Make a donation

Author Topic: Flat spot at 5200rpm on 2.0T - Does yours do it?  (Read 80907 times)

Offline GTIjames

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 6
Re: Flat spot at 5200rpm on 2.0T - Does yours do it?
« Reply #225 on: April 08, 2010, 09:04:33 am »
you can also adjust your revo settings on the move if you have your laptop and select+ hooked up and turn your settings right down to make your own eco mode

That valve looks like a b*tch to install if you don't remove the intake manifold...

Remove the line going to the pump

remove t30 torx holding line to of manifold and one on the bottom right.

14mm crows foot to remove the line

17mm crows foot to remove the valve itself.

Install is reverse of removal

Can be done in about 10 minutes this way.

Cupra do you have any more pics of the install as mine arrived last week and I can see where it goes but how the hell do you get to it

thanks

GTI Edition 30 - Reflex Silver now gone but not forgotten - Cooper S JCW now.

Offline david_phillips95

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #226 on: April 09, 2010, 07:09:50 pm »
you can also adjust your revo settings on the move if you have your laptop and select+ hooked up and turn your settings right down to make your own eco mode

That valve looks like a b*tch to install if you don't remove the intake manifold...

Install is reverse of removal

Cupra do you have any more pics of the install as mine arrived last week and I can see where it goes but how the hell do you get to it

thanks

I dont know how you managed it in 10mins cause its a nightmare.

I fitted mine today took me around an hour maybe slightly more. Had to removed the DV and its bracket and a few clips and things around that area. Not as simple as it sounds. When looseing & tightening the fuel valve the crows foot doesnt cut it, i used a 17mm combinations spanner and a few other 17mm spanners with various pitches. Got there in the end but its one of the moost frustrating mods i have done lol

Hopefully it makes a difference.

Davie

Offline KRL

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #227 on: April 09, 2010, 07:37:28 pm »
cupra lifted those instructions from vortex here :
Quote from: chris@revotechnik

Install is reverse of removal ;)

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4816332&page=3

Chris @ revo says it can be done in 10 mins but others in the thread took much longer.

Keep us updated on what kind of a difference it makes Davie, I'd be interested to see what you rail pressure looks like pre and post this mod.

Offline GTIjames

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
« Reply #228 on: April 09, 2010, 08:29:26 pm »
aah my crows feet spanners arrived in the post today... all ready for an attempt tomorrow, i was not confident before you mentioned that  but now I might leave it to the pro's

unless anyone want to have a go on sunday at fitting it for me

GTI Edition 30 - Reflex Silver now gone but not forgotten - Cooper S JCW now.

Offline david_phillips95

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #229 on: April 09, 2010, 08:31:06 pm »

Chris @ revo says it can be done in 10 mins but others in the thread took much longer.

Keep us updated on what kind of a difference it makes Davie, I'd be interested to see what you rail pressure looks like pre and post this mod.

Ill get some logs done when i get a chance, going to crail to run the 1/4 mile on sunday so might take my VCDS and do some logging as im doing my runs. It could be done in less than ten minutes with the intake manifold removed but there is no chance someone could swap it over in 10minutes. I would have done a write up with pictures etc but had to get it done quickly as i was working later and needed the car. Before going to work i had the car running B9 T6 F9 and in fourth gear (on a private road) i never noticed and flat spot around the usual 5k'ish area. I will do some more thorough testing to find out if this mod has made any improvements.

Cheers Davie

Offline david_phillips95

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #230 on: April 09, 2010, 08:37:16 pm »
aah my crows feet spanners arrived in the post today... all ready for an attempt tomorrow, i was not confident before you mentioned that  but now I might leave it to the pro's

unless anyone want to have a go on sunday at fitting it for me

Get a good look at it tommorow and see if you think its worth attempting, there's so little space that you can hardly get a finger on the valve so when it comes to re-installing the RS4 one its a real pain to get the threads started. My neighbours must have thought i had developed tourette syndrome when i was working on the car today haha. My dad was out at the garage at the time so he helped me out which made it alot easier also.

Davie

Offline djhorace

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
« Reply #231 on: April 10, 2010, 10:18:35 am »
I dont think there will be many people who will agree with that statement lol

There's a thread on audi-sport discussing GIAC extreme vs S2+. There are several users who moved from GIAC to Revo because the GIAC Extreme wasnt perfroming as well as other users running Revo S2+. I run Revo S2+ and i think its brilliant.

