Make a donation

Author Topic: Remap advice  (Read 2134 times)

Offline al200

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
Remap advice
« on: October 13, 2014, 09:54:35 pm »
I'm considering having a remap done by a local company. I would like to go Revo but can't stretch my budget to that. The local company have quoted £225 and claim similar figures to the big name remaps.

Spoke to the guy today and he seems knowledgeable and has done a number of gti's. I just can't find much info on them on the net.

Has anyone had experience of these types of maps? How do they compare to APR/Revo?

Also, the company is called expert tuning and are based in caterham. Has anyone had any experience with them?

I appreciate any advice/thoughts.

Thanks

Offline alexharvey

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
Re: Remap advice
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 10:14:20 pm »
hi al

i have not heard of them the only place i would suggest is rtech in leicster they charge 290 for a stage 1 map and are alot of peoples choice on here. they also live map the cars!

Offline PT82

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 10:28:04 pm »
W8 performance are a Shark dealer based in Tonbridge not far from you.

Www.w8performance.co.uk

Offline al200

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 05:31:08 am »
Thanks for the replies. Rtech would be my choice if I was closer to them. I would like something local in case I have any issues. I will look into the shark dealer.

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 07:35:54 am »
They aren't a well known tuner on here. . . Do you really want someone who has "mapped a few GTIs" or someone who knows the TFSI inside out and back to front who will be able to tell you if something isn't right and make sure you get the very best out of your car?

it sounds very much like a guy with a laptop will upload a generic map and send you on your way.  . .for a few £'s more you can get the very latest mapping techniques and traction control mapping to make your car much more usable in the wet.

I wouldn't be afraid to travel as a decent tuner won't let you leave with any problems with the map.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 07:38:20 am by GrayMK5GTI »
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

dansmith180

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 08:17:32 am »
They aren't a well known tuner on here. . . Do you really want someone who has "mapped a few GTIs" or someone who knows the TFSI inside out and back to front who will be able to tell you if something isn't right and make sure you get the very best out of your car?

it sounds very much like a guy with a laptop will upload a generic map and send you on your way.  . .for a few £'s more you can get the very latest mapping techniques and traction control mapping to make your car much more usable in the wet.

I wouldn't be afraid to travel as a decent tuner won't let you leave with any problems with the map.

^^^ this. Live maps are much better, if there is an issue or weakness you can find out straight away and fix it or leave the map for another time. With a plug and play if there's any weakness or problem you won't know until you get a warning light or something breaks. Getting a good map is very important and it's worth spending the extra money and time getting a really good one.

Offline alexharvey

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2014, 10:53:33 pm »

^^^ this. Live maps are much better, if there is an issue or weakness you can find out straight away and fix it or leave the map for another time. With a plug and play if there's any weakness or problem you won't know until you get a warning light or something breaks. Getting a good map is very important and it's worth spending the extra money and time getting a really good one.

yeah exactly Rtech all day long

Offline Broomy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 07:08:06 pm »
Bluefin, no complaints about mine :)