Make a donation

Author Topic: My pride and joy.  (Read 3531 times)

Offline howie1987

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 92
  • -Receive: 20
    • Email
My pride and joy.
« on: October 19, 2014, 04:53:59 pm »
Awrite everyone.

Never really had a build thread but as its a boring sunday I thought I will start one.

First off I am kinda new here been on for a few months now and a mk5 gti owner for about the same time.

Will start with my last car which I had for about 3 and a half years. it was a Honda civic type r ep3. I won't go on too much about it but I still love Hondas lol. anyway I finally managed to get it to a spec I was happy with but by then it was time to move on.

Anyway here she is

When it all started.

The final pic (could of done with a clean lol) I would be here all day writing the spec but most important thing was she mad 255bhp and still had standard backbox on.

Anyway onto the the golf now.

Finally got her and first thoughts was its a great car was nice and smooth to drive and cruise control was good for the journey back to Glasgow, till my rear tyre shreaded in to bits on the motorway. luckily I had changed my AA cover over already and they were on the scene within 20mins.

Finally got home after a 3hr drive but with the space saver on I couldn't have much fun. so got on the internet orderd myself some new alloys as the one's on it weren't my taste even though they were a cracking set of wheels. so got 4 new tyres falken ze14s aswell (not the best tyre but not the worst) ended up only 3 came from camskill on the day I was booked in to get the alloys fitted so not off to a good start. turns out the front tyres on the golf were near brandnew anyway so used them instead and put falkens on the back. so finally I could have a bit of fun after a week of owning her.

The car came with all the paper work etc and it has been looked after but just for piece of mind I got it booked in for timing belt water pump etc. while it was in it got an oil/filter change and gearbox oil change. I also got some hel braided brake lines and got them fitted with some new brake fluid. brakes had just recently been done so all fine, all was well so got the car back within a few days.

Decided I wanted an induction kit so after some looking I decided to go for the ramair kit at £200, sounds great but different from what am use to on the type r. anyway I noticed I was loosing boost so checked it over and not knowing what I was looking for I ended up seeing an oil leak. it was the cam gasket so got that changed. I came on here to have a search why I would loose boost and most threads said dv valve, so got a rev g dv and that was it back working fine.

Then came the springs, car was already lowerd on eibachs but it was too low for me and bit crashy so changed them for 25mm all round and it felt so much better, also changed the front bushes on it as one was cracked.

Few weeks down the line the eml came on. can't remember the code but it was n80 fault so changed pvc still light came back on then n80 valve and that has kepted the light off for about a month or so now so fingers crossed.

Decided I wanted to spend a few bob so started off with milltek turbo back.

I went for the resonated one and was surprised by how quiet it was but still sounds nice, I wish I went for non resonated not but not that much that I will change.

Decided then I wanted an intercooler, after some research I went for the THS s3 intercooler which I ended up grabbing from someone on here payed £350

Then after reading more about mapping etc I decided I was going for it. after learning from the last time I thought I might aswell just save the bits up and get it all done at once. so decided I needed a fuel pump so went for the autotech internals got for a good price on here aswell payed £230

One day driving home it just came to me that I should change the clutch aswell. I hadn't really budgeted for it but its pointless having extra power if you can't use it. so back on researching and decided I was going to go for helix. then I saw in the forsale section a stage 3 loba smf came up for grabs. so snapped that up and sachs flywheel for £650

Also got a set of r8 coil pack and a set of ngk spark plugs to go in

So I'm booked in for the 29th of oct for stage 2+ at TDI-north. reason for there is they are known to be one of the best on the Honda scene and them doing the work on my old car was 2nd to none. they teamed up with AMD a while ago and are closest to me which is a bonus. I know paul at tdi won't let the car leave till its the best he can make it.

I know this is dragging on. with the car having a few dings and dents I wanted them fixed but was going to wait but they were playing on my mind so anyway I got them fixed £150 so not bad cheaper than I expected and managed it with out damaged paint work. so decided I was going to get her wrapped and I had place I was talking to for a while but they were doing a deal for a limited time so booked it in.

Heres car when I got her and before wrap then afters.

Almost forgot... I got a p3 vent gauge aswell. not had time to fit it yet but can't wait to get that fitted.

Just recently had to change the gearbox dogbone mount bolts. was driving it home one night and car felt sluggish, was sitting in idle for a while one night and fan kicked and it was rattling so I checked it and it was hitting a pipe slightly. got it checked out was said bolts as above. gearbox was hanging off so was pretty lucky noting else damged.

Anyway all parts above are being fitted before the drive to TDI on the 29th. its like Christmas I can't wait but dreading it at the same time incase they spot something I haven't lol.

Sorry for rabbling on but I have managed to get in a few months of ownership in on one post lol.

Any input welcome good or bad.

Offline bigeyd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 31
Re: My pride and joy.
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 05:12:15 pm »
Looking good,certainly an upgrade in car and the wrap looks good.
I would look at stoppers as the standard ones are no good unless you juggle around with pads and discs.

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 05:16:29 pm »
I used TDI north for mods on my Ep3. Paul is a very knowledgable guy when it comes to the K20.

Has he tuned a TFSI before though? Very different beast to the K20  :confused:
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline howie1987

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 05:22:07 pm »
I used TDI north for mods on my Ep3. Paul is a very knowledgable guy when it comes to the K20.

I'm not 100% sure if he has but they did team up with AMD over a year ago so am pretty sure they wouldn't touch them if he didn't know what he was doing but yeah totally different machine. I think AMD maps are generic maps anyway are they not?

Offline howie1987

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 05:24:03 pm »
Looking good,certainly an upgrade in car and the wrap looks good.
I would look at stoppers as the standard ones are no good unless you juggle around with pads and discs.
Yeah its been on my mind the last week or so. will be the next thing on the list i think. i wasn't planning modding as much when i got the car but once you get the bug you can't stop it lol.

Offline Wolf Burger

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 05:52:15 pm »
Liking the wrap
Golf Mk6R 2011- Rising Blue- Manual-
Modifications-
E-Tuners 361 BHP - 350lbs
Revo Intake
Bilstein B16 & H&R ARB's
Team Dynamics 1.3
18Z Porsche BBK
RNS510 with Focal Speaker upgrade
MK6 Recaro Heated Buckets
Cruise Control
Highline Reverse Camera

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 06:37:32 pm »

I'm not 100% sure if he has but they did team up with AMD over a year ago so am pretty sure they wouldn't touch them if he didn't know what he was doing but yeah totally different machine. I think AMD maps are generic maps anyway are they not?

Yeah AMD maps are generic.

Have you considered going to R-Tech? They are the TDI North of the TFSI world  :signLOL:

Offline howie1987

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 06:39:20 pm »

Have you considered going to R-Tech?
I did consider them and actually spoke to them. But its an 8hour drive there. That was the only thing puting me off.

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2014, 06:44:06 pm »

Have you considered going to R-Tech?
I did consider them and actually spoke to them. But its an 8hour drive there. That was the only thing puting me off.

Ah fair enough. That's a fair treck

Offline bigeyd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 31