Make a donation

Author Topic: RNS-510 retrofit problems  (Read 10021 times)

Offline mclovin

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 8
RNS-510 retrofit problems
« on: November 09, 2009, 06:44:09 pm »
Hi Guys,

So, I've been lurking about here for a while but haven't really started posting up until now because so far I've done very little with my GTI apart from drive it. Anyway, I've finally got round fitting a few new toys, the first of which is a RNS-510 which will be the new heart of my in-car entertainment.

Before I touch the MDI, Bluetooth, amp and speakers I thought it best to do a dry run over the weekend, taking out all the Alpine aftermarket stuff that was previously fitted to the car and sticking in the RNS-510 by itself. Now, I thought this was going to be pretty much plug-and-play but it seems I was wrong. The most obvious issue was that I was getting no information displayed on the MFD cluster, but as soon as I plugged in VCDS I noticed that the car was spitting out a load of errors.

I have trawled this site an others and tried every tip and suggestion, it has got me part of the way as I now have Navigation instructions displayed on the MFD, but no radio, media or HDD information, I also still have a persistent fault being thrown up by the navigations system, here's the fault:

------------------------------------------------------------
Address 37: Navigation (J0506) Labels: 1T0-035-680.lbl
Part No SW: 1T0 035 680 B HW: 1T0 035 680 B
Component: RNS-MID H11 1120
Revision: AB001001 Serial number: VWZ6Z7J6217153
Coding: 000004000400000200
Shop #: WSC 01357 011 00200
ASAM Dataset: ------------------------- ------

1 Fault Found:
01299 - Diagnostic Interface for Data Bus (J533)
004 - No Signal/Communication
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100000
Fault Priority: 5
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 12
Mileage: 60413 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2000.00.00
Time: 16:28:43

------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, navigation is enabled on the CAN-Gateway and yes, I have changed Channel 37 Byte 7 (BAP) - It was enabled, but when I disabled it I got the navigation instructions on the MFD and the compass next to the clock.

I have read somewhere that this might be due to the CAN Gateway being an older version (1K0 907 530 F) and that I might need to upgrade to version L or above, but I thought the only real benefit of this upgrade was to fix the battery drain problem?

The RNS-510 is running firmware version 1100 with V4 maps. I have put off upgrading this until I upgrade the CAN Gateway because of the risk of developing a battery drain problem.

I have, of course, reset the unit several times during this process, but I still have this error and I still don't get any radio/hdd/media information in the MFD display. I also don't get any graphical indication from my parking sensors. Am I missing something really obvious here?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Offline mclovin

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
Re: RNS-510 retrofit problems
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 09:23:03 pm »
Okay, so I now have a new CAN-BUS Gateway, this is what it looks like:

This is one of the new "AD" units, interesting to note the double label and the the fact that the "S" suffix has been crossed out with magic marker on the top label, but that's how it arrived and the code on both the bottom label and the box clearly has an "AD" suffix, so I figured I'd go ahead and install it.

First of all, the coding string is different than it was on my old "F" version unit, but it wasn't too difficult to figure it all out and recode as appropriate and the new CAN Gateway does show up as an "AD" unit in VAG-COM. The really good news is that the old annoying Navigation fault code has now gone away and now I can access the audio information from the MFD display - Excellent!

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 10:05:50 pm »
Silly question but where in the car does this go?

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 146
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 10:50:21 pm »
SW its above the pedals very hard to get to that way though,  the long way but easy way is by taking the wiper motor off and going through the access panel and once you get the access panel off its right in front of you.

Mcloving did you sort the coding out?  the easier way to do it is by going into installation list and just ticking what is on your car then deleting te faults that are in the various control modules.

Darren

Offline mclovin

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 05:50:46 pm »
I accessed the part from under the dash, it isn't that tricky to get to if you are prepared to lie down in the footwell a bit to get a good look at what you're doing. As for the coding, yup, all sorted by myself, the coding string is very different, so I couldn't just copy that over, but I had a copy of the last auto-scan I did with the old gateway and just worked through that to get everything working. There was some trial and error involved but I got there in the end so everything is present and correct and now there are no errors showing at all.

I still have the bluetooth module to install, plus I need to wire in my amp and then there are the MFSW buttons and cruise control to do, so not finished yet, but getting there. I'll write it up and post it here once it's done as I'm spending the time to build a proper plug and play harness for the amp and the bluetooth module and it's about time someone put together a decent guide on how to do that.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 05:52:57 pm by mclovin »

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 07:32:20 pm »
Please include pics as it would be immensely helpful to people like me. How much was thr can gateway?

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline mclovin

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 11:48:02 pm »
The new CAN Gateway was £133 from my local VW dealer. I didn't include a picture of the loaction of the CAN Gateway as it is very easy to find, just take off the the lower dash trim directly above the pedals, get yourself well positioned in the foot well and look straight up from the footrest and you'll see it there with a red connector attached to it. Simply disconnect the battery, remove the red connector and then ease the positioning clips of the old CAN gateay out of iy's bracket (easy to see how thsi works by looking at the new unit) then take it out and stick in the new one, took me about 15 minutes to do including removal and refitting of the trim.

I will definitely include pictures in my plug and play harness guide though, don't worry about that. I'm just waiting for my Line Output Converter to turn up before I put it all together, take the photos, fit it and write it up. Watch this space!

Offline Rob GTI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 09:53:44 am »
Looking forward to the plug and play harness guide, I'm looking to add an amp to my RNS510.
GTI Edition 30 No. 907, 3 door, Black. (Now Sold)

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 02:58:45 pm »
This is how I changed both mine and scotts(Golfmans) Gateways from in the footwell but it can be got to the other way,  I think my gateway cost me about £120 with abit of discount.  

Scotts PDC doesn't show on the RNS510 either even with the new f/w 2660 but the RVC has a different screen it goes from 4:3 with the 1100 f/w to 16:4 widescreen with the 2660 f/w it hides the adjuster menu to the right side.

McLovin the bluetooth is very easy to fit ive done a few now even 1 in a mk6,  which B/T kit did you go for the just out of curiousity.

Darren  

Offline Rob GTI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 03:32:10 pm »
Darren, looking at your sig which can you also get hold of bluetooth kits, if so which ones and how much?

Cheers,
Rob

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 04:36:00 pm »
Hi Rob I can get hold of either the skoda bluetooth but Vrstu maybe able to get them cheaper than me.  I should be able to get the vw premium kits aswell, and also the fiscon one which is available from Kufatec.de 

What I usually do is buy the module off of ebay and then just get the wiring loom and mic seperately.

At a rough price about £200 for the kits unless I carn't get them in bits and have to buy the complete kits which then cost about £300,

Darren

Offline Rob GTI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, 04:42:31 pm »
Sounds good, I assume whichever version I get I'll need some coding via VAGCOM? Where you based as I don't have it.

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2009, 04:48:11 pm »
Im in Leeds bud but if im not close to you then im sure someone with VCDS will be, and its quite easy to just go into the gateway installation list on your car and turn module 77 telephone on,  then the coding for the phone is in a pop up in coding 07.

Darren

Offline Rob GTI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2009, 07:39:44 pm »
Nice one. Out of the three (VW premium, skoda and Fiscon) which do you reckon is the best? Looking for something that is as OEM as possible, got large MFD but not MFSW?

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2009, 07:56:29 pm »
Ive got the VW Premium which has it says Premium but doesn't work with all mobile phones only Rsap compatible ones.

The Skoda unit will accept all phone same has the fiscon.

Darren