Make a donation

Author Topic: Electrical problems with my MK5 GTI !  (Read 5678 times)

Offline ollyabbs11

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
Electrical problems with my MK5 GTI !
« on: December 02, 2014, 07:17:37 pm »
Been a fortnight now without my car.
About 2 or so weeks ago.. I was woken up in the night due to the alarm sounding and then following in the morning a drained battery.
Discovered after about 30 mins with the car being switched off the engine fan was cutting in and draining my battery, so  I rung VW and found a temporary solution by when car is stationary pulling out the 10a fuse which is for the engine fan and also  apparently for the throttle body. then my battery wasn't dying.
of course I put the fuse back in when using it.
one afternoon I decided to move my car without the fuse in..  only a few feet when I went to switch it off and pull the key out, the engine stayed on so I then had to stall to cut out the engine... when I locked it and peered back into my inside, all of the dash lights were illuminated yellow and slightly flickering... I left the car got back to it later and the battery was flat again.. had to jump start it, of course placed fuses back.  drove it about 12 miles home, seemed all running fine. got home and went to switch off and it stayed on so I repeated and then it went off.. the dash lights continued to make a flickering... and once the car was off it would no longer try to turn over. I noticed that a relay 458 in engine bay was buzzing. so I purchased a new one.. after nearly a week of car sitting completely flat...  the car turned over and struggled to idle.. sounded like a bag of nails left it about 5 minutes, placed foot on the throttle then it cut out
and then would no longer turn over..
please need some help many thanks.

Is a 3dr GTI MK5 Manual 

Offline doylebros

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
Re: Electrical problems with my MK5 GTI !
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 07:28:47 pm »
This could be many things so I would start with

1 Fully charged battery

2 Get a scan with VCDS ( below is link to members who could help you )
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88875.0.html

Then see what the scan result shows!

However, as a guess I would be inclined to think the ignition switch electrical block has failed.

Offline ollyabbs11

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 07:49:47 pm »
the car is completely immobile atm. does the battery need to go on a battery charger and be disconnected from car ?
would you not take it to a main dealer ?
thanks,
olly.

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 08:03:49 pm »
Everything depends on your mechanical ability,disposable funds and need of your motor.

Look at the VCDS link or post your location and see if anyone can offer any support but your reply gives the impression you have little or no knowledge of your vehicles workings, the dealer will fix it but the bill will be open ended with a recovery and scan fee to start with.

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 08:34:55 pm »
From your post on the VCDS register this may help you

Well your a very fortunate person because the man you need to fix that fault at a very competively is in your area if your near:-
Gorleston - On - Sea
Great Yarmouth
Norfolk

Try emailing him

Edward.Levett@ntlworld.com

Offline ollyabbs11

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 08:46:49 pm »
have you heard of these problems before are they all linked ?

Offline gtgeorge

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 11:43:14 pm »
Battery is goosed, take it off and run it down to kwik fit or somewhere and get it tested theyl do it for free. My GT tdi played up when the battery was dying :)

Offline -Elliot-

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 10:57:04 pm »
Charging the battery wont do much, if the alternator wont charge it then its game over, probably best to send a new battery in. Especially for the cold winter starts!!

Offline gtgeorge

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2014, 02:03:04 am »
My MK5 GT Sport diesel did some right funny sh*t before and during when the battery was dying, electrical stuff, replaced it and had no issues since. Take the battery off and kwik fit or halfrauds autocentre will test it for nothing to see if its duff or not, halfords checked mine and it was at 17% health whatever that means (it went flat during the MOT cause they left the lights on for a few minutes with the engine off even when i told them not to lol - still passed)

Also try get it scanned, even if you dont have vagcom ive got one of those autel £15 scanners off ebay that found my recent dead anti shudder valve problem, just make sure its obd2 and canbus.. mine only works on my mk5 but doesnt work on my mates mk4,, but oddly it works on a piece of sh*t 1999 citroen saxo !