Make a donation

Author Topic: Digital Camera File Types  (Read 3673 times)

Offline 08micsta

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 63
  • Smart Fortwo 600cc
    • Email
Digital Camera File Types
« on: November 06, 2008, 11:47:33 am »
Hello guys

With Joes recent questions on HDR images etc I thought I would post this up to aid those that dont quite know what the abbreviations are.

Here we are:

TIFF is, in principle, a very flexible format that can be lossless or lossy. The details of the image storage algorithm are included as part of the file. In practice, TIFF is used almost exclusively as a lossless image storage format that uses no compression at all. Most graphics programs that use TIFF do not compression. Consequently, file sizes are quite big.

PNG is also a lossless storage format. However, in contrast with common TIFF usage, it looks for patterns in the image that it can use to compress file size. The compression is exactly reversible, so the image is recovered exactly.

GIF creates a table of up to 256 colors from a pool of 16 million. If the image has fewer than 256 colors, GIF can render the image exactly. When the image contains many colors, software that creates the GIF uses any of several algorithms to approximate the colors in the image with the limited palette of 256 colors available. Better algorithms search the image to find an optimum set of 256 colors. Sometimes GIF uses the nearest color to represent each pixel, and sometimes it uses "error diffusion" to adjust the color of nearby pixels to correct for the error in each pixel.

JPG is optimized for photographs and similar continuous tone images that contain many, many colors. It can achieve astounding compression ratios even while maintaining very high image quality. GIF compression is unkind to such images. JPG works by analyzing images and discarding kinds of information that the eye is least likely to notice. It stores information as 24 bit color. Important: the degree of compression of JPG is adjustable. At moderate compression levels of photographic images, it is very difficult for the eye to discern any difference from the original, even at extreme magnification. Compression factors of more than 20 are often quite acceptable. Better graphics programs, such as Paint Shop Pro and Photoshop, allow you to view the image quality and file size as a function of compression level, so that you can conveniently choose the balance between quality and file size.

RAW is an image output option available on some digital cameras. Though lossless, it is a factor of three of four smaller than TIFF files of the same image. The disadvantage is that there is a different RAW format for each manufacturer, and so you may have to use the manufacturer's software to view the images. (Some graphics applications can read some manufacturer's RAW formats.)

BMP is an uncompressed proprietary format invented by Microsoft. There is really no reason to ever use this format.

PSD, PSP, etc. , are proprietary formats used by graphics programs. Photoshop's files have the PSD extension, while Paint Shop Pro files use PSP. These are the preferred working formats as you edit images in the software, because only the proprietary formats retain all the editing power of the programs. These packages use layers, for example, to build complex images, and layer information may be lost in the nonproprietary formats such as TIFF and JPG. However, be sure to save your end result as a standard TIFF or JPG, or you may not be able to view it in a few years when your software has changed.

Currently, GIF and JPG are the formats used for nearly all web images. PNG is supported by most of the latest generation browsers. TIFF is not widely supported by web browsers, and should be avoided for web use. PNG does everything GIF does, and better, so expect to see PNG replace GIF in the future. PNG will not replace JPG, since JPG is capable of much greater compression of photographic images, even when set for quite minimal loss of quality.

I have taken this info off a few websites etc so if something is wrong feel free to corect it. Im sure Nick will be along with some changes  :innocent:

The HDR File Type:

Not understanding a lot about this file type myself and still playing around with it here is a link which explains how to take HDR shots, Edit them and finalise them. Its quite a bit of reading but is very interesting.

http://www.nicolasgenette.com/Labo/Articles/HDR/index_us.php

Lets see what you guys can come up with.  :happy2:

The next part that I will be focusing on is different shooting techniques for different environments etc. I.E car photography etc.

Mike

No PAS. No ESP. No DSC. No TCS. No ABS. Just my right foot between me and oblivion. Oh - And a seatbelt.

Offline Horney

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Re: Digital Camera File Types
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 12:31:32 pm »
Yeah good stuff there mike. I would only add that RAW Files aren't .RAW like .JPG or .GIF. They can be .ANYTHING! and they contain the raw data from your camera sensor with no compression or adjustment to a format.

Nick

Offline 08micsta

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 63
  • Smart Fortwo 600cc
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 12:34:34 pm »
Oh  :embarrassed:

How does a computer read it though? I assume you have to have a special program etc to open the RAW image like CS2 or CS3 photoshop?

What if someone does not have this?

Mike
No PAS. No ESP. No DSC. No TCS. No ABS. Just my right foot between me and oblivion. Oh - And a seatbelt.

Offline Horney

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 02:41:05 pm »
All good image packages like photoshop etc have dowloadable plugins for RAW. They do tend however to be behind the manufacturers of the cameras. FOr instance Canon will change their RAW format for each new camera and it takes Adobe etc a few mnths to create a plug in. Until then you have to use the RAW converter that comes on a CD with your camera.

Explained much beter here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raw_image_format

Nick

Offline joesgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
  • Eat my sick, Eat my sick.
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 02:51:39 pm »
nice info mike!! thumbs up  :happy2:

goni have a go at the hd shots at weekend! nick...have you taken any hd stuff? is so any pics?  :smiley:

If you need any games consoles or games, accessories, etc etc, PM me for my best price,

Offline Horney

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 02:59:51 pm »
No I've not tried any HDR yet but I'm planning on giving it a go at somepoint.

www.stuckincustoms.com is a good place for far out HDR images.

Nick

Offline DanGB

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 12
  • Different
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 02:24:10 pm »
You might want to add that there are differnet RAW formats for EACH camera as well, so software often has to be updated to read a certain camera models RAW files.
Seat Leon Mk2 TFSI sport 4WD sleeper - Breaking
Buld thread: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,45377.0.html