Make a donation

Author Topic: Flat spot at 5200rpm on 2.0T - Does yours do it?  (Read 80891 times)

Offline NEWEY

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 9
    • Flickr
    • Email
Re: Flat spot at 5200rpm on 2.0T - Does yours do it?
« Reply #150 on: March 07, 2010, 08:10:31 pm »
is the problem with the cat or the probe that checks its efficiency???

a problem with the cat mate. everything thing else on the car is tip top :)

TSR powered 1.9 16v mk2 Golf GTI
TSR big turbo mk5 golf gti

Offline djhorace

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #151 on: March 07, 2010, 09:44:08 pm »
Mine does it with no cat and stage 2+ code. It aint the cat or the sensors on mine at least.

New date for my cars modifications and inlet manifold mod is April 1st.

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #152 on: March 07, 2010, 10:27:49 pm »
Mine does it with no cat and stage 2+ code. It aint the cat or the sensors on mine at least.

New date for my cars modifications and inlet manifold mod is April 1st.

Hope you make some progress on the flat spot. Was hoping to have figured it out now myself but as you know ive been kept busy with other stuff. Things should be back to normal by next weekend im hoping.

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
« Reply #153 on: March 09, 2010, 10:37:21 pm »
Could this be related to the same problems we are having. Taken from a member from SCN.

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?p=2849850&posted=1#post2849850

Guys I have superchips stage 3 on the car at the minute and the mods I have are,

ITG cai
Milltek full turbo back
Forge valve
Forge twin intercooler
Autotek pump internals,

I was on a rolling road on sat and the car only put out 308bhp, however the guy said they had another car on a while back and on both times there was a 30 bhp difference, which was fair enough, I was only going to get logs done anyway and was gona get it roaded at a later date somewhere else,

Bear with me,

I emailed the logs back to superchips as I had spoken to them about turning the power up a bit however they said this,

I've had a look at the logs and they look OK. You're running a little too much over boost low down so I'd like to reduce that but other than that good boost everywhere else. Looking at the air flow you are running 245g/s that indicates that you have 320-330bhp which is what I would expect. We cannot gain any more than this as you are already running too much boost for the fuel system to cope with - the car is trying to get over 9ms worth of injection duration at 5,000rpm which it cannot so any more and the fuel pressure will drop. Looking at the fuelling logs it appears the rail isn't reaching 129bar which it should be doing which may be why the injection duration is so high.

Ok so,
So what I gather out of this is that the injectors cant give me anymore, im just wondering why this would be the case when other software is running more power than this?, Have you guys checked this on vagcom?

He said also that he wouldnt have been surprised if the car did have fuel cut in the top gears with that boost and you wouldnt notice it in the lower gears you would be changing gears so quickly?,

I thought that when I got the internals I would be ok for more power?,

I have heard some of you guys talk about a slight loss of power up the rev range, could this be what is causing your slight loss of power?, injectors?,

How much can our injectors take, I cant help but think I could be getting more power out of this car?,

I have the logs on excel if anyone wants to look at them I can email them to you?

Any thoughts views welcome?,

Aaron

Offline Poppa Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 40
« Reply #154 on: March 09, 2010, 10:47:07 pm »
Interesting post poverty, expecially part where they are citing the a MAF of 245g/s equates to 320-330 bhp. 245g/s is more like 302 bhp. Also interesting comments about the fuel rail pressure. I know that both Hurdy and I have no problems meeting the 130 bar, with us both often sustaining 130+ bar without issue.

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
« Reply #155 on: March 09, 2010, 11:07:45 pm »
Do either of you suffer the flat spot? What pumps are you and hurdy running?

Offline david_phillips95

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #156 on: March 10, 2010, 01:29:44 am »
Interesting post poverty, expecially part where they are citing the a MAF of 245g/s equates to 320-330 bhp. 245g/s is more like 302 bhp. Also interesting comments about the fuel rail pressure. I know that both Hurdy and I have no problems meeting the 130 bar, with us both often sustaining 130+ bar without issue.

at 6800 RPM i have a MAF reading of 273g/s with injection timing of 8.41 and im running revo stage 2+

going by the calculation of 245g/s = 320-330 then 273g/s = around 360bhp (MAF/0.75=BHP)
if 245g/s = 302bhp with your calculation then 273g/s =around 335bhp (MAF/0.81=BHP)

I would like to think im closer to 360bhp rather than 330bhp but to be honest i would be happy with either. Im running B9 T5 F6 and have noticed the flat spots high in the revs in 4th and 5th, im going to do some more logging on my EGT's, Rail Pressure, Injection timing, MAF,AFR's, CF's etc to see if dropping the boost down to 8 will solve the problem. i never had any flat spots till i went stage 2+, the highest boost setting i ran before when i was running Stage 1 was B7 so im thinking the increased boost from stage 2+ is causing the ECU to pull back for whatever reason. From logs i have done with B9T5F6 i do not get high CF's my rail pressure holds 130bar+ no problem my injection timing hasnt exceeded 8.41.

