Make a donation

Author Topic: Best tyres  (Read 12151 times)

Offline Janner_Sy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
Re: Best tyres
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2009, 07:34:54 pm »
i might try out those pilot sport cups in the summer

Offline Frodo-anni

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 45
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2009, 09:22:03 pm »
Im running conti sport 2's on the anni at the moment, been very happy with them. Time to change the fronts so its a close call between vredsteins and goodyear f1's. Id like to go with the ps2's but cant stretch to £124 a corner on camskill compared to the deals on the others at the moment.
mk4 Anniversary pd No0341 - Sold
mk5 GTI Edition 30 DSG No0391

Offline xxx_mojo_xxx

• Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 19
  • MUBster DUBster
    • Project MUBster DUBster Evolution
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2009, 10:48:12 pm »
I swear by Michilen Pilot Sport 2s... how much are the F1s and what offers are around.  I need a pair...if they're cheap enough I'll go for the F1s...to try them out.

Offline Frodo-anni

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2009, 10:57:45 pm »
Camskill - F1's are £97.50 a corner, the PS2's have just gone up again £125 ish thats in 225/40/18 fitment.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2009, 10:59:41 pm »
Having just punished a set of F1s, I've nothing bad to say about them at all - excellent tyre.

I'm on PS2s now, only thing I've noticed so far is a slightly stiffer sidewall aiding turn in. Grip is on par.
Sideways yo!

Offline xxx_mojo_xxx

• Thank You
  • MUBster DUBster
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2009, 11:02:48 pm »
Do the PS2s last longer?

Offline Frodo-anni

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2009, 11:08:47 pm »
Ive heard a few reports on the uk-mkivs that they can last a bit longer, but i'll try the F1's as ive also got service due next week, so lots of pennies to spend just before crimbo.

My anni was originally on pilot sports and they did very well, first set last 19k on front, rears were about 25k i think, second set didnt last as long though  :driver: :signLOL:

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 8
  • .:R32
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2009, 10:05:26 am »
Having just punished a set of F1s, I've nothing bad to say about them at all - excellent tyre.

I'm on PS2s now, only thing I've noticed so far is a slightly stiffer sidewall aiding turn in. Grip is on par.

Which versions of the F1's did you have Tony? Most, if not all, of the current Assymetric range have a choice of extra-load versions with stiffer tyres walls.

Just for the record, I'm actually running GS-D3s at the moment, not Assymetrics. Reading around, the jury is out on which of the two is actually better performance-wise, although I think I'm right is saying the Assym is meant to supercede the GS-D3. The general concensus is that the Assymetric wears better but grip levels are more or less equal. I do find it quite easy to scrub out the shoulders on the GS-D3s though, so perhaps I might opt for extra load Assymetrics in future. Assymetrics are said to be quieter too which must mean they are really quiet, as compared to the awful Conti's the car came with, the GS-D3s aren't what I'd call noisey!
Only 250.1bhp - but with that noise, who cares?

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2009, 10:42:01 am »

Which versions of the F1's did you have Tony? Most, if not all, of the current Assymetric range have a choice of extra-load versions with stiffer tyres walls.

Just for the record, I'm actually running GS-D3s at the moment, not Assymetrics. Reading around, the jury is out on which of the two is actually better performance-wise, although I think I'm right is saying the Assym is meant to supercede the GS-D3. The general concensus is that the Assymetric wears better but grip levels are more or less equal. I do find it quite easy to scrub out the shoulders on the GS-D3s though, so perhaps I might opt for extra load Assymetrics in future. Assymetrics are said to be quieter too which must mean they are really quiet, as compared to the awful Conti's the car came with, the GS-D3s aren't what I'd call noisey!

F1 Assym Extra Load, which replaced the GS-D3s I bought the car on, which I personally thought were toss.

They did roughly 14k, inc 2 ring trips and a few track days. They can be properly rotated which helps too. The PS2 just seems to have a stiffer sidewall, and slightly harsher ride along with them... still not as good as my PSCups mind!
Sideways yo!

Offline xxx_mojo_xxx

• Thank You
  • MUBster DUBster
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2009, 10:52:26 am »
I think I'll go for the F! Asyms.  Would it be ok to change just the fronts - as my rears have plenty of tread (mind you their Michelin Exaltos).

Or should I get a set of Michelin Exaltos to match.  The Exaltos are more expensive than the PS2s - why on earth is that?

Offline gulfstream11

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2009, 11:01:02 am »
Ok... I now know this is just me and purely cosmetic I would,nt go for differrent brands front and rear. :popcornsoda:

Offline VC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2009, 11:03:52 am »
Ok... I now know this is just me and purely cosmetic I would,nt go for differrent brands front and rear. :popcornsoda:

x2

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 8
  • .:R32
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2009, 11:09:54 am »

F1 Assym Extra Load, which replaced the GS-D3s I bought the car on, which I personally thought were toss.

They did roughly 14k, inc 2 ring trips and a few track days. They can be properly rotated which helps too. The PS2 just seems to have a stiffer sidewall, and slightly harsher ride along with them... still not as good as my PSCups mind!

Fair-doos. GS-D3s were generally pretty highly rated, and night-and-day different to the part worn Conti's they replaced, so the Assyms and PS2's must be rather good.

Having driven a CSL on PS Cups, they are very good - they'd be a bit of handful in this weather though!

mojo, you should be ok safety-wise so long as you have the same tyres on each 'axle' although it would be preferable to have the same on each corner. Exaltos aren't bad, they're just not as high-end as PS2s. Can't comment on the pricing, perhaps Exaltos aren't as widely available in the GTi sizes. Perhaps you could srub-in the new ones on the front, move them to the back then wear out the Exaltos on the front before replacing with the same as the other set. Depends how much cash you want to blow on tyres in one go!
Only 250.1bhp - but with that noise, who cares?

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator

Offline cuprak1

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
  • Cupra k1 - 360 bhp/360 ft-lbs
    • London web design
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2009, 11:11:59 am »
a few days ago i ditched my eagle f1s and went for some FALKEN FK 452 at nearly half the price and i can say i wish i didnt waste me dosh on the goodyears for all this time

SpeedStats iPhone app  - AVAILABLE NOW!
---------------------------------------
View my Cupra k1 project thread here! 360is

Offline Gene Hunt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2009, 11:13:35 am »

x2
.........x3 & if you shop around you can find the Vredestein's for under a ton.
ED35. Standard factory condition.