Make a donation

Author Topic: RCD510 fitted, now phone problems???  (Read 2751 times)

Offline Garth

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 14
    • My Build thread
RCD510 fitted, now phone problems???
« on: December 02, 2009, 01:13:05 pm »
I have just fitted my new RCD510 (with lots of hasstle from VW!) and have some strange changes from the multi-function steering wheels buttons...

Before, I had an RCD500, a Parrot ck3000 evo and a multi-can interface to enable use of the steering wheel buttons with the parrot kit. This all worked perfectly and the steering wheel phone button was used to make a call (via voise dialling) witht eh volume buttons controlling the phone volume during a call.

Now with the new stereo, the phone button does nothing when pressed once (but still does redial if you hold it, as before) and during a call the volume buttons do nothing at all. The new RCD510 says nothing different when the phone is in use where the old RCD500 said 'Phone'.

This is very frustrating as I now need to dial numbers from the phone, which is obviously bad. Does anyone know if something can be done with vag-com to enable the new head unit to 'see' the phone kit and allow use of the buttons, or is it something that a new can gateway would sort out? Wiring changes?

Basically, please help!

If anyone can suggest a fix that works, I'll send them some free stuff  :grin:

Offline Norbreck21a

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
Re: RCD510 fitted, now phone problems???
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 01:57:02 pm »
Garth, I'm running exactly the same system as you WERE (except instead of the RCD500, I've got the MFD2). To be honest one of the reasons that I haven't upgraded myself to the RNS510, is that I didn't want to loose phone functionality that I currently have (and that like yours used to, currently works perfectly), and no one could absolutley tell me if the Parrot CK3000 EVO using the Can interface, would still work ?

I know that there is a proper solution for the RNS, a full Bluetooth kit that shows the phone book on the screen of the Navi and fully integrates with it. Trouble is, that's onother £300 on top of the cost of the RNS. :laugh:

You might want to PM Darren (user name mortygttdi), as he has installed a few of these including in his own car, along with the full bluetooth prep and voice activation. He might be able to give you some pointers as he's pretty sh1t hot on this sort of thing.

sciroccosig by Sootchucker, on Flickr

Offline Garth

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • My Build thread
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 02:07:26 pm »
Thanks mate, I might give Darren a shout. He's a good guy having already been round to sort me out with vag-com once before  :happy2:

Offline Garth

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • My Build thread
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 02:10:51 pm »
I've got hold of the pin-outs and it looks like the phone connections are on different pins. Looks like I might be able to sort this myself.....

The tel mute pin has changed on the 3rd gen head units so it looks like my head unit is not getting the mute command so the system is not giving away control of the steering wheel buttons to the parrot kit. I'll re-wire the tel mute tonight and see how that goes
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 02:22:07 pm by Garth »

Offline mortygttdi

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 146
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 05:18:24 pm »
I was just going to say something reg the pin out changing but you found it... :happy2:

Any probs mate you know where I am.

Darren

Offline xxx_mojo_xxx

• Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 19
  • MUBster DUBster
    • Project MUBster DUBster Evolution
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 11:57:35 pm »
Sorry to jump in here... but I have a similar issue with my Fiscon kit... any suggestions?

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 06:05:25 am »
Could well be the same issue Mojo see what Garth comes back with and he might get something put on this thread on how he sorted it out??

Darren

Offline Garth

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • My Build thread
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 12:31:39 pm »
Right then, I moved the tel mute connection, which was not that easy as it has moved to a pin that has no connector on the standard quadlock.
Anyway, the head unit now displays a phone symbol when a call is active and the volume control on the steering wheel now acts as volume for the phone during a call which it should.

Problem is, voice dialling STILL does not work! Holding the phone button does a last number redial so the button and connection to the Parrot is still ok but somehow it's not recognising a single press of the phone button.

I'm wondering whether this is because the head unit is trying to handle this request and not allowing the Parrot kit the signal? Maybe there is something in VAG-COM that can be enabled/disabled on the head unit to change this?

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2009, 03:12:18 pm »
You will have to set the parrot up again Garth, have you got the instruction if not I have some here for the CK3000Evo?

Cheers

Darren

Offline Garth

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • My Build thread
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2009, 06:38:20 pm »
You will have to set the parrot up again Garth, have you got the instruction if not I have some here for the CK3000Evo?

Cheers

Darren
Thanks for the suggestion. I erased the memory on the Parrot, re-paired my phone and also did a hard reset of the multi-can but nothing changed  :sad1:

Offline Garth

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • My Build thread
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009, 07:07:48 pm »
It seems the only thing that is different on the newer head units is the mute pin.

The problem of the voice dialling is the bloody phone! I upgraded from a Nokia 6300 to a 6700 and that's what's stopping the voice dialling, not the Parrot.  :ashamed:

Offline Garth

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • My Build thread
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2009, 01:48:09 pm »
Bllody Nokia, always changint the way their phones function!

I have now got voice dialling to work, but had to use the voice recognition in the Parrot kit itself (by sending it the contacts and saying the name for each). It's a tedious process but does now mean I can have voice dialling again.