Make a donation

Author Topic: rear brakes  (Read 1404 times)

Offline lennard_D

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 0
rear brakes
« on: October 17, 2014, 07:57:41 am »
Hello I've done a lot of searching and reading so apologies if this has already been discussed but before.

Seems like lots of owners on here have upgraded their braking system  using aftermarket products or from other car brands eg Porsche. What I'm not clear on is that because the stock braking system is not that good? I've got a stock 56plate which I'm really happy with. I never track race so just for road driving.

I need to replace rear discs and pads for Mot so questions are

1. Should I stay with stock parts and are there updated VW versions I should use
2. Should I go for different system
3. What is the difference in cost and performance for pure road driving?

Cheers

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
Re: rear brakes
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 08:14:40 am »
Most people up grade to the r32 rears

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 08:41:30 am »
A lot of owners replace because they remap and tune their car to no end. If you upgrade your power, you upgrade your breaks.

You have a stock car and you don't race which is the same as myself so personally I see no need to upgrade brakes.

You'll see better braking power on standard road driving but it's not necessary in my opinion unless you drive like a lunatic.

Just get more OEM VW brakes

Offline lennard_D

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 09:17:19 am »
Cheers guys - Luke you've given me lots of good advice this week! Yeah I don't plan on upgrading power by remapping engine so probably will stick with OEM. Are there latest versions of the OEM kit you should be going for? How much should you pay for parts - two rear pads and discs?

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 09:24:07 am »
Have I? haha

Nice to be nice I suppose.

Part prices I'm afraid I can't be of much help. First of all find your local VW parts dept and give them a call. For 6 months I had a fear of VW parts and the hassle but when you go once and get to know them they tend to give you discounts from there on.

Secondly, if you're not in a rush for brakes and go another few months (like me, my rears need to be changed in about 3 months or as soon as my pads wear) sign up to a newsletter from GSF or other car place of your pick. I say GSF because I use them a bit and they're great for putting promo codes out. Originally a UK based company that moved to Ireland.

Watch your emails from them like a hawk and as soon as you see a promo code snap up your full kit.

For example, use code BP2513 for 25% off all pads and shoes. http://www.gsfcarparts.ie/parts/service-parts/brake-discs-pads

I'd personally hold off for 25% off everything sale which they do every few months.

Pick the exact discs, pads, copper grease, brake fluid and tools that you need and save them to your wishlist in the favourites tab. Next time you get a discount code snap them all up and get fitting.

If you want the brake change guide I can email it to you. Really not a difficult task.