Make a donation

Author Topic: remapping a mk5 golf gti  (Read 5595 times)

Offline Matthewsimone

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 39
Re: remapping a mk5 golf gti
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2014, 02:14:02 pm »
No Golfs have ever come with a limited slip diff from the factory apart from the Mk7 which has a quasi electro-mechanical LSD.
On the Mk6 you could specify an electronic diff called XDS this is also something you can enable with VCDS. I've been playing around with it lately with good results.

Disagree but there you go!
A diff before more power is the point i was getting at mate although still say over 200bhp is waste of time/money in fwd car
Been there and done it with a 320bhp mk1 focus Rs and ruined the car im affraid

That's because it was a Ford focus. :signLOL: :signLOL: :signLOL:
The focus RS mk1 diff was terrible to live with, well known. Great car but as a daily driver on cambered roads, it's a pain!!
Diff's have moved on.

Mk5 platform can handle the power very well and you don't really need a diff unless you are going above Stage 2 levels of power. Arguably with an Edition 30 then at a Stage 1 you would see some benefit if you drive the car very hard but on the road for normal use it's not that imporant. Throttles are modular after all ;)

A ford focus it may be but still worth twice a mk5 Gti for a minty one  :grin:
The diff in the mk1 was epic if let at standard power, just takes bit getting used to and need taking by the scruff and actually being driven properly  :driver:

Couldn't disagree more about the mk5 golf platform handling the power at stock levels never mind stage 1 or 2  :rolleye:
Sold my mk1 focus Rs and went for the mk5 Gti as wanted a more usable everyday car that i could enjoy especially with our 1st daughter on the way when i sold it in Jan this year etc
Mk5 is great in lots of areas to live with but when it comes to even a mildly spirited drive in even mildly damp or cold conditions i absolutely hate the thing lately

All of above posts are only my 2 pence worth and no offence intended!
Think maybe im just done with fwd cars and need some 4wd action  :congrats:

Got the wifes mk5 Gt tdi 140 for the sensible booring drives
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 02:24:58 pm by Matthewsimone »
Mk5 Golf....... The Real GTI Reborn

dansmith180

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2014, 02:27:26 pm »
Sorry if you've already said @Matthewsimone what tyres are you running?

Offline Matthewsimone

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2014, 02:34:26 pm »
Michelin ps3 mate  :happy2:

dansmith180

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2014, 02:42:36 pm »
Oh... Strange you're having such problems, I'm running 260bhp and 1st and 2nd gear are a bit pants in this weather but that's to be expected however 3rd and above are fine, maybe a bit of spin or torque steer occasionally but its not a problem for me.

As you said though each to their own and that's just your experience.

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2014, 07:11:00 pm »
As I've said in numerous threads, linear throttle mapping and linear delivery (with decent tyres) makes 300+bhp totally usable.

Linear throttle lets you drive on the limit of traction with ease, stock throttle mapping makes it tough to modulate power and stop he fronts from spinning up  :driver:

@RedRobin has "only" ~260bhp, yet with an LSD and decent handling mods he had lots of traction and a great all round package -despite having a K03 turbo which IMHO is much more difficult to get traction with than a K04  :happy2:

NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

dansmith180

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2014, 07:23:44 pm »
If you haven't got LSD money (like most) then Anti lift kit and superpro engine mount with a quality linear map should give you plenty of grip at a fraction of the price.

Offline ruhaleali

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2014, 08:29:16 pm »
If you do get it mapped GO TO Rtech in Hinckley the best around, I got on a stage 1 255bhp with 310 nm of torque (approx figures).

x

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2014, 08:40:57 pm »
If you haven't got LSD money (like most) then Anti lift kit and superpro engine mount with a quality linear map should give you plenty of grip at a fraction of the price.

....Yes and no.

Anti-lift kit and engine mounts (all three! as the rear mount is the most important for traction) will certainly help traction but a LSD goes a big step further when putting down power in the corners. It's in the corners where an LSD delivers its advantages.

The type of remap will help but really the bottom line is how you use your right foot when you are talking about traction. Remaps are simply how the power is offered to you - The bottom line is how you as an individual driver use it.

Although I am very happy with my Revo Stage 2 by JKM, I would recommend R-Tech too.

All in my opinion.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline ruhaleali

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2014, 08:53:04 pm »
4WD drive is for the feint hearted FWD for the win! heheheh no offence intended lads and ladies!

Offline Matthewsimone

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2014, 09:03:02 pm »
4wd for the win  :laugh:
Yes you lose power through transmission blah blah blah but the simple answer to that is just run monstrous power and easily transfer it to the road  :driver:

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 183
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101525.0.html
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2014, 09:04:11 pm »
At the end of the day, people's driving style and personal preferences always differ, so while one person likes a 500bhp+ FWD car, another won't. Personally, I'm happy keeping my GTI down at about 260bhp, more than enough for daily duties and driving around London.

I do think there's a strong association with power levels and type of roads around where a person lives. Since moving to London, I've stopped wanting big power in favour of a comfy interior and better ride.

So getting back to the original question, a decent re-map from a respectable tuner is the best advice if you want one, but perhaps consider spending the few hundred quid on other things you may enjoy as well (lowering springs, better stereo ect.). Have a look through the Mods section (link along the top red bar) and see what takes your fancy.

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

dansmith180

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2014, 09:29:12 pm »
@RedRobin definitely wasn't implying that they'd be as good as an LSD but for about 15% of the price they'd make a good difference, didn't know about the rear mount though, you might have just cost me money  :laugh: