Make a donation

Author Topic: Intake worth it ?  (Read 5354 times)

Offline 56OctyVRS

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 72
Re: Intake worth it ?
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2014, 11:12:06 am »
It was noticeable as I lived in a hilly area and I had to use more revs than normal to get the car moving. With a bigger turbo you will produce more power and torque low down than a smaller turbo so cant really compare the two. I believe that some people get lost in number chasing rather than a fast road car. Like the old days when people fitted kent cams with massive profiles; but it meant you had peaky power and had to rev the engine to get any power out of it. There was no flexibility with the power band and that's what makes a fast road car.
Frozen White Ford Focus 1.6 Ecoboost Titanium.
Mods so far - Superchips Bluefin, High Flow Air Box

Offline Scottymon

• Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2014, 11:24:30 am »
When I had my Volant CAI I noticed a few hundred RPM difference before the TRQ came in over the standard airbox, doesn't sound like much, but for regular driving I prefer the standard airbox.

I also thought that smaller turbos were better lower down as they spin up faster and the big turbo having all the fun up top?

Offline edd30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2014, 01:11:37 pm »
What is it that results in the free flow induction pipes give less torque ? Loss of air velocity ?

Offline flashp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 65
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2014, 06:33:08 pm »
Does going back to an OE intake get rid of the compressor surge that can occur? Interesting thread this.  :popcornsoda:
I had an intake fitted (Revo) and it does what it's supposed to do, very good on track and it's what I asked for...good on track.
I've noticed the torque spread change and also some compressor surge is present if you happen to be in a less than optimal gear for the rpm.

Gone but not forgotten :-)

Offline 56OctyVRS

• Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 72
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2014, 07:19:09 pm »
Does going back to an OE intake get rid of the compressor surge that can occur? Interesting thread this.  :popcornsoda:
I had an intake fitted (Revo) and it does what it's supposed to do, very good on track and it's what I asked for...good on track.
I've noticed the torque spread change and also some compressor surge is present if you happen to be in a less than optimal gear for the rpm.

I think with compressor surge is down to the mapping and how aggressive the turbo is allowed to spool.  I didn't suffer this with the shark performance map but you raise a good point there. I had boost fluctuations when I had a k&n panel filter fitted; but that went when I fitted a paper filter. I wondeÅ• if there is an element of maf sensor readings being sensitive on anything but the oe maf housing.
Frozen White Ford Focus 1.6 Ecoboost Titanium.
Mods so far - Superchips Bluefin, High Flow Air Box

Offline Pikey Motorsports

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2014, 12:44:59 am »
the surge is down to the open intake making the noise audible

and 56octy i understand what ur saying low down torque is what most are after in a daily car which doesnt spend alot of its life getting driven hard aslong as its progressive delivery aswell..
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 02:33:16 am by Pikey Motorsports »
TSR PERFORMANCE GTX30 520BHP
LITCHFIELD R35 GT-R 660BHP
MSL E63 AMG 720BHP
HCP BM3 M5 800BHP