Make a donation

Author Topic: newbie remap questions  (Read 1256 times)

Offline coop

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
newbie remap questions
« on: July 02, 2010, 02:23:59 pm »
Just got my first GTI and am thinking I need more power, just wanted to check a few things first though before I look into which map to go for.

Firstly does a remap effect my insurance, can a insurance company pick up that its been mapped if I don't declare it.

If I upgrade to say 250bhp what does that do to the mpg.

How does  the standard GTi cope with the extra power in terms of handling.

Will I significantly increase the wear on the engine.

Does it lower the resell value.

Offline big al

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 93
    • Email
Re: newbie remap questions
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 02:47:26 pm »
May be best for you to go for a bluefin, as you can remove that at any time, so if you do decide to sell it on, you can also sell the handse seperately.

With regards not delcaring it, don't even think about it fella!!! If you have a crash, and the insurance company pick up on it being remapped, (which they will) then your policy is null and void, they will not pay out a penny, even if the crash was not your fault.

Not sure about hte other parts, though have head that fuel consumption does increase slightly!

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 02:48:03 pm »
Just got my first GTI and am thinking I need more power, just wanted to check a few things first though before I look into which map to go for.

1. Firstly does a remap effect my insurance, can a insurance company pick up that its been mapped if I don't declare it.

2. If I upgrade to say 250bhp what does that do to the mpg.

3. How does  the standard GTi cope with the extra power in terms of handling.

4. Will I significantly increase the wear on the engine.

1. A remap will almost definately increase your premium, if they will even insure you anymore ?!!, failure to declare a remap will invalidate your policy if its found after any incident, potentially leaving you with huge bills.

2. MPG in my experience doesn't suffer to much at all, the only thing is you boot it a bit more which of course uses more fuel

3. the Gti can more than cope with the power, i had 300+bhp in my ed30 and it was fine, wet weather and snow can be a tad slippy though  :laugh:

4. Again it depends how you drive it, if you drive like a madman everywhere in 1st and 2nd etc it will wear out, many people on here have had maps on there cars for 60k + miles and not had problems, a potential issue might be clutches, but i have only read this myself about ed30's, not Gti's so might be worth a check on this.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 02:55:54 pm by 182_blue »

Offline rtechniki

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 27
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 04:03:44 pm »
A stage1 remap will only see around 240bhp when flashed to a 2.0TFSI with stock hardware.  To get to 250bhp you will need a full performance exhaust system from the turbo back a cold air induction kit.
The VAG 2.0TFSI engine are solid as a rock, silly little issues are commom such as the dv rubber splitting and leaking boost off. MPG for the first few weeks of the remap you will need to tow a fuel station along with you  :laugh: as you will be having so much fun with your new found power. Once you start driving like for like then you will be saving a few mpg.

As with insurance you need to tell them really, as they have started to ask certain people in the UK to investigate ecus and the code which is on them.

Nick Gower
R-Tech Performance Tuning
Hinckley 01455 617233
Bespoke ECU Software for 1.8T & 2.0TFSI

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 04:17:21 pm »
I also agree that the insurance company should be told (its a question my customers ask every day) although to date in the UK a claim has not been denied due to not declaring a remap. The issue is with the fact that most ECU systems do not store a date against a change in the software so its extremely difficult for it to be proven that the current owner modified the car and not a previous owner.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 04:35:38 pm »

How does  the standard GTi cope with the extra power in terms of handling.

Will I significantly increase the wear on the engine.

....As everyone else has answered re insurance and mpg.

- It depends on your style of driving but beyond Stage1 you may feel the need for more responsive braking power. Also, anti-roll bars. Modding is a slippery slope and you could be considering suspension and even a diff.

- The more you push the performance envelope the harder your engine will be asked to work. This is why I personally prefer to stay at Stage2. But VW's are designed and built with a decent headroom of tolerance.

- Value will depend on many factors. A remapped car needs more maintenance and a knowledgable buyer would want to see evidence of this. Often a modified car is more loved and better looked after. You just need to watchout for and avoid those who only do a remap and thrash it.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!