Make a donation

Author Topic: Freeview Boxes - Which one - Yeah i've used the search facility  (Read 2610 times)

Offline garrardrj

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
Now Sky is getting too costly and we don't really watch much apart from the terrestrial channels .
The Price just seems to go up and up and generally for Football !
We love the recording pause and rewind of our Sky HD box , so which Freeview box would be a direct replacement ? I have seen Humax HDR 1000s recommended on here , but that was in February , whats the new equivalent or other suggestions welcome  :smiley:
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline Golfgirl

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 23
Re: Freeview Boxes - Which one - Yeah i've used the search facility
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 04:28:27 pm »
I ditched Sky nearly two years ago.  I don't watch much TV and most of what I do watch is available on Freeview.  I took out a contract with BT TV and got a free YouView box.  It was a 12 month contract and after the 12 months I cancelled the contract and kept the box. You can buy them from retailers without taking out a contract with BT or Talk Talk though. You get all the Freeview channels, pause/record/series link etc like Sky+ plus you get a good selection of On Demand channels like iPlayer, ITV Player, Now TV, 4 on Demand, plus others.  Netflix has recently become available too.  If you already subscribe to Netflix it's free.

The only thing I miss about Sky is the variety of music channels, because on Freeview all you have is 4Music and VIVA, plus radio channels.  So after Christmas I'm probably going to get a Freesat box so I can have more music. 

You can also have a Freesat box on its own instead.  You get all the free satellite channels (providing you already have a dish) and you can get Freesat boxes that pause/record etc.  Or just get a basic one that doesn't.  I'm just going to get a basic one as I have the recording function on my YouView box.

You'll probably find that when you ring Sky to cancel they'll want you to stay so will make offers to get you to stay.  Even though I'd made my mind up to leave when I rang them, I was still on the phone for nearly an hour as they were offering me a HD box, cheaper subscription etc to stay.  So you never know, you might be able to negotiate with them and keep your Sky.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 04:30:44 pm by Golfgirl »

FOR SALE!

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 183
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101525.0.html
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 04:44:51 pm »
A phone call asking to cancel anything usually results in being offered a better deal. I've saved money on insurance and phone bills loads of times like that.

As mentioned, utilise your now redundant satellite dish and get Freesat. Still too many channels to view but enough to keep you going with no monthly cost.

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline andyR43

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 05:12:39 pm »
+1 for Freesat using a Humax HDR1000s.

I too left Sky a long time ago and have no regrets.  :smiley:

Keeping it original..............or not!!

Offline George

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 08:25:59 pm »
I'm looking at getting my mother a freesat box for Christmas, are there any other alternatives with different channels that don't have a monthly subscription? I'm looking for something digital rather than internet streaming.

Thanks

Offline s3dubbin

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 08:40:55 pm »
I am also ready to leave sky the only thing stopping me is the grief from the other half about having no sky Atlantic? She is stressing that there will be no game of thrones? Is there a way of watching this through one of these boxes, doesn't have to be legit as long as it's saving me £60month?

Cheers, Stevie.

Offline ARV_90

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 11:01:22 am »
+1 for Freesat using a Humax HDR1000s.

I too left Sky a long time ago and have no regrets.  :smiley:
+1

Offline Frenzy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2014, 05:08:13 pm »
I am also ready to leave sky the only thing stopping me is the grief from the other half about having no sky Atlantic? She is stressing that there will be no game of thrones? Is there a way of watching this through one of these boxes, doesn't have to be legit as long as it's saving me £60month?

Cheers, Stevie.

If it is literally only for Game of Thrones, cancel and buy the boxset on DVD, you can then sell the DVD boxset when you are done and recoup part of that cost whilst all the while saving yourself 60 mucka a month!

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 38
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2014, 07:20:40 pm »
Just get a Chromecast (or NowTV box) and a NowTV sub for a mere £8.99 a month.

Offline s3dubbin

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2014, 07:37:44 pm »
Yeah that will cover each one that has been up until now but won't cover next years series. My life wouldn't be worth living. Seems sky have game of thrones well and truly wrapped up tight.

Stevie.  :drinking:

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 38
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2014, 03:09:15 pm »
You can watch live Sky TV on a NowTV account and each episode of the next series will be available on catch up for 7 days after broadcast, too. To be honest, the catch up works better, as GoT always swamps the servers!