Make a donation

Author Topic: Do people treat you differently?  (Read 11701 times)

Offline Tortaruga

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 105
Do people treat you differently?
« on: October 02, 2014, 11:18:44 pm »
Do you ever feel that other drivers behave aggressively towards you because of the car you drive?
I find men driving people carriers to be the worst offenders. I imagine they are unhappy with their lot and like to try to piss me off.

Perhaps I'm being completely paranoid?  :confused:
'07 Red manual

Offline MizGTi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Re: Do people treat you differently?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 01:23:33 am »
I have similar experiences also. People assume im a boy racer and therefore never give me way!

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 02:05:15 am »
I am quite young, look like a bit of a "yoot dem" as I often drive around with my hood up, not for any reason but because it makes me feel safer in my own little bubble world, I get people staring at me like a piece of sh*t.
Less so in the Rocco then I did in the Golf, but then again, anyone driving a modified car is automatically Satan's nephew.. if you're young then it's only worse  :signLOL:

Offline Scottymon

• Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 04:37:52 am »
Car makes a BIG difference imo, in the Saab it was like flowers came out of the exhaust, and especially never bothered by Police which is funny because it was more powerful, the GTI seems to grab lots of bad attention.  God knows what it's like in an FRS.

There's a maroon Ford SMax around here which is an unmarked cop car, talk about stealth.

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 07:18:07 am »
I am quite young, look like a bit of a "yoot dem" as I often drive around with my hood up, not for any reason but because it makes me feel safer in my own little bubble world, I get people staring at me like a piece of sh*t.
Less so in the Rocco then I did in the Golf, but then again, anyone driving a modified car is automatically Satan's nephew.. if you're young then it's only worse  :signLOL:

We are about the same age Jay, and whilst I don't wear a hood I still get the same looks from other road users as if they're thinking "young lad, fast car.  . . Must be a boy-racing hooligan".

Then again whenever I see a BMW approaching I expect it to become glued to my bumper and get stared out in the rear view mirror  :chicken:
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline DDM

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 08:12:51 am »
Car makes a BIG difference imo, in the Saab it was like flowers came out of the exhaust, and especially never bothered by Police which is funny because it was more powerful, the GTI seems to grab lots of bad attention.  God knows what it's like in an FRS.

There's a maroon Ford SMax around here which is an unmarked cop car, talk about stealth.
same here, when younger I was running the likes of cavalier gsi and astra gte's and alike and forever attracting attention, then I bought a rover 216 gti, looked like a grandad's car and never got pulled for 3 years of owning it.

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2014, 08:16:47 am »
That's cause you wasn't racing around in it Dave :signLOL:

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2014, 08:26:35 am »
Yeap, the car you drive makes a difference for sure.

My Golf (on occasion) can be a red rag to the boy racer's bull whereas if I'm driving a classic car I find other motorist going out of their way to be courteous, thoughtful and respectful.

Oh and being in my 40's I look to old for one and too young for the other.

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline DDM

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2014, 09:55:59 am »
That's cause you wasn't racing around in it Dave :signLOL:
no not much bud lol.

Offline jbenekeorr

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2014, 08:43:15 pm »
 I agree, people don't treat you very well in a GTI. Mostly men in German saloons giving you grief one way or another. People aren't keen to let you out of junctions etc. I try to be courteous but karma doesn't seem to work! Although I do think the way the golf is, means you act a bit more like you're in a race!  :driver:

I also have a Land Rover Discovery ... Amazing how different people treat you  :laugh:

It does make a difference because you don't ever get into a situation where someone is in your way  ... Because you can't  :wink:

Offline Tazgti5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2014, 08:59:08 pm »
For some reason I get let out of junctions with the gti all the time,
But with the RS never lol

Offline Matthewsimone

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 39
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2014, 10:52:19 pm »
I just find that regardless of what you drive 95% of drivers are complete to$$ers with absolutely no common courtesy for anyone else on the road even if that means acting in a dangerous manner!

Sorry for the rant but the system needs ashake up on dangerous driving offences and im also well up for everyone re-sitting your test every 5 years too
 :happy2:
Mk5 Golf....... The Real GTI Reborn

Offline howie1987

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 92
  • -Receive: 20
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2014, 11:01:58 pm »
Yes. The other day am in middle lane of a 3 lane round about next to a coach. He needed more space and come on to my lane scraped all my passenger side handle. I was trying to get out his way but i hing back he would of still hit me and if i swirved i would of hit another car. He could of just waited if he needed more space. And he did know i was there cause he gave my mate a snidey look sitting at the red light.

I pulled in just after the roundabout and he just drove on so i took his regi.

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2014, 09:25:14 am »
I get different looks depending on where the other car is in comparison to mine. At the side of me they see the brakes, do a double take and then increase their revs to the max and launch like they are in a NASCAR! Behind me they see the double centre zorsts and end up trying to get 1" from my rear bumper. In front of me is the only solace I get as the car looks comparatively normal at a distance.
Golf R gone.

Offline GTI5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2014, 11:59:50 am »
Do you ever feel that other drivers behave aggressively towards you because of the car you drive?
I find men driving people carriers to be the worst offenders. I imagine they are unhappy with their lot and like to try to piss me off.

Perhaps I'm being completely paranoid?  :confused:
Usually an S-MAX?:signLOL:
MK6 GTI Revo
MK5 GTI DSG - Gone