Make a donation

Author Topic: Golf automatically locked all the doors with keys inside. Can it be disabled?  (Read 6657 times)

Offline zed4

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 1
    • New Forest Sports Car Hire
    • Email
  • My Ride: 2006 VW Golf GTI DSG
Hi,

My girlfriend managed to lock her keys in the car this morning and thus relieved herself of £85 for the privilege of getting back inside. She unlocked the car and opened the passenger door. She put her handbag on the seat, shut the door and walked around to the driver’s side, only to find it was locked. All the doors were locked.

What happened there? Is this the auto lock feature which locks the car after a few seconds if the doors aren’t opened? But the passenger door was opened, does this system require the driver’s door to be opened in order to prevent the car from locking again? If so, can this be disabled? I don’t need a car to start locking itself, we’re capable of doing that ourselves!

Thanks,

Dan
New Forest Sports Car Hire  - TVR Chimaera 400, Caterham Roadsport SV 140, Porsche Cayman S, BMW M135i

Offline th3_f15t

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 183
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101525.0.html
May be a faulty system, but as far as I'm aware, opening any door or the boot will prevent the auto lock. First this to do is test it out, unlock and leave, to see that it works, then unlock again and open just the passenger door and see.

Could always be a unlucky of something hit the key which sent out the lock signal. I'm not sure if having a low battery in the key can cause it to throw signals to the car also.

Above all else, never put the key down inside the car for this reason, it's a PITA!

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline DANBOY66

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,74301.0.html
I would get the car scanned possibly faulty lock not registering the door had opened and then rearmed the car locking all doors
My old mk4 golf used to do this the interior light would not work if I banged the door around the lock the light used to come on and the car would not lock itself
Dan..

Seat Ibiza cupra 06 1.8T GTX2867R GEN2 track toy in the making
Passat TDI 170 DSG the Family mini cab

Offline zed4

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 1
    • New Forest Sports Car Hire
    • Email
  • My Ride: 2006 VW Golf GTI DSG
Thanks for your replies. I’ve read on PH that a faulty passenger door switch can cause this. The car doesn’t think the door has been opened, so it locks the car again. Could be that. I’ll test it later.

The only thing that concerns me is that I’ve recently fitted a load of new VW stereo kit including a gateway and had it all recoded. Plus it’s just been remapped, so the electronics have been fiddled about with a lot recently!
New Forest Sports Car Hire  - TVR Chimaera 400, Caterham Roadsport SV 140, Porsche Cayman S, BMW M135i

Offline Matthewsimone

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 39
Thats more than likely a faulty door switch mate, quite common on mk4/mk5 golfs

Easiest way to check it is unlock the car and open each door one at a time checking that the interior lights come on as it is all on the same circuit

Basically if the switch is knackered the car doesn't know the door has been opened so just automatically locks itself after 30 seconds or so!

Had the same issue on our old mk4 Gt tdi
Drivers door switch was fooked so interior ligh only ever came on with passenger door open etc
Bit of a ball ache to change it as whole door needs stripping down
Mk5 Golf....... The Real GTI Reborn