me for 3 and the oil and filter change! Then the charge from BBA Ramen aswell!

Now heres where I need the advice...

Hes offered to buy the car back, which I dont want as I wont find one with the spec for a smilar price.
He wrote on the sales invoice no warrany, which me being naive didnt read it I just signed. But according to the citizens advice bureau,
"If you bought a used car from a dealer the law under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 says that the car should be:

of satisfactory quality
    fit for its intended purpose or a purpose that you made known to the dealer
    as described.

If the car turns out to be faulty, you may be able to get a refund, a repair or ask for a replacement."

What do I do from here? How do I go about saying that I dont want the refund I want it repaired.
Has anyone been in a similar circumstance or have any knowledge they can share.

Thanks

Offline ARV_90

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 14
Re: Advice needed. Mechatronic garage won't help
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 07:40:45 pm »
If he has offered to buy the car back "at what you paid" for it rip his arm off and go find one that isn't broken  :happy2:

Offline AndyBrown

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 07:44:54 pm »
The words buy back sound to me like it won't be for what I paid, that'd be a refund lol.

I don't want to sell it back I just want it fixed, I know for a fact a can't get the same spec for a similar price, I think he knows that aswell

Offline AndyBrown

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 08:08:39 pm »
Had new discs and pads fitted all round today aswell, f*ck sake.

Offline ARV_90

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 08:22:38 pm »
So what is the spec and what did you pay for it ?

Offline AndyBrown

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 08:31:47 pm »
62k on the clock, 2 owners, fsh, mfsw, highline display, xenons, sunroof, iPod conx, sun roof, auto lights and wipers, lux pack, winter pack, cruise control, heated seats and a tracker.

I paid less than £10k for it.

Offline Llew

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 08:37:44 pm »
Is this an ed?
Golf 2006 tdi 140pd, dsg paddles,blue interior led lights,r32 rear bumper, cruise control,vcds,highline , r32 mfsw steering wheel, gti front bumper,miltek decat.

Offline ARV_90

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 08:39:12 pm »
62k on the clock, 2 owners, fsh, mfsw, highline display, xenons, sunroof, iPod conx, sun roof, auto lights and wipers, lux pack, winter pack, cruise control, heated seats and a tracker.

I paid less than £10k for it.

Year ?

Offline AndyBrown

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2014, 08:43:39 pm »
Ye Edtion 30
It's on a 57 plate

Offline MateyGuv

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 67
  • Instagram & YouTube - mateyguv
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,69555.0.html
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 08:50:45 pm »
Having "no warranty" on the invoice means nothing as per the sale of good act. If your invoice says Trade Sale you could have an issue so check that. The sale of goods act is often misunderstood and if the dealer is offering to buy the car back I would suggest that's the best course of action. Although the law is stacked in your favour it can get a little messy and a ball ache for you. The dealer could argue that the car was for sale at a very reasonable price compared to other examples available - by what you say you accept this - and say they carried out all reasonable checks before handing the car over to you. It would be accepted in motor law that a reasonable amount of money can be deducted from the purchase price for extra miles and wear and tear while in your ownership. Motor Law would accept the offer of buying the car back and would not force the dealer to repair the vehicle. This is not my view but the result of most cases I have been part of so please don't have a pop at me.
If you want to keep the car the best I would have thought you'd get is a contribution to the repair.
If you consider money back are they offerng exactly what you paid for it or less. It sounds like you traveled a fair distance to get the car so you could be covered under distance selling regulations - did you leave a deposit over the phone and re sign an order form after you test drove it or just sign an invoice after seeing it for the first time?
PM me if you like and I will help as much as I can - been in the trade for 15 years

Offline AndyBrown

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2014, 08:52:51 pm »
Thanks for that, I'll pm you now.