Make a donation

Author Topic: Griffin - my baby GT-R! (GTI Mk5) [SOLD!]  (Read 42248 times)

Offline samx300

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 11
  • No pain no gain.
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,92146.0.html
Re: Griffin - my baby GT-R! (GTI Mk5)
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2015, 10:28:08 pm »
Major Update

16 Jan: K&N Typhoon CAI + K&N Oil Filter and Oil Change
Went to a local garage to get the K&N Typhoon CAI fitted (for lack of proper tools). Also got a K&N Oil Filter installed along with an engine oil change (replace whatever gunk with Castrol Edge FST 5W30). The mechanic showed me the old oil filter and its' state was dire :surprised: Said it could've collapsed any moment causing some serious damage to the engine. Oil was also black and looked as if it hadn't been changed in a while. Glad I got these done. No installed pics of these yet but will upload soon.

17 Jan: R-Tech Stage 1 ECU+DSG Map + DV Change + Cam Follower Change
Drove up to R-Tech (from Sutton) on a full tank of Shell V-Power Nitro+. Met Nick and little Ben on site at sharp 0930. Showed Nick the WALD badge and suggested there might already be a map on the ECU. Nick said he wouldn't touch it if there was an existing map as it could lock him out and render the entire ECU useless (similar to bricking your phone while flashing custom ROMS). I was anxious and worried at this time because I didn't want to drive all the way back without a remap..plus who knows how much power the engine was currently making?! I would've been stuck with whatever I had forever.

Nick was surprised to see the AXX Engine on 07 plate and confirmed that my Griffin is definitely an import (not sure from where though). He has only seen 3-4 Mk5's with the AXX Code from this era. Inspection revealed that my DV was near its' death so Nick fitted a new revision G DV for me :)

Fortunately, after loading up Griffin on the dyno and hooking up the ECU, little Ben confirmed that there was no custom map and Nick would be able to work his magic. Dyno revealed that Griffin was making 205.2HP and 236.5 FT-LB of Torque before the remap. I will never know how much power she was making stock before I got the CAI fitted  :confused:
Little while later, Nick reported he achieved 251HP and 308FT-LB of Torque on my stock build with just a CAI! Shortly after I was offered a test drive and I could not believe what a difference it made - rev limiter just flew and I was spinning the wheels in 3rd gear! Power delivery was linear and it just felt sooo much more powerful. It just pulls and pulls and pulls! Dayyuummmnnn! Never experienced such thrill and was well chuffed! Totally totally worth it.. The whoooshh and dissssshhh of the CAI is even more pronounced now and it feels like a cat is stuck in there that is screaming every time I accelerate and lift off  :rolleye:
It get's better - we got talking and I discussed my plans for future upgrade. Nick then introduced me to Alex (owner of this forum and AKS Tuning in Bedford). He gave him a courtesy call and suggested I get the Cam Follower changed and also discuss my Exhaust Upgrade options with Alex. So I thanked the lads and collected my free keyring/sticker and set the SatNav to Bedford.

Alex from AKS Tuning is absolutely brilliant and definitely knows his stuff - he quickly changed the Cam Follower while I played Gran Turismo 5 in the waiting area  :innocent: He also gave me my best options for an Exhaust upgrade and I have promised him that I will return ASAP.

PS* The Hobnobs I took for the R-Tech lads were very well received  :wink:

Curiosity killed!: As mentioned in my first post, Griffin came with a WALD badge on the back. WALD is a tuning house that does it's own ECU Maps on Golfs that are VW approved. Some have reported 230-240HP with these. Turns out I just had a badge and there was no actual map on my ECU (good for me!).

Improvement/Mods Pipeline [UPDATED] in order of priority

1. New Tires
Rear tyres worn from the inside and I feel a lack of grip on the front ones too (especially after the remap). Tread on the rear tires nearing legal limit was the only advisory on Nov 2014 MOT. I am now looking (first priority) to get 4 x Goodyear Eagle F1 ASY 2 XL. These are about £105 each fitted and will run me a total of £425.

