Make a donation

Author Topic: MK5 TDi keeps blowing engine fuse 24, engine rattle when switched off?  (Read 8868 times)

Offline gtgeorge

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
MK5 Golf GT Sport TDi , BKD engine, 99,000 miles on it just had its second cambelt and waterpump after the waterpump failed a few weeks ago.

A few weeks ago I decided to plug the vac hose to the EGR to see if my car behaved any better at lower revs/speeds, as its pretty much gutless below 2500 revs. Obviously the engine management light eventually came on and it threw the code emissions too low from EGR or something, after getting pissed off with seeing the engine management light on all the while i decided to refit the vac hose to the EGR valve.

Now i have only ever had one fault code and that was cause i removed and bunged up the vac hose to the EGR, once id refitted it i scanned it and it came back with 2 fault codes, one being the EGR valve hose i bunged up and another one which was -

P2108 - Throttle Actuator Control Module performance

After checking online it said to check fuse 24, which I did and et voila, it was blown. So i replaced it, cleared the code, started the car, light come back on, checked the fuse, blown again ! and it 2 more fuses before I give up with it.

When the ignition is on, but engine off, with a fresh fuse in there is a loud electrical high pitched buzzing come from somewhere in the engine, when the fuse is blown or removed, this noise stops?

It also when you turn it off its making this awful rattling sound, like that dry knock noise it makes when u try put it into gear with the engine off?

Just spent £350 on her getting that cambelt and pump done, they had a 2 day nightmare with it due to rounded bolts !

Offline Matto

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 116
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,37071.0.html
Re: MK5 TDi keeps blowing engine fuse 24, engine rattle when switched off?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 11:07:46 pm »
Sounds a little like the anti-shudder valve is stuck. It is actuated by small plastic cogs which break. I did a little write up somewhere (have a search) on how and why I think they fail. If the cogs are broken and the valve jams, it will take the fuse.

EDIT: Found the link. http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,75990.msg798935.html#msg798935
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 11:13:01 pm by Matto »

Offline gtgeorge

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 11:32:11 pm »
Ahh bugger, more money, sounds like the VVT on the Focus ST170 engines, the IRMC (inlet runner manifold control) unit was full of these plastic cogs, and when one broke it took the rest with it, £300 ish from Ford and absolute nightmare to fit it.

Ill check your link, could this just have happened or is it because i bunged up the vac hose to the EGR ? The car was loads better with it bunged up, until this fault occured !

Offline gtgeorge

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 11:35:19 pm »
The fault codes are different on your guide mate, and mine blows fuse 24, not 8 ?

Offline gtgeorge

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 12:08:13 am »
This is it down to a T, the rattle at the end when u turned it off, guess I need to get the ASV off tomorrow, joyful !

Offline paulw123

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 10:40:53 am »
MK5 Golf GT Sport TDi , BKD engine, 99,000 miles on it just had its second cambelt and waterpump after the waterpump failed a few weeks ago.
What was that like? was there any warning?? thought original waterpump would be good for 100,000 miles at least
GT TDI sport 140 08plate,RCD510 DAB, leather armrest, euro cup holder

Offline gtgeorge

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014, 08:09:48 pm »
It had one at 59,000 but halfords autocentre did it f*cking monkeys f*cked it up lol so was leaking at 95k ish

Offline gtgeorge

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014, 06:19:12 pm »
Well the ASV is defo f*cked. Took it apart was full of oil, motor smelt burnt out too, just left it open and unplugged till i can order one, £182 sodding quid !

Offline Matto

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2014, 06:23:51 pm »
Well the ASV is defo f*cked. Took it apart was full of oil, motor smelt burnt out too, just left it open and unplugged till i can order one, £182 sodding quid !

Will see where my mate had his from. Don't think he paid that much.

Offline Matto

• Thank You

Offline gtgeorge

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2014, 06:33:29 pm »
Cheers mate, found another for £161 on ebay posted. Theres a company based in spain do one for £109 posted but im not risking the wait, the car sounds awful when you turn it off cause ive left the ASV open and left it unplugged, it was stuck open before by now ive had it in bits it sticks shut lol

Offline gtgeorge

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2014, 06:37:24 pm »
Your a star, thanks for that mate, next day delivery aswell, sweet. Ebay is a nightmare at the minute everyones using Hermes and there a crock of sh*t ive waited upto 2 weeks for stuff to arrive before !

Offline Matto

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2014, 06:38:38 pm »
They do a cheaper option but Pierberg is the one fitted from factory. Euro car parts do it aswell for £170. Just need to find yourself a promo code and will probably have them in stock for you to collect.

I used Hermes once and they smashed what I sent to bits so wouldn't bother with them again.

Offline gtgeorge

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2014, 06:44:17 pm »
Thanks mate ive ordered that one, came to £159.35 with next day (Tuesday) delivery with UPS

Just spent £335 on a nightmare cambelt and waterpump job.

Nothing else wrong now, other than a whiny turbo. Im gonna do EGR delete aswell so coked up in there its unreal, i noticed the difference when i refitted the cleaned but f*cked ASV and went and got food earlier, was so much more smooth, its always been gutless at lower revs, you can turn off into a side road in second and plant your foot and it dawdles up to 2000 revs then you get a armload of wheelspin.

Love the looks of it, but defo prefer the engine and handling of my MK4 :(

Offline Matto

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2014, 06:49:19 pm »
Cool. Hopefully it'll get you sorted mate. Yeah I ditched the EGR on mine aswell. Got the Darkside Developments one. You'll need it mapped out when you do eventually removed it as it will throw a fault once its unplugged.

**Thinking about it, isn't yours vacuum operated on the BKD? I know on the BMN it is electronically operated.