Make a donation

Author Topic: Changing sidelight bulbs in Xenon headlights...  (Read 11635 times)

Offline lukemk5gti

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
Re: Changing sidelight bulbs in Xenon headlights...
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2014, 08:27:55 am »
The other reviews on the forum suggest removing the headlight to this work but it really is not necessary. I used my phone to take a picture of the light so I knew what I was looking for. I then used a needle nosed pliers with a 45° angle to grip the light housing. From the picture shown the sidelights have 2 cables coming off and the housing is an orangey-brown. Grip the housing NOT THE CABLE firmly with the pliers and pull directly out. Grip the original bulb firmly with your fingers and just pull out from the holder. Make sure you give the new bulb a quick wipe with a microfiber cloth before you plug it back in.

Tip: To make sure you’re getting the right light, turn on the sidelights to get an idea of where it is located but be sure to turn them back off before removing,

The driver side is a little more tricky because there’s a few things in the way. You can still get at it with pliers but you’re doing it blind so use your phones internal camera to see what you’re gripping or alternatively remove the front grill, loosen the headlight and pull out at a slight angle to get a better view. You don’t need to take the bumper off because you’re only tilting the headlight to one side.

Offline H18Golf

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 10
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2014, 12:04:20 pm »
Need to do this on mine.  Anyone got any links to any decent bright white sidelight bulbs that they have fitted and look good with the xenons?

Thanks

Offline numec

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2014, 01:40:39 pm »
i thought VW dealers fit them for free if you buy the bulbs from them?

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/service-promise

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2014, 02:08:07 pm »
Need to do this on mine.  Anyone got any links to any decent bright white sidelight bulbs that they have fitted and look good with the xenons?

Thanks
I'm waiting for a pair that I ordered from www.bold-sport.com.

I hope I can change them with some pliers...

Offline Yorkie92

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2014, 07:33:55 pm »
I just did both of them in about 2mins after reading this. I did it in the dark without removing anything. On the drivers side I just moved the charcoal cannister which gives you loads of room then just felt my way on the passanger side lol as I have a Twintake in the way  :fighting: but planted my phone down there so I could see a little  :happy2:

Offline jaye2992

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2014, 01:59:54 pm »
Anybody know how to change the indicator bulbs and what bulbs they are? Pulled one out and it fell into the headlight  :fighting: not sure how it seats back in or what bulb. Very annoying! Also is there a bumper removal guide.....haha

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2014, 03:48:58 pm »
Just google "mk5 bumper removal" and you'll get many great DIY.

What indicator bulbs have yours fitted?

Mine are like this:

They're easier to remove than my sidelights were when I replaced them for LED lights.

Offline jaye2992

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2014, 03:59:02 pm »
Yea most likely them....i found them easy to get out, was just the bulb didnt come out with it haha. Do they just push back in or twist? Found a bumper guide yea so will do that next week.

Also do the headlight washers get in the way when taking off the bumber?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 04:09:31 pm by jaye2992 »

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2014, 04:43:50 pm »
They twist a bit, not like the sidelights that just need a good pull.

The headlight washers will have the water tubes connected, but nothing that will get too much in the way. I think you can place the removed bumper in the front of the car and then remove the headlight.

Offline jaye2992

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2014, 02:10:51 pm »
Thanks its good to know just to try get it working till the weekend haha. May as well swap both while i'm there! Cheers  :happy2: