Make a donation

Author Topic: Polishing advice needed...  (Read 1621 times)

Offline JimmyC92

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88339.msg896687.html#msg896687
Polishing advice needed...
« on: November 18, 2014, 05:31:10 pm »
Hi, fairly new to detailing etc, if you view my car thread you will see my first attempt at polishing a car a few months ago, my question is how many passes do you guys give the car when polishing? I do mine by hand due to lack of funds to invest in a DA. Also how long do you give it before wiping off the polish?

Any advice would be most welcome.
Looking for some BBS CH/LM Reps to swap for my Classix plus cash your way:
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,91888.msg924311.html#msg924311

Offline AndyBrown

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
Re: Polishing advice needed...
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 06:13:54 pm »
If you're trying to remove swirls you're best saving for a DA, won't get anywhere by hand.
Im not sure if polish needs to be left on the car tbh. I leave sealent on for half hour or more before removing, Polish I just take straight off.

Offline gctdi00001

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 09:10:15 pm »
When I do this by hand I personally use the auto glym super resin polish (probably a few passes), wait until it goes hard (5 mins) followed by collinite 476 wax and this works reasonably well!
But as mentioned by Andy with VW paint being so hard you can't remove swirls like this!
Good luck Jimmy  :happy2:

Offline AndyBrown

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 09:15:59 pm »
SRP will help with the appearance as it's got fillers in it, it's only temporary tho, eventually you'll need to use it again to refill the clear coat.

Good stuff like.