Make a donation

Author Topic: The Golf Condensation Syndrome.  (Read 16031 times)

Offline dom069

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 17
Re: The Golf Condensation Syndrome.
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2014, 11:04:15 am »
My car is also full of condensation at the moment as well, although mine was caused by leaving the window open an inch overnight on Saturday :stupid:

BC Racing Coilovers : R32 Rear Bumper : Milltek Cat Back : R32 Rear Lights : S3 Brakes : Colour Coded Side Skirts : US Grill : 18" BBS CH : De-Wipered : Bluefin Remap : Pipercross Filter : S3 Short Shifter : Powerflex Wishbone Bushes : MK6 Steering Wheel : RCD510

Offline mrxbox360

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 10
  • My Ride: 2008 Golf Mk5 GT TDI Sport 5dr Reflex Silver Personal Enchanced
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2014, 11:32:21 am »
My car is also full of condensation at the moment as well, although mine was caused by leaving the window open an inch overnight on Saturday :stupid:

I had the same this morning due to my wife leaving the drivers window fully open all last night  :stupid: but it wasn't her fault even thought she used the car all yesterday :mad:

Offline J400uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 27
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,98768.0.html
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2014, 11:47:27 am »
Condensation in my Mk6 is terrible, this morning I had water dripping down from the top of the windscreen into the interior and yesterday there was a thin layer of frost inside. Absolute joke for a 3-year old car.

I've got the Thomar bag linked to on Amazon, it helps for a while but I'm currently having to 'regenerate' it as its absorbed the max moisture it can take.
2015 Audi TT Sport Scuba Blue 2.0 TFSI 230 PS

Offline Matthewsimone

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 39
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2014, 02:21:13 pm »
Im affraid if mine was doing this it would be getting sold! Cant be dealing with damp motors not in 2014, 1980 maybe  :grin:

Ive always been mad on my fords and people say they poor quality etc but sounds like some of these modern Vw's are are bloody terrible with faults and leaks etc  :sick:
Mk5 Golf....... The Real GTI Reborn

Offline adminkatana

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2014, 06:38:52 pm »
For what it's worth I bought/ saved up loads of the silica packets. Some of the packets were huge (came with an iMac) but nothing really helped. The Amazon ThoMar thing is the only thing that has made a difference. Will need to regenerate it on the radiator soon though!

I think Ford pinched the 'heating element in windscreen' thing when they owned Land Rover. Drove a Range Rover Sport for a while and the screen cleared almost instantly in any weather (when you got close to the screen you could see all the little element wires)  :smiley:

Offline Scottymon

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2014, 06:42:20 pm »
Used to own a Mk1 Focus that had a heated windscreen, amazing in the winter with snow/ice.  Have it in my Landy, love it.

I don't really suffer from condensation in the Golf tbh, as long as the interior glass is clean.

Offline Matthewsimone

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 39
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2014, 06:52:29 pm »
For what it's worth I bought/ saved up loads of the silica packets. Some of the packets were huge (came with an iMac) but nothing really helped. The Amazon ThoMar thing is the only thing that has made a difference. Will need to regenerate it on the radiator soon though!

I think Ford pinched the 'heating element in windscreen' thing when they owned Land Rover. Drove a Range Rover Sport for a while and the screen cleared almost instantly in any weather (when you got close to the screen you could see all the little element wires)  :smiley:

Yes had that on my fiesta St and really was the bee's knees  :smiley:
Such a simple idea but ford have the patent on it so doubt we ever see it on anything German!
Mk5 Golf....... The Real GTI Reborn

Offline Scottymon

• Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2014, 07:04:01 pm »

Yes had that on my fiesta St and really was the bee's knees  :smiley:
Such a simple idea but ford have the patent on it so doubt we ever see it on anything German!

Hasn't the patent ran out?  Isn't it 10 years before it's a free for all?  My Focus Mk1 was a 2000 X Plate

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2014, 07:11:09 pm »

dansmith180

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2014, 07:18:34 pm »
They have heated windscreens on the Rolls Royce Phantom

Offline skard

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 245
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,62636
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2014, 07:51:02 pm »
You can spec them on the mk7.

I bought those big pads a couple of winters ago, they are ok if strategically placed and dried out now and again.

As daft as it sounds, I put a scoop of unused clumping type cat litter in a tub a few years back as a test, and it helped. It was basically the same as those dehumidifier boxes for rooms with wet windows.
Used to have Edition 30 - number 009 and a GT TDI 140.
Now have an S4 B8 Avant (stage 2)

Offline H18Golf

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 10
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2014, 08:47:54 pm »
Bought a pollen filter to fit to see if it helps before I go and buy the amazon thingy.   :happy2:

Offline GTI5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2014, 10:11:49 am »
Both my Golfs have had condensation build up on the inside from a frosty night, although not dripping.

IME Silica bags are useless.

Changing the pollen filter made no difference either.
MK6 GTI Revo
MK5 GTI DSG - Gone

Offline Mk5Dom

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 19
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2014, 10:24:29 am »
Bit of an update on mine...

It originally happened Monday AM on the commute so I tried a few things on Monday night ready for Tuesday AM as I knew there'd be another frost. Albeit not quite as severe.

I took the drivers side mat out and put it in the utility room. It wasn't soaking but it was slightly damp from the rain on Sunday.

I then covered the windscreen with one of these frost covers I grabbed off eBay last week.

Finally, I opened all the doors to do away with the heat from the drive home. I left them open for about 5/10 minutes while I was tinkering with our older Derv.

Those 3 seemed to improve things significantly. I had no water on the inside and very little misting. Rather content but time will tell.

Dom

Sent from my blower using Tapatalk.
Past: MY07/Mk5 Golf Match 1.9 TDI 105PS Manual Steel Grey Metallic
Present: MY13/Mk7 Golf GT 2.0 TDI 150PS DSG Tornado Red, MY14/2K Caddy Startline 1.6 TDI 102PS Manual Candy White

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2014, 11:08:39 am »
Here's what I've done to mine to stop it:

Sunroof drain tube unblocked which was causing ingress.
Cleared bonnet drainage channels with pressure washer to stop sitting water.
Bought a 100 packs of silica gel from eBay and dotted them throughout the car.
Put a small amount of washing up liquid on a microfibre towel and spread onto window (internal) and then buff off. This leaves a hydrophobic coating so water doesn't stick as easily.
Leave a hairdryer in the car, not in direct contact with anything that will melt and let it dry the car out throughout for a few hours.