Make a donation

Author Topic: Flat spot at 5200rpm on 2.0T - Does yours do it?  (Read 80921 times)

Offline Janner_Sy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
Re: Flat spot at 5200rpm on 2.0T - Does yours do it?
« Reply #75 on: November 24, 2009, 05:39:09 pm »
^^^ I don't think it works like that, I think they would need to reduce the boost to help with this  :smiley:

basicaly meant lower the over all settings a little, instaed of having it set to really aggressive.

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: November 24, 2009, 05:41:19 pm »
i dont have the pump yet. too much money.

I would say thats your problem.. My K03 GTI had the same, fitted a pump and it was all good..

You can get Autotech revision 2 pumps for £300 now.. I have ran that pump in my ED30 and S3 with zero problems, cam follower comes out looking mint  :smiley:

could the guys with revo select switches turn the fuelling downto counter that and see if it is still there. thats hould help show wheter that is the cause

Lowering the number on the fuel trim richens up the mix, raising will lean it out, so if anything you would need to go up on the fuel number.. But either way, the way to do it would be lower the boost as Steve says..

I really wouldn't recommend doing that though as its clear the motor is already running out of fuel, hence the problem..
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #77 on: November 24, 2009, 06:03:26 pm »
cant be bothered reading the whole thred but mine does this exact same thing, at about 5k, then back to full boost, it drops to abot 10 psi on my gauge.  :smiley:
I take it you all have uprated high pressure fuel pumps? This is right in the range where the standard pump is working hardest, and the feeling you have, especially if the car is pulling boost out would be fuel cut..
Again, its pretty obvious this has nothing to do with the map, otherwise ALL of the cars with that same map would have the problem..
could the guys with revo select switches turn the fuelling downto counter that and see if it is still there. thats hould help show wheter that is the cause

Im running rich as it is!

Offline joesgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
  • Eat my sick, Eat my sick.
« Reply #78 on: November 24, 2009, 06:06:45 pm »
@ jonny, how easily are they fitted though.

or can it be DIY?

If you need any games consoles or games, accessories, etc etc, PM me for my best price,

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: November 24, 2009, 06:23:03 pm »

Running fuel 9? What's your AFR?

or can it be DIY?

You can do it DIY easily yeah, if you would rather not then it's a 20 min job for someone that's competent

Offline KRL

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #80 on: November 24, 2009, 07:06:06 pm »
cant be bothered reading the whole thred but mine does this exact same thing, at about 5k, then back to full boost, it drops to abot 10 psi on my gauge.  :smiley:
I take it you all have uprated high pressure fuel pumps? This is right in the range where the standard pump is working hardest, and the feeling you have, especially if the car is pulling boost out would be fuel cut..
Again, its pretty obvious this has nothing to do with the map, otherwise ALL of the cars with that same map would have the problem..

If you are running rich with F9 then perhaps you have some hardware protection mapping taking place because you are actually running too lean an AFR for your HW setup and the ECU is having to richen the AFR mixture up because your EGTs are getting too high.

In this case it would actually be beneficial to:
a) Lower your fuel setting (more fuel will mean a cooler burn).  If you are doing this without a HPFP I would recommend lowering your boost as well to reduce the strain on the standard HPFP.
b) Increase timing a little if you can (also lowers EGTs)

I think the problems you are getting can most likely be put down to that you may be running settings which are too aggressive for the HW you have installed (no HPFP).  I am at stage 1 and can see already that the HPFP is being pushed to its limits and that is without any other HW upgrades.  As you are running a CAI and exhaust already; the demand on the HPFP with aggressive settings will simply be too much and result in fuel cuts and misfires.  This is why I will be purchasing a HPFP after my CAI is intsalled.

I would really recommend that you invest in getting a VCDS cable as I am sure the problems you are having will become obvious to see.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 07:07:51 pm by KRL »

Offline KRL

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #81 on: November 24, 2009, 07:09:43 pm »

or can it be DIY?
Quote from: jonnyc
You can do it DIY easily yeah, if you would rather not then it's a 20 min job for someone that's competent

Jonny,

Do you know if it really necessary to go to TDC before doing a HPFP change or cam follower removal?

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #82 on: November 24, 2009, 07:11:41 pm »

I doubt that this is pump related as by that rpm the standard pump can easily sustain 130bar fuel rail pressure.
It may be wise to log the car though in case it's going into soft limp mode.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 07:15:50 pm by bacillus »
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #83 on: November 24, 2009, 07:14:17 pm »

Do you know if it really necessary to go to TDC before doing a HPFP change or cam follower removal?

This is what the Bentley manual stipulates but most folk don't bother and most don't seem to run into issues.
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
« Reply #84 on: November 24, 2009, 07:20:20 pm »
Im running b9, timing 6 fuel 6.

If you follow my car from behind if I boot it, you can smell the petrol. My car has a few issues though which has nothing to do with the mods so obviously need to get them sorted, and once I have done that, I will go back to concentrating on this flat spot.

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: November 24, 2009, 07:26:06 pm »

I didn't bother last time nope..

If you follow my car from behind if I boot it, you can smell the petrol

:grin: Not being funny mate but if thats all your going off to state that your car is running rich then I think its about time you followed KRL's suggestion and go out and do some logs lol..

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #86 on: November 24, 2009, 07:28:18 pm »
have u tried runnning less aggresssive settings to see what happens? like B7 T6 F8 perhaps ??

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
« Reply #87 on: November 24, 2009, 07:42:53 pm »

I didn't bother last time nope..

If you follow my car from behind if I boot it, you can smell the petrol

:grin: Not being funny mate but if thats all your going off to state that your car is running rich then I think its about time you followed KRL's suggestion and go out and do some logs lol..

Its that amongst other things. Plus we have other stage 2 plus cars to compare to, but mine has issues. Have got some data just need it all sent through.

have u tried runnning less aggresssive settings to see what happens? like B7 T6 F8 perhaps ??

Yeah have done, and the flat spot is less noticeable, but I put that down to the car not going through the revs as quickly making it less obvious

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
« Reply #88 on: December 01, 2009, 11:26:08 pm »
Hello, revo

There are early 2007 cars that have this flat spot, so therefore it sort of rules out it being the valve springs. Any further comments on the issue?

Offline cuprak1

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
  • Cupra k1 - 360 bhp/360 ft-lbs
    • London web design
« Reply #89 on: December 02, 2009, 12:08:59 am »
just to through caution to the wind here, i was told a fuel pump would cure this flat spot..

however, i have come across an audi s3 WITH a pump but the issue still no fixxy....

it seems to smooth out a bit but im sure it will still be noticable when driving..

see graph between 3.5k > 4k

SpeedStats iPhone app  - AVAILABLE NOW!
---------------------------------------
View my Cupra k1 project thread here! 360is