Make a donation

Author Topic: Front brake upgrade - 4 pot, two piece rotor. Where to buy & recommendations  (Read 13065 times)

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=3ped7h7ji4qj2v98n3rmorqvr1&/topic,19740.0.html
Ooosh!!! 362mm?

Offline flashp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 65
355mm  :ashamed:
 :grin: :grin: :grin:

Gone but not forgotten :-)

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=3ped7h7ji4qj2v98n3rmorqvr1&/topic,19740.0.html
Cool.. they do look bloody good mate.  :love: I bet they stop like a barstewards?

Offline flashp

• Thank You
They're impressive sure enough. During the bedding in procedure one of the steps to do is 5 stops or so from 110mph to 50 without locking, light breaking and 500m of cooling in between. They actually feel like you could crush the suspension at the front, if that were possible, but you get the idea.
Amazingly when I got to pull over after completing this the disc was still very hot but the bells were stone cold. I've not had 2 piece discs before but I knew that managing heat was one of the advantages but I didn't expect it to be as profound.

Offline teo_parvu

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 30
  • -Receive: 57
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,96115.msg955433.html#new
I've just ordered this BBK: CP5575M1011R2.CG12
I think it is the same kit as the one you've just installed.

I really hope it is good. I have 8 weeks to wait for it. 

Offline flashp

• Thank You
I've just ordered this BBK: CP5575M1011R2.CG12
I think it is the same kit as the one you've just installed.

I really hope it is good. I have 8 weeks to wait for it.
Having had this on for few days or so now I would say that unless you do track days these are over the top for the road only, well they are with Pagid RST3 pads. They are monumentally powerful and will be brilliant on track but if I didn't track mine I believe I may prefer a 4 piston kit. I'm not sure how much my pad choice is affecting this tbh. I have Michelin PSS tyres which have very high adhesion levels for a performance road tyre which will contribute to effectiveness.

I don't mean this appraisal to be taken for bragging, I do sincerely mean they may well be OTT for road use only.

They're very easy to modulate though, this is typical of most multi-piston calipers.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 06:39:56 pm by flashp »

Offline teo_parvu

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,96115.msg955433.html#new
I know what you mean, I use my car mostly for track these days with R copmpoud tyres.
Unfortunately the pad is DS2500 for mine, but I will swap it for the Carbotech RP2, which I used for the last 3 years.

It is the second time that I've boiled my racing brake fluid RBF660.
I've murdered the stock Cupra calipers with Tarox F2000 345mm discs with RP2 so I needed something serious:

My only concern is: will it be enough or I will have to use some airducts to cool them down.

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
Flash they look and sound awesome.

Offline flashp

• Thank You
I know what you mean, I use my car mostly for track these days with R copmpoud tyres.
Unfortunately the pad is DS2500 for mine, but I will swap it for the Carbotech RP2, which I used for the last 3 years.

It is the second time that I've boiled my racing brake fluid RBF660.
I've murdered the stock Cupra calipers with Tarox F2000 345mm discs with RP2 so I needed something serious:

My only concern is: will it be enough or I will have to use some airducts to cool them down.
That looks like the external piston boots torn & melted?
The AP calipers you'll get have internal seals so should be better.
I think you'll be getting serious brakes for sure!
If you don't mind me asking, where are you buying from?

Offline flashp

• Thank You
Flash they look and sound awesome.
It's fair to say they work well  :signLOL: I have an afternoon track day lined up at Goodwood on May 16th which will be interesting. I have some experience here so it'll be a good comparison.

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
4 Pots should be enough for 99.9% of people unless you are specifically going to give it some serious punishment on track.

I'm on R8 calipers with 362mm 2 piece AP race discs and Project Mu race pads, rears are 335mm A8 discs, supplied by Vagbremtechnic and fitted at Statller in Sheffield. Now these are serious!  :evilgrin:
Golf R gone.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
I don't think you can have too much brakes!! :smiley:

Offline teo_parvu

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email

Yes it is melted, I've done this before, 2 years ago at Hungaroring, I think Carbotech pads are awesome, but the friction they generate is the cause of the heat.
I've bought them through my local supplier zztuning.ro.

Offline flashp

• Thank You

Yes it is melted, I've done this before, 2 years ago at Hungaroring, I think Carbotech pads are awesome, but the friction they generate is the cause of the heat.
I've bought them through my local supplier zztuning.ro.
Where I bought mine from (BG Developments, UK) they offered to fit racing seals in place of the standard ones. My understanding is that the standard seals are fine under normal circumstances for most people but under extremes you can choose to have these alternative seals fitted. Maybe a worthwhile consideration for you given your experiences?

Offline teo_parvu

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
That's a good idea, I'll have to see if i can get some racing seals. Do you have the part-numbers?