Make a donation

Author Topic: Booked in for Stage 1 - now stage 2!!  (Read 14127 times)

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
Re: Booked in for Stage 1 - now stage 2!!
« Reply #60 on: November 26, 2014, 12:56:13 pm »
Mate how did you get past the barrier chain thing? I wanted to but it was a no go  :sad1:

I think he knows he can trust me not to throw myself under the Dyno  :signLOL:
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline grumpy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2014, 07:46:30 pm »
Gray, sounds like you've got a great useable output there, you must be loving it. What you're describing is exactly what i'm after....no sucking noise in the engine bay, no loud exhaust noise but plenty of oomph with pretty good traction.

Would I be right in saying the linear throttle map helps in getting the power down? I think i'll be going the linear route.

Thanks.

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2014, 08:18:43 pm »
Gray, sounds like you've got a great useable output there, you must be loving it. What you're describing is exactly what i'm after....no sucking noise in the engine bay, no loud exhaust noise but plenty of oomph with pretty good traction.

Would I be right in saying the linear throttle map helps in getting the power down? I think i'll be going the linear route.

Thanks.

Yeah definetly, it feels a bit odd to begin with as the stock throttle map has lots of power at the top of the pedal and the linear throttle requires more of a prod to make the car fast, however. . .  When your just pootling about, or driving to poor road conditions it makes modulating the power much easier and you never find the car running away with you when trying to drive gently.

Niki also recons it gives better fuel economy - I've noticed an improvement during gentle driving.

Cruise control seems to work better too, it's not as jerky as before.

Overall I'm very pleased with the whole setup. I can drive round gently with ease, and when the mood takes. . I can get all the power down on the road  :happy2:
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline grumpy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2014, 09:06:03 pm »
The way you're describing the linear throttle is how I imagined it to be. It sounds like a necessary tweak for those of us who want a re-map but don't fancy shelling out on a diff.

I noticed mine was more eager to spin up as soon as the uprated hpfp was fitted so i'd imagine with that power you have it's a good idea to keep an eye on front tyre wear and put them to the rear to give them a rest a little earlier than usual!

Thanks.

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #64 on: November 27, 2014, 09:25:24 pm »
^^^^ Def go the Linear route and if your after a stage1 to stage2 then yes it's usable. You'll still get a fair bit of wheel hop unless you fit some decent uprated engine mounts (all round) and anti lift kit...at least.

Even with my linear progressive map at stage 2+ she can be a fecking animal if you go WOT to early.......and yeap tyres don't last 10k miles anymore!  :signLOL: :signLOL:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline grumpy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #65 on: November 27, 2014, 10:17:39 pm »
Lol cheers MC71, yours must be a beast at 360something. What a toy!

I've got the WALK and ths fr3 side mounts with vwr lower mount but to be honest i'm not that impressed with the ths mounts, even without re-mapping there is still too much engine movement, coming down the gears from high speed the engine movement is disappointing. Been looking at the revo mounts.

I'm on my 4th set of f1 asy2 and i've not managed to get 10 thou out of any of them lol, with 360something you must be achieving 6 or 7 thou at a guess?!

Thanks.

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2014, 12:04:51 am »
^^^^ Have read a few peeps unhappy with the THS mounts, usually excessive vibration.

Look at Vibra Technics for side engine mounts as an alternative to the REVO ones. I believe Vibra Technics are releasing new mounts to replace their current ones and will be cheaper too. Might be worth a call.

Tyres....I get around 5-7k from a pair of front GY F1 2's.   :innocent:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline grumpy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #67 on: November 30, 2014, 08:30:31 pm »
^^^
(Sorry Gray, don't mean to hog your post)

Wel MC71, strangely, i'm not getting any vibration whatsoever with the THS side mounts, my only complaint is that there is too much engine rock and i'm not even mapped, not too noticeable on the upchange but on the brakes coming down the gears it's obvious. And i've only put about 4k on them. They do give a nice growl though! When they come off i'll sell them for pennies!

What I would love to know is the following, bearing in mind I already have the VWR lower...

Which pair of side mounts offer the most hold with the least vibes?

Thanks in advance for anyone's input.

So you get 5-7k? lol you hooligan :-)