2. Full Sport Cat BCS Exhaust System with Downpipe (Resonated) - depends on when I am able to save all the funds, but aiming in first half of 2015. When I visit AKS Tuning for this, I will also go further to R-Tech for another remap to account for the upgrade Exhaust system. This will be a fun trip  :laugh:

3. Big Brembo 340-345mm (or equivalent) slotted brake kit - may not be in 2015.

4. H&R Springs/Coilover for better ride and lowered height - may not be in 2015.

5. R-Tech ECU/DSG Stage 1 Remap DONE - gained 46.1HP and 72FT-LB of Torque (taking her to 251.3HP and 308.51FT-PB).

6. Audio Upgrade DONE - I made some changed to the parts that I initially listed in the thread. Final specs below.
Kenwood DPX-405BT - Double DIN CD/MP3/USB player with Bluetooth
Focal 165AS3 - 16.5cm 6.5" 3-Way Component Speaker (Front)
Focal FOCAL ISS 165 - 2 way Component Kit Slim (Rear)
JL Audio JL Audio JX360/4 - 4 Channel Amplifier
Rockford Fosgate Punch Series - P2-1X12 Single P2 12" Loaded Enclosure
Rockford Fosgate Punch P500X1BD - Mono Amplifier 500 Watts Class BD Amp
Dynamat Sound Dampening+High Quality RCA and Wiring

7. GTI Metal Trim for Seat Recline Handle DONE.

8. Full interior kit White LED Upgrade - Ordered, installation pending.

9. Licence Plate LED Upgrade - Ordered, installation pending.

10. VW Matt Black Boot Badge replace (stock badge suffers from White Worm) - Ordered, installation pending.

11. Front Grille Matt Black VW Badge DONE
12. Rear Centre Air Vent replacement - installation pending (I don't know how to do this one :sad1:).

13. Full Valeting with Engine Bay clean - pending

14. Remove OEM 6-CD Changer and insert a holding sleeve for storage - pending

Pics for some of the above!

Griffin on Dyno!

Happy Owner Sam!

Dyno Output:

Admiring the change (in shock!) a remap made with Nick in background

With R-Tech Tuning Wizard and Legend, Nick

« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 10:47:58 pm by samx300 »

Offline samx300

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • No pain no gain.
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2015, 09:07:40 am »
Spoke with VW Dealer (Lookers) in Mitcham and they confirmed my Mk5 is eligible for a Coil Pack replacement. Booked in for early Feb :smiley:

Offline samx300

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • No pain no gain.
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2015, 06:43:44 pm »
Can anyone suggest a decent place to get the front grill (perhaps skirting and rear bumper) sprayed matt black in Sutton/Surrey (or anywhere South West London) area? I'm not pleased how the matt black VW badge up front is a very different black to the grill. Thanks.

JackL15

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2015, 10:14:00 am »
Just read through your build thread, car is looking great. I can't wait to get mine re-mapped one day.

I will keep an eye out for your car I live just up the road in Banstead.  :happy2:

Offline samx300

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • No pain no gain.
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2015, 10:14:59 am »
Just read through your build thread, car is looking great. I can't wait to get mine re-mapped one day.

I will keep an eye out for your car I live just up the road in Banstead.  :happy2:

Thanks mate!  :happy2:

Offline samx300

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • No pain no gain.
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2015, 12:20:57 pm »
I have quite a few updates to add to my thread and pictures to post - but I really wanted to share this news with you guys first.

So, on 31 Jan I ordered Pressed Legal Plates from Dubmeister (after reading about them on this Forum). Sent in my Utility Bill and V5C to verify Identity/Registered Keeper etc.

Today I received the Pressed Plates and there is a mistake (SMH) :grin: They messed up the last three digits.. I know, I know.. I can have a lot of fun with this.. but hey, I'm a legit guy and I want MY plates! It's times like this I want to say #YouHadOneJob!

