Make a donation

Author Topic: Scirocco R vs Golf R vs Audi RS3  (Read 6961 times)

Offline Black9

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 19
    • Email
Scirocco R vs Golf R vs Audi RS3
« on: December 11, 2014, 03:42:35 pm »
Considering one of the above, seen a really nice white scirocco R for sale, DSG, wing backs and Revo stage 1/2 among other things...

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/volkswagen/scirocco/volkswagen-scirocco-r-dsg-2011/3114941

Been looking at Golf R's & all i can find for a similar price is blue cars with basic specs, cloth interior etc... Seems Golf R's with good spec demand a higher premium...

Had a look at some audi RS3's... Cars have dropped in value quite a bit but heard some not so good reviews about handling and exterior wise they don't look too exciting

Opinions please??

dansmith180

Re: Scirocco R vs Golf R vs Audi RS3
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 04:40:51 pm »
MK6 R's rarely do much for me personally, I think the MK6 shape wasn't quite there which is probably why it wasn't as popular as the previous models. In fact I see more 7R's than 6's but that might have something to do with crazy lease deals and also might explain why the 6R's are holding value since they're quite rare.

I do like the RS3's but actually prefer the TTRS and like you pointed out there are a few issues I've heard of with them. How cheap are the RS3's now then? I thought they were 25k+

If it was me I would buy the Rocco, put some nice wheels and coilovers on it, then maybe get some 4pots on there and it would look, sound and drive  :drool:  :drool:

Offline Black9

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 05:05:03 pm »
RS3 can be had for around 27/28K. Less With some haggling... Only thing that attracts me to it is the 2.5 5pot engine. Looks nice but somewhat dated IMO...

I didnt really like the look for MK6 Golfs but they have really grown on me, esp a golf R in the right colour and spec, very appealing. Also the 4 wheel drive does attract me to it over the scirocco due to traction in all conditions and if I go for more power it woukd be very useful....

I previously had a ED30 with DSG and around 300bhp and found traction an issue in lower gears, it had Arbs, B12, WALK etc.. Not sure if the scirocco would slip any less due to having an LSD???

The spec of the scirocco R I've posted looks epic, miles a bit high for the year tho  :sad1:

dansmith180

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 05:44:14 pm »
Its a very nice car and the LSD should make a big difference, I've never experienced it personally but there are some reviews on them for MK5's and its a big much much better  apparently.

The good thing with the mileage is that they will be mostly motorway so less wear on suspension/ clutch/ engine etc.. As long as it has a good service history and wasn't thrashed then should be fine.

I would love a 2.5 5pot but for the sake of nearly 10k you could build a weapon of a MK6 R and have 4WD.

Depends what your plans are, also the RS3 will no doubt be quite expensive to run and seems like they're depreciating pretty quick.

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 07:13:58 pm »
Rocco only has the VW XDS system - it's not a real LSD, but an electric replica LSD. Still works really well though, and does help (more so on corners) with traction
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline Black9

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 07:35:18 pm »
Its a very nice car and the LSD should make a big difference, I've never experienced it personally but there are some reviews on them for MK5's and its a big much much better  apparently.

The good thing with the mileage is that they will be mostly motorway so less wear on suspension/ clutch/ engine etc.. As long as it has a good service history and wasn't thrashed then should be fine.

I would love a 2.5 5pot but for the sake of nearly 10k you could build a weapon of a MK6 R and have 4WD.

Depends what your plans are, also the RS3 will no doubt be quite expensive to run and seems like they're depreciating pretty quick.

Yep RS3 does seem over priced in comparison...

Really like the idea of a A45 AMG but 35K starting price seems ridiculous...

It's hard to find a Golf R with a good spec and nice colour for sub 17K

Offline Black9

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 07:37:02 pm »
Rocco only has the VW XDS system - it's not a real LSD, but an electric replica LSD. Still works really well though, and does help (more so on corners) with traction

Yep, think it feels pretty much exactly like an LSD Tho?

I'm sure quite a few cars are using electric diff's... Sure one of the new Ferrari's uses an electric diff, the 458 maybe...

Offline M9xxr

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 07:38:56 pm »
Personally  i think the scirocco has dated massively, the r doesn't really do it for me, i think the right mk6 r looks lovely and is a awesome car. Rs3 has the best motor and with a bit of work can be very fast. TTRS for me though. or a rs6 v10  :driver:

dansmith180

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, 09:09:50 pm »
I do really like the A45's but like you said they're crazy money tbh. There's so many cars out there if you've got a bit of money to play with, have you considered an S3? You can have 4WD and with a few mods 330+ bhp reliably and still a fair price.

Offline Black9

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2014, 10:18:46 pm »
I do really like the A45's but like you said they're crazy money tbh. There's so many cars out there if you've got a bit of money to play with, have you considered an S3? You can have 4WD and with a few mods 330+ bhp reliably and still a fair price.

Considered an S3 many times but I find they look pretty boring in comparison to Golf R etc... I'll persevere and keep looking

dansmith180

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2014, 12:09:07 am »
I know what you mean, it doesn't really look like 265bhp 40K car. More and more cars are like that now though, even AMG's   M's RS's etc... only badges/ exhausts and a few subtle trims give it away, most people probably wouldn't even realise.

Offline Real Thing

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2014, 03:30:51 pm »

If you fancy a Golf R with a bit of a difference mines up for sale big spec and sub £17K.
http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/volkswagen/golf-mk5-mk6/abt-custom-styled-stage-2-vw-golf-r-dsg/3122850
Golf MK6 R TTE420 & Gen1 RS3

Offline Black9

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2014, 03:37:45 pm »

If you fancy a Golf R with a bit of a difference mines up for sale big spec and sub £17K.
http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/volkswagen/golf-mk5-mk6/abt-custom-styled-stage-2-vw-golf-r-dsg/3122850

Body styling isn't my thing

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 183
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101525.0.html
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2014, 10:55:43 am »
Personally, I'm waiting a few years till all the mk7 R's on lease deals end and flood the used car market, driving prices down. Plus by then tons of modifications will hopefully have been developed and road tested.

Failing that I'll build up my GTI into a monster. :happy2:

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2014, 11:22:03 am »
All those R's on lease will have the early turbos which have been prone to fail  :scared:

I'd be scared to mess with one
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr