• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Numpty
« on: November 18, 2014, 10:40:50 pm »
Hello everyone,

Just bought a mk5 gti at the weekend. 72k, leather, 3dr, dsg. Mk1 GTI in the garage, having a pair just seems like a brilliant result.

Lovely cars, I had a 2000 leon cupra for a while and found the old freeware vag com hugely useful a couple of times. Only had the car a couple of days and dsg is already turning out to be a bit lumpy at low speed (fantastic once you get going tho). Ross tech have got us all over a barrel now by the looks of it but based on my past experience well worth it so have ordered a cable. Got an old virused up laptop that I thought might be good for diagnostics, wiped the whole thing, installed Ubuntu and downloaded VCDS. Didn't work - needs windows - numpty!

Needless to say windows disk for that machine was long gone. Tried Wine (a windows application syth) no luck there. Eventually I've setup virtualbox running a vm that I've installed a downloaded windows xp ISO on (which I assume is ok from licensing perspective because it was xp that was on the machine originally) that's now successfully running VCDS. This is how you run VCDS on Linux!

Not even got the bloody cable yet but suspect that I'll be doing dsg oil change and clutch alignment/dsg reset as soon as it arrives. Service history is being posted through so be interesting to see when it was last done, I'm half expecting mechatronic issues.

Getting VCDS running like that was a walk in the park in comparison to filling out the bloomin' registration for this site tho... must be good if people are prepared to go through all that!!

Offline numec

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 14
Re: Numpty
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 01:40:58 pm »
welcome to the forum  :happy2:
dont forget to post pictures of your car  :wink:

As for the DSG, i think oil & filter change with DSG reset is a good start for good maintenance. Does it judder when its warm and in reverse?

Offline MC71

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 03:20:03 pm »
Welcome to the fold!  :drinking:

We only let the worthy in here.  :wink:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline Mattg

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 10:07:48 pm »
Thanks for the welcomes. Judder definitely worse when warm although don't really notice it in reverse but then I don't think I do much warm reversing.

Vcds cable arrived but no time to play with it until after the weekend now which is a shame.