Oh well, I called them and sent pictures to prove. No way am I paying for return postage for their mistake. Would be really cool if they agree to let me keep these and send me the correct ones  :rolleye: Possibilities are endless..  :driver: In case that happens, I'm quite happy to sell this non-existent legal plates to anyone who is interested in setting speed records. PM me. :innocent:
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 05:41:53 pm by samx300 »

Offline samx300

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • No pain no gain.
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2015, 05:36:27 pm »
Hey all, here's a major update as I haven't been very active on the forum lately. So what all happened while I was away?

I was flashed while speeding (51 in 40) and soon received the NIP. I filled up the attached paperwork and stuck an apologetic sticky note requesting a Speed Awareness Course instead of Fixed Penalty. I honestly explained that I have no excuse and I did not put anyone at risk..and how I have a clean licence etc.. Luck favoured me as I was offered the course! This has now been booked for April and even though it cost me £97, it is still better than having SP30 on my licence for 4 years! I think the limit to be offered these courses is 10%+9MPH.

Then​​ VW Dealership tried to freak me out in a visual inspection when I visit them to get the coilpacks changed (under recall). They listed a bunch of stuff that needed urgent attention including a Missing Engine Oil Sump Plug (?!), Oil Leak from Filter, OSF Lower Boost Hose Leaking, Missing Undertray and Drive Shaft Boot Damaged on the Outer Left Side. In addition to this, the Discs and Brake Pads were worn out (about 3mm left on front and 5mm on the back). Needless to say they gave me a ridiculous quote to fix all of these shortcomings.

I then spoke with Alex @ AKS and he calmed me down and explained each of these issues. I then got booked in for 10 March to address the above and get some handling improvements while the wheels are off. More details below.

Improvement/Mods Pipeline​ and Status​

Ride/Handling
- 4 x ​Goodyear Eagle F1 ASY 2 XL​ [FITTED]
- New Bushes and wishbone? [installation on 10 March]
- SuperPro Anti-Lift Kit [installation on 10 March]
- H&R Sport Springs (lower ride by 30mm) [installation on 10 March]
- New Discs all around, Performance Brake Pads and Brake Fluid Change [installation on 10 March]

Interior
- 850W RMS+ Sound System, specs in previous post [FITTED]
- Full White LED interior lighting [FITTED]
- GTI Metal Trim for Passenger Seat Recline Handle [FITTED]
- Rebuilt Rear Air Vent [FITTED]
- Remove OEM 6 CD Changer and install rubber sleeve for storage [installation on 14 March]
- Carbon Fibre Flappy Pedal Shifter [FITTED]
- GTI Trim Floor Mats [FITTED]
- GTI Metal Dead Pedal [FITTED]

Exterior
- Front Grille Black VW Badge [FITTED]
- Black VW Boot Badge with Carbon Fibre insert. Not the tidiest job in history  :sad1: [FITTED]
- LED Licence Plate Lights [FITTED]
- Rain-X Water Repellent Coating on all Glass [DONE]
- Dubmeister Pressed Legal GB Plates [FITTED]
- Carbon Fibre Licence Plate Holder [FITTED]
- Carbon Fibre Vinyl Wrap for Boot Protection [FITTED]
- Volkswagen Motorsports Wheel Valve Dust Caps​ [FITTED]​
- Full Showroom Condition Valet with Engine Bay Clean [DONE]
- Shark Fin Antenna [PENDING]

Performance/Tuning
- K&N Typhoon CAI [FITTED]
- ​​​R-Tech ECU​ & DSG Stage 1 Remap​, specs on previous post [DONE]​
- Engine Oil Change (replace with Millers Nanodrive) Minor Service [installation on 10 March]
​- ​NGK 7 Spark Plugs [installation on 10 March]
- ​​​Pre-Cat Delete and Full Sport Cat BCS ​Powervalve ​Exhaust System with Downpipe (