Make a donation

Author Topic: New owner  (Read 1093 times)

Offline GTIEagles

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
New owner
« on: November 18, 2014, 09:50:37 am »
Hi guys,

I bought myself a bargain MK5 Golf GTI at the weekend (this seems like a good time of the year to get bargains!)

In the past I have owned a late MK2+MK3 Golf GTIs and a Corrado 16v & VR6 Storm so I'm a proper Veedub nut!

For the last 2.5 years I have been driving a great but boring Audi A4 130PD so it's nice to finally be back in a performance car!

I'm not new to the MK5 Golf GTI's as my father use to work for VW and was often bringing them home which is what partly made me want one.

My car is a 2005 straight black manual model with 100K and only 2 previous owners. It's completely unmodified and has a thorough service history. Build quality is a bit of a step down from the Audi but I was expecting that (some annoying rattles and squeaks to iron out) and the tyres are in desperate need of replacing.

The thing that has been bugging me is how slack the gearchange is compared to the Audi which still felt like new. Is there anything I can do fix this? It engages fine but there is quite a bit of play which is not confidence inspiring when using the gears. I was reading this post: http://www.r32oc.com/topic/43306-loose-gearshifter-easy-fix/ and it seems like it might be worth a try? Has anyone experienced the same thing?

Phil