Make a donation

Author Topic: Just got mine back  (Read 5597 times)

Offline Hedge

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
Re: Just got mine back
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2009, 04:44:11 pm »

Disconnecting the battery is what usually resets your ECU so that your Revo remap is 'switched off'.

Some Revo dealers charge to reflash but only a nominal sum like £25 to cover their time.

The Revo map is kept is volatile memory? Fuel trim and stuff is normally kept in KAM and is what gets wiped when you disconnect the power (ECU reset) but the base engine management software is normally hard coded to the ECU (EEPROM) - is this really the case? The car reverts to the OE map if power to the ECU is cut?

From when I had REVO if you disconnect the battery you end up with the non-performance settings of B0 T0 F0 plus any adaptions will be out the window.

Offline em2evol

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
  • Let's Motorvate!
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2009, 04:58:49 pm »
The GTI haz a sensor to detect whether 95/98 ron is used and adjusts things accordingly so it is less powerful on 95 ron. At least, that's what I've picked up from here.

Also, why did he need to fill it with petrol? Did he go joyriding?

Hmm that's interesting about the sensor... very clever!

He had to put petrol in it because I gave them the car on Thurs with no fuel (stupid of me I know but they could've put 98/99 in!) and the place is 70 miles away from me (it's the boss's brother's place and he was so kind as to let me have a good discount) so there we have it...  :P

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2009, 06:35:00 pm »

From when I had REVO if you disconnect the battery you end up with the non-performance settings of B0 T0 F0 plus any adaptions will be out the window.

....That's how I understand it too.

After a battery disconnection and reconnection, if you have a Revo switch box you can just reload the Revo settings as you last had them.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline revo carl

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2009, 10:23:40 am »
The GTI haz a sensor to detect whether 95/98 ron is used and adjusts things accordingly so it is less powerful on 95 ron. At least, that's what I've picked up from here.

Wrong;
these are knock sensors and will detect high levels of knock (pre detonation!) and reduce timing/load requests, if running switchable software it's always advisable to switch the car to the appropriate fuel setting to stop this happening as the vehicle will take a long time to adapt out of this so the car will feel down on power for a long period after switching back to good fuel!

:grin: I do worry an awful lot about my lovely GTI, I just want everything to be dandy! I was annoyed even that the fleet guy who dropped my car off put his briefcase on the passenger seat! THAT DOES NOT HAPPEN!  :grin:

Lol! As far as I know there have been no updates to the GTI yet so there would be no reason for your dealer to re-flash the ECU but if you’re worried you can just verify that your software is still present with your REVO dealer.

These cars (MED17 ECU) do not switch to stock with a battery disconnect IIRC…… but I will check for you all!  :smiley:

Offline em2evol

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
  • Let's Motorvate!
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2009, 11:47:36 am »

Wrong;
these are knock sensors and will detect high levels of knock (pre detonation!) and reduce timing/load requests, if running switchable software it's always advisable to switch the car to the appropriate fuel setting to stop this happening as the vehicle will take a long time to adapt out of this so the car will feel down on power for a long period after switching back to good fuel!

A long period?   :confused:  How long is long? My car felt proper sluggish compared to normal this morn  :sad1:

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 8
  • .:R32
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2009, 11:50:01 am »

Wrong;

Also worth noting that knock sensors are far from unique to the GTi - it's just down to how adaptable the car's ECU is.

Carl, confirmation on the loss of Revo settings after a battery disconnect would be greatly appreciated. As I said, I know fuel trim, ignition timing etc are stored in KAM but actual Revo settings too?
Only 250.1bhp - but with that noise, who cares?

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2009, 11:53:15 am »

Wrong;

A long period?   :confused:  How long is long? My car felt proper sluggish compared to normal this morn  :sad1:

A good few miles I would've thought, although I can't really comment on VW ECU's - This is when a battery disconnect for 30 mins would help as it clears all the stored values and allows the ECU to start again.

Off to text my friendly VAG calibration engineer...

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2009, 12:15:54 pm »
Mine 100% loses the Revo settings after every battery disconnect.

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2009, 12:19:17 pm »

Fair enough, not ideal though? Is this only a Revo thing or is it something to do with VW ECUs?

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2009, 05:13:18 pm »

....So does mine (GTI not Ed30) but the other question is whether the original Revo T/B/F settings are restored when using the standard Revo Select to switch back to Performance map afterwards  - Mine does.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline revo carl

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2009, 02:17:04 pm »
The MED9 ECU's (MK5 2.0t etc) will switch to stock when the battery is disconnected yes, the newer cars fitted with the MED17 ECU (MK6, Rocco etc) will not switch to stock with a battery disconnect

the reason we did this with the MED9 ECU was it was something that a lot of our customers asked for at the time and thus it was set in place, we have not been asked to do this with the MED17 ECU and thus haven't  :wink:

A good few miles I would've thought, although I can't really comment on VW ECU's - This is when a battery disconnect for 30 mins would help as it clears all the stored values and allows the ECU to start again.

Off to text my friendly VAG calibration engineer...

Doesn’t need to be 30mins, 30seconds will do it on these ECU's

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2009, 02:56:34 pm »
^^^^
Thanks for clearing that up, Carl  :happy2:

After a battery disconnect on a MED9 ECU, when one uses a standard Revo Select switch to re-'load' the Performance map settings, I assume the ECU must have 'remembered' the most recent T/B/F values as previously to the battery disconnect.

Peskarik

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2009, 03:57:51 pm »
Just got my car back from a service and cambelt change / new brakes etc (expensive!) and the guy who dropped my car back goes "and I've put £20 of fuel in it for you" I said "95ron or 99?" and he goes "95..." I was like "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"   :sad1: The tank is half full now with 95 ron fuel, is it best to fill it to the top with 99 or wait until I've used this crappy stuff up before putting a good lot in?

yep, that's it, your car will explode now...  :stupid:

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2009, 04:07:59 pm »
Intrigued to know why so many customers requested the map revert to standard after a battery disconnect though?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 04:11:03 pm by animal »

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2009, 05:41:34 pm »
these are knock sensors and will detect high levels of knock (pre detonation!) and reduce timing/load requests
I knew it was something like this but couldn't remember the details. Thanks  :happy2:

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.