Make a donation

Author Topic: Foam gun  (Read 5884 times)

Offline PaulED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 1
Foam gun
« on: October 09, 2014, 02:26:19 am »
Hi,
I am very new to cleaning cars quite so rigorously (only had sh*tty cars before ed30  :signLOL: )
I am wondering what the best way to use blitz hamber autofoam is,( I have a karcher washer with foam gun) I bought some and was using it yesterday but it didn't last very long (just dripped off the car).I kind of got it to work with 100% foam in the foam gun and turned fully to minus.

Any pointers would be great.  :happy2:

Pic of 100% foam mid application,

Offline mrvertigo73

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 5
Re: Foam gun
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 09:03:12 am »
That looks good to me. I use a Karcher, and used to detail my Porsche which believe it or not had much weaker paint than the VW. I'm guessing you mean you a a bottle attachment which sits just below the gun and you put the foam in there right? I would defo put 100% foam gunk in there, then have the Karcher add the water via the gun.

Also, I'm anal as f#*k but I would give the car a clean water spray first... I guess I just like wasting time, but it seems to help the foam work on the nasty bits more closely...

Also, don't leave the snow too long in the sun (not that this is a problem at the moment!)

I can send you my really saddo "detailing checklist" if you like....?
How did she know?

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 10:40:09 am »
I have always found little attachments to produce a watery foam. Best method is to use a heavy duty foam lance, fill the bottle with ~1 inch of snowfoam and fill up with water. Foam and leave on. Whilst the foam does its job (including running off the car), agitate panel lines, shuts, badges etc with a detailing brush.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline PaulED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 12:50:40 pm »
Ye I give the car a good spray down before foaming, I was trying to follow jays detailing guide. It is the bottle attachment thing, I'm going to be spending a fortune on foam if I carry on at this rate. Read somewhere about only using an inch of foam and topping up with warm water, so I did that with my first try, it was just like cloudy water. Then I done about 50/50 foam to water and that still wasn't great.

@mrvertigo73 I would like to take a look at your saddo checklist

Offline mrvertigo73

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 01:08:35 pm »
@PaulED30 looks like I've somehow deleted it from my desktop, so will have to scan in the laminated copy I have in the shed...  :ashamed:

I'll prob not go out there until Saturday, as digging that out will mean moving a load of old alloys and car parts that I've shoved in there in the last week... bear with me bud
How did she know?

Offline PaulED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 01:28:03 pm »
Not a problem, won't be giving the car a clean for a bit now, will be busy with work  :sick:

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 01:46:19 pm »
Is it a proper foam gun or the attachment that comes with the Karcher sorry.
If it's the attachment with the Karcher then that's your problem, you want to buy the Autobrite Foam lance which you can buy on a special buy from Detailing World for £40.

Bilt Hamber Autofoam only sits for 5-10 minutes tops, it's a snow foam designed to clean, not a "show foam" that sits for a long time on the vehicle surface. So it doesn't foam up the most but it is probably the best for cleaning...

Offline PaulED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 03:11:46 pm »
This is the culprit, I bought it separate but believe it is the one that comes with the karcher. Will the autobrite one work with less foam solution then?

The foam sat for 2 mins max and then it was mostly gone, but with 100% solution lasted for probably the full 10 mins whilst dripping off as well

Offline mrvertigo73

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 03:50:03 pm »
My Karcher one seems to do a good job - but it doesn't look like that one... I use standard Karcher small foam pot, and standard Karcher high power lance. I reckon you should be OK with that for most basic detailing, but not tired Autobrite one that xjay1337 mentions.
How did she know?

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2014, 06:05:05 pm »
Something's not right. I use 1" of snowfoam in foam lance, top up with water and use pressure washer. The result is what's in the photo in the first post.

The autobrite one is essentially the same design so it should work. If it's not working, then either there's a problem with the lance or the pressure washer. Which pressure washer do you use?

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2014, 07:24:12 pm »
As above...an inch of foam.

Offline PaulED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2014, 09:05:58 pm »
It a karcher k2 compact, brand new 2 weeks ago

Not sure what wrong then, I'll have another go when I get time

Offline mrvertigo73

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2014, 09:35:17 pm »
Sometimes takes a little while for the mixture of foam and water to build up? I seem to remember my bigger bottle didn't work well with foam? If you're near Bristol you're welcome to borrow a small bottle to try, but prob not worth the trip. Are you sure the foam is good? Out of date / been open for a while? (I dunno it'd make any difference). Sorry prob not helping!
How did she know?

Offline PaulED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2014, 10:44:26 pm »
Foam is also brand new, thanks for the offer but I am nowhere near Bristol  :happy2:

Offline mrvertigo73

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2014, 02:59:16 pm »
@PaulED30 here's the checklist

sorry for the crappy image... I will PM you a pdf

it's from my Porsche owning days (pre-baby!!) but is pretty universal. The geek comment was added by my missus when I emailed her the file so she could laminate it for me at work... cheeky cow  :grin:
How did she know?