Make a donation

Author Topic: Hi...Potential MK5 Golf GTi purchase  (Read 9069 times)

Offline VW_Jace

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Hi...Potential MK5 Golf GTi purchase
« on: December 13, 2014, 08:07:21 pm »
Hi everyone! Just joined as I am thinking of taking a GTi for a test drive next week with the possibility of purchasing it however wanted to ask you all some advice.

Its an 07 plate GTi up for 5K and has 115K on the clock.

Does this seem about right for price and also with the amount of miles on the clock is there anything i should know in terms of checking for things that should have been done at this point?

Thanks in advance!

Jason

Offline Rob1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 40
  • -Receive: 24
Re: Hi...Potential MK5 Golf GTi purchase
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 08:45:09 pm »
Service history, cam belt & water pump spring to mind, although I'm sure other members can provide other areas to check

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Black Ed30

Offline Matthewsimone

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 39
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 08:55:16 pm »
Have a go at the search function for how too's at top of page mate but heres a few things to get you started -

Rust around front wheel arches
Test drive a few as many may feel sluggish due to failed turbo Diverter valve
Ensure has 2 sets of keys as around £190 each from dealers
Decent brand tyres are a must on the Gti especially at this time of year!

Full service history along with timing belt every 60,000 miles

Standard service plane is 10,000 miles long life is 20,000, best to try find one thats been on standard plan but not the end of world aslong as been done on time

Engine should feel responsive and smooth,  brakes should be sharp

Plus all standard checks like hpi clear, any panel/paint damage
Clutch not slipping when opened up in 4th/5th gear etc etc

As said search function is your friend  :happy2:
Mk5 Golf....... The Real GTI Reborn

Offline VW_Jace

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 10:29:58 pm »
Thanks for your responses, will be sure to check those things when i take a look at it!

Offline numec

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 11:40:02 pm »
Cambelt every 40,000-60,000 miles or 4 years

Offline ruhaleali

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 01:57:26 am »
Check the coilpacks and if its a recall model, look at cosmetics if the headlights have marks etc these can be restored. Look for light fitting damage mine had ruined footwell lights best to have these changed by the garage if possible. Make sure not a previous smoker or pet owner can lead to problems, my mate has his and was a previous smoker dangerous smell even with heavy air freshner. Look for loss of boost weak diverter valve can be changed. Background checks to make sure mileage hasnt been adjusted. Look underneath and ensure the heat shield hasnt been damaged as it can lead to a heavy rattling noise. Also do check the arches and see if any rust is occuring. Look at the brakes check if they are good set and if the paint is flaking off. Loads to check but these are some that can change your mind. Check the level of rust on the back box also as this can affect the fuel. Look at the evamp and catcan as these can have damage.

Offline jaye2992

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2014, 02:17:40 pm »
As above but i'd add in checking for a rattle/diesel noise when the engine is warm as the cam chain can be expensive as i found out....also check it gets upto temperature nice and quick and stays at 90, the thermostats not cheap to change either.

Offline Shorty

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2014, 05:41:40 pm »
It's a bit more than you might wanna spend, although I will listen to serious offers, but I've just advertised a lovely GTI, with only 64k miles and it's lovely :)

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,91916.0.html
| Mk7 R |

Vehicle Diagnostics inc VCDS, Vehicle Remapping and any other diagnostics in the North West area, PM me.

Offline VW_Jace

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2014, 10:13:56 pm »
looked at the golf today and for some reason wasn't convinced. It drove as it should but the wheels were in a state, service history didn't line up and the guy seemed in a rush to sell it which is always a concern, so the search goes on.

Like the look of your car there but like you say its a bit more than i was looking to spend to be honest! great to see one with fewer miles on the clock though

Offline numec

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2014, 10:32:56 pm »
looked at the golf today and for some reason wasn't convinced. It drove as it should but the wheels were in a state, service history didn't line up and the guy seemed in a rush to sell it which is always a concern, so the search goes on.

Like the look of your car there but like you say its a bit more than i was looking to spend to be honest! great to see one with fewer miles on the clock though

good luck with the search..i certainly took my time when in search of my 2nd GTI..

Offline Shorty

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2014, 12:42:27 pm »

Can always make me a cheeky offer, I can always say no.

Sometimes it's worth spending a bit more to have a right car, yeah you can spend less but like you have seen you might be buying a lemon..
| Mk7 R |

Vehicle Diagnostics inc VCDS, Vehicle Remapping and any other diagnostics in the North West area, PM me.

Offline Matthewsimone

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 39
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2014, 01:14:51 pm »
Buy the best you can afford mate and be patient its best time of year for buyers, winter and near xmas  :smiley:
Good service history, low owners, good brand of matching tyres, nice tight gearbox these are all the crucial things that shout im a well looked after motor to me  :drinking:
Mk5 Golf....... The Real GTI Reborn

Offline VW_Jace

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2014, 07:51:25 pm »
Sorry shorty but your in Liverpool anyway so thats not really my area living down here in devon :(

will do guys, will keep my eyes peeled!

Offline garrardrj

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2014, 08:38:09 pm »
My advice would be never try to buy a car you cannot really afford , but you can afford one you have found so far . This is never a good move , as you appear to have found with the one you went to see . £5k for a GTI is low especially for a 2007 version . Try older ones but less mileage - Just by upping your budget by £500 can make the world of difference - Good Luck
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline GTIEagles

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2014, 10:47:20 pm »
Hi mate, whereabouts in Devon are you? I'm in Barnstaple and when I was looking for one I couldn't find any local at all and I was looking for a good few months! In the end I travelled 160 miles to view a car and I was pleasantly surprised when I saw it, so I bought it on the spot for a very good price IMO. It's all about luck and whether you're willing to travel if you see one that catches your eye, it's actually good time of the year to buy as the market is so dead sellers will often discount generously. Good luck withe your search.

Phil