Davie
I run Revo S2+ myself, and I believe that the GIAC extreme plus may well be a little quicker. As far as I know, only 6 cars in the UK run the GIAC Extreme plus file, so I doubt we are referencing the code. Extreme Plus needs the RS4 valve and a 3" intake (VF) and fuel rail pressure is way more than on a Revo S2+ car.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 10:20:19 am by djhorace »

Offline djhorace

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #232 on: April 10, 2010, 10:23:18 am »
For what its worth, I had the RS4 valve fitted in my car this week and the car is now a lot smoother. There still appears to be a little hesistation at 5200rpm, but nowhere near as pronounced as it was before. Having been in 3 GIAC cars, I think this may well be an engine characteristic with a strong map as they behave in a very similar way to way mine behaves now.

Offline robern2

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 12
    • Email
« Reply #233 on: April 10, 2010, 08:18:21 pm »

I run Revo S2+ myself, and I believe that the GIAC extreme plus may well be a little quicker. As far as I know, only 6 cars in the UK run the GIAC Extreme plus file, so I doubt we are referencing the code. Extreme Plus needs the RS4 valve and a 3" intake (VF) and fuel rail pressure is way more than on a Revo S2+ car.
[/quote]

The RS4 valve nor VF intake was advised (by a reputable GIAC dealer ) for the S3 owner I'm aware of who tried the code. His evoms was considered suitable. In any case said S3 owner found it less smooth and according to his bum dyno less powerful than his hammer map and reverted.

Offline Poverty

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #234 on: April 11, 2010, 06:23:35 pm »

so revo are now finally publicly acknowledging that their was a issue, and its not the "weak valve springs" like they were so adamant about for months on end  :grin:

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #235 on: April 11, 2010, 06:53:46 pm »
so revo are now finally publicly acknowledging that their was a issue, and its not the "weak valve springs" like they were so adamant about for months on end  :grin:

??? I just think he was being helpful when someone asked about installation tips..

You do know there is a TSB from VAG about weak valve springs on certain model year motors?
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #236 on: April 11, 2010, 07:00:13 pm »

??? I just think he was being helpful when someone asked about installation tips..

You do know there is a TSB from VAG about weak valve springs on certain model year motors?

yeah im aware of that, but it seems unreleated to this flat spot, and more a issue of misfires higher up the rev range.

Offline david_phillips95

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #237 on: April 11, 2010, 07:48:40 pm »
Was running doen the 1/4 mile today :) Car was pulling great and didnt feel any flat spots :):) first time i have ever done a 1/4 mile so i think there is room for improvement. Best times i managed was a 12.7 & 12.8 the rest were low 13's.

Have a look here

http://www.crailraceway.co.uk/select_run.asp?CarNumber=30&RunDate=20100411

Offline s3dubbin

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #238 on: April 11, 2010, 08:22:06 pm »
I think you fkin bunged the timer!! Look at the ra, 60ft time, end speed?? Please explain how my times and speeds are better but my time is sh*te compared to yours? How can you run 0.7sec quicker but be 10mph slower at finish? Still smartin. No good at maths but cant get ma head rnd it?

Offline david_phillips95

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #239 on: April 11, 2010, 08:26:36 pm »
I think you fkin bunged the timer!! Look at the ra, 60ft time, end speed?? Please explain how my times and speeds are better but my time is sh*te compared to yours? How can you run 0.7sec quicker but be 10mph slower at finish? Still smartin. No good at maths but cant get ma head rnd it?

I braked before the line when i raced you as i couldnt see how far i had left to brake cause the fog, you were a good bit behind so didnt catch me even when i slowed. you got a better start than me but i pulled past you and braked earlier than you. Timer was working fine, hardly think it was out when everyone elses times were fine. Just get a fuel pump on yours and stop whining lol

i was running 3/4 tank of fuel with a passenger where as you had minimal fuel no passenger, stage 2+ is wild compared to stage 1 with an exhaust, my 60ft time was faster than yours though and 3rd gear onwards mine shot past you.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 08:34:05 pm by david_phillips95 »