Make a donation

Author Topic: Kenwood DNX525DAB cables - MFSW - CONNECTS2 loom needed?  (Read 7934 times)

Offline mrvertigo73

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 5
Kenwood DNX525DAB cables - MFSW - CONNECTS2 loom needed?
« on: October 17, 2014, 12:14:28 am »
Hi all,

Having just got my highline clocks in place, I'm now ready to install my MFSW and Kenwood DNX525DAB system, but am looking for some help with getting the cabling right. Don't want to have to do this more than once, as I have eff all time with the baby in the house!

Looking at the supplied cables below, am I right in thinking I will probably not need a CONNECTS2 or similar steering control adapter? These head units are designed for MFSW VWs, so I'm hoping it will all work together? Also, I guess I can ground the PRK SW cable to get video working on the move? With the Power Control, Remote Control and Mute wires, do these work with the MFSW then? How do I wire them in?

And finally, do I need to update my CAN Gateway? I have bought an updated one, but not sure if I need it.

PS, my MFSW setup will be: MFSW wheel with paddles and Star button, Control Module 1KO 953 549 G (currently 1K0 953 549 F), new airbag loom 1K0 971 584 C, new CAN Gateway 7N0 907 530 AN (currently 1K0 907 530 E)

Thanks!

How did she know?

Offline AndrewWillis

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
    • Email
Re: Kenwood DNX525DAB cables - MFSW - CONNECTS2 loom needed?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 01:37:27 pm »
Hello,

My DNX525DAB was a straight swap over.  I have an 05 gti dsg with midline clocks and mfsw.  The only thing I did was routed the microphone up to the dome lights, and added the tailgate DAB reciever.  I'm not aware of what functions it brings up on the highline dash, it may just say Kenwood, but not having highline, I wouldn't know.  Anything else you need to know, just ask me.
05, 3door Red GTI DSG, BCS Powervalve 200 Cell, DNX525DAB, Xenons, R-Tech 2+

Offline mrvertigo73

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 07:15:19 pm »
 :happy2: Great thanks Andrews. Sounds good. Did you have an RCD300 previously? And do your MFSW controls work with bluetooth / stereo? You didn't have to wire in the cables mentioned below? I might have to look at the tailgate DAB - seems like a better solution than the window sticker... so, you got the mic inside the dome light "capsule"? Or did you position the mic outside the lights, but put the cable through there?

Thanks for the reply... it sounds promising...  :grin:
How did she know?

Offline AndrewWillis

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 04:28:32 pm »
I did have the old RCD300. Yes all the MFSW controls work without any need for other wires.  The whole radio is plug and play.  The microphone actually sits in the dome light, there is a little slot filled with a foam block.  Take the block out and then take the base off of the microphone and secure it in place a nice simple job.  I can supply some pictures and a sort of write up if you need one.

Offline mrvertigo73

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 06:24:27 pm »
Wow that's great news. Thanks Andrew. If you have a pic of that mic positioning that would be great thanks!
How did she know?

Offline AndrewWillis

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 08:56:22 pm »
No problem buddy, I'll take some in the light tomorrow.

Offline AndrewWillis

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 05:38:47 pm »
Sorry for the late reply, but here are some pictures showing the mic location...

It literally threads up the A pillar and through the headlining to the dome light and then remove the base of the mic and secure it in place, I used cable ties.

Hope this helps.

Offline mrvertigo73

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 11:08:51 pm »
Cheers that's great - confirms where I thought you meant. I took a run at this today, managed to get the DAB aerial, GPS unit, bluetooth mic and iPod cable installed - then got stumped because the head unit and my cables didn't match... did you say yours was plug n play? Here's pics of my cables (or at least pics nicked from the web which are identical!):

The Kenwood ones are as before. I don't wanna splice, so did you buy a connecting cable? Had to drive the family out to Somerset today with a dead radio and cables flapping about behind it  :scared:
How did she know?

Offline mrvertigo73

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 01:45:20 pm »
Just to square this off, I today bought a CTSVW002.2 and a CTKENWOODLEAD -  think this will be what sorts this for me - apparently you shouldn't buy these from Germany, as they come with different cabling... or you CAN buy from Germany, but be aware you will need to buy your own DAB aerial and the 2 cables mentioned here...
How did she know?

Offline AndrewWillis

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 10:29:20 pm »
That's where they differed then, mine came with all the cables I needed.  When will you likely be putting it in?

Offline mrvertigo73

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 12:20:37 am »
Yup, seems like you're better off buying from UK. Did it just now. Seems to be working although not got DVD playback even when parked. MFSW working for vol and telephone so I'm happy. No info on MFD apart from Audio Active which is useless, but other than that all good. Will pull it out again at the weekend to fit reverse camera! Thanks for your advice Andrew
How did she know?

Offline AndrewWillis

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2014, 09:55:32 pm »
Mine did the no playback thing for a while, but after a couple of resets, it works fine! I have a VW logo on my start up screen if you're interested in that?  You're more than welcome, anything else you need, just let me know.  I'm just glad there is someone else with one!

Offline mrvertigo73

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2014, 10:48:38 pm »
Cheers, yeah we seem to be a small group! (suppose it was quite an investment!). I managed to change splash screen to gti logo today so I'm happy with that cheers. Having a few problems with Bluetooth and USB but will sort that when I get the reversing camera in. Took a long drive today in towns and country and DAB dropped out a few times, but mainly all good
How did she know?

Offline AndrewWillis

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2014, 04:33:44 pm »
That's more to do with the DAB network more than the unit, the coverage isn't great in some remote and built up areas!