The only thing i havent been checking as much is my AFR and EGT temps, if it turns out my EGT's are high i think B8 would be the best method to solve this as requesting more fuel e.g F5 would lead to my injection timing increasing which i wouldnt imagine it can increase much more from 8.41. Anyone have any idead?
I will try do some logs in the morning and see what i can come up with.

Davie
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 01:36:52 am by david_phillips95 »

Offline KRL

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #157 on: March 10, 2010, 10:20:33 am »
What does your boost curve look like?  Is it able to meet requested and does it drop off anywhere?

I think F6 should be fine to keep your EGT's down.  Another think your could try is advancing your timing to T6.  Advance timing actually reduces EGTs as well.  Log your overall timing advance to see what sort of timing progression you are making and try to iron out any flat spots.

The last thing I would look at is your engine load - this should advance smoothly through the rev range and not dip and rise back up anywhere.  If you do have dips in your engine load it may be your spark plugs need changing (I am going to change/upgrade mine as I am trying to hunt down a flat spot I am getting ~4400RPM).

Offline cuprak1

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 3
  • Cupra k1 - 360 bhp/360 ft-lbs
    • London web design
« Reply #158 on: March 10, 2010, 05:09:12 pm »
I have the flat spot

stage 2+ cupra k1 with k04

B7 T5 F7

SpeedStats iPhone app  - AVAILABLE NOW!
---------------------------------------
View my Cupra k1 project thread here! 360is

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
« Reply #159 on: March 10, 2010, 05:18:45 pm »
So this is what we have worked out so far, up to stage 2 the car is fine, load stage 2 plus and the flat spot comes with it.

Is there anyone running a APR pump with this flat spot?

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #160 on: March 10, 2010, 05:36:23 pm »
has anybody got a dyno graph or logs to show this 5200rpm flatspot????.  im yet to see graphed evidence of this.

Could be interesting to see if guys with the APR pump have the flat spot.
if you could get someone to allow you to meetup and do a temporary swap to see if the spot disappears with a different hpfp that would be quote useful, as it is dificult to compare differnt cars together

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
« Reply #161 on: March 10, 2010, 05:40:30 pm »
has anybody got a dyno graph or logs to show this 5200rpm flatspot????.  im yet to see graphed evidence of this.

Could be interesting to see if guys with the APR pump have the flat spot.
if you could get someone to allow you to meetup and do a temporary swap to see if the spot disappears with a different hpfp that would be quote useful, as it is dificult to compare differnt cars together

That is a good idea! Need to find a APR pump user! I think there are some logs from a k03 user. There is a video of the flat spot though!

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #162 on: March 10, 2010, 05:43:03 pm »
logs would be able to show you if your AFR, fueling, air mass, or boost are going tits up, a vidoe will show you the grand total of feck all except that it has a flat spot, which you already know

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #163 on: March 10, 2010, 05:45:06 pm »
So this is what we have worked out so far, up to stage 2 the car is fine, load stage 2 plus and the flat spot comes with it.

I dont think thats really accurate to be honest.. I ran an Autotech fuel pump and Revo Stage 2+ B9 T7 F9 with zero issues for me..

I think its not quite so simple as once you install 2+ you have a flat spot, as there are LOTS of cars out there without the issue..
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
« Reply #164 on: March 10, 2010, 05:54:11 pm »

I dont think thats really accurate to be honest.. I ran an Autotech fuel pump and Revo Stage 2+ B9 T7 F9 with zero issues for me..

I think its not quite so simple as once you install 2+ you have a flat spot, as there are LOTS of cars out there without the issue..

Didnt quite mean it like that, meant as in the cars affected were fine, till stage 2 plus. Thats the only fact we have on the issue, and even after all this time we havent come any closer as to working out why!

How comes your fuel was set at 9? Would have thought you be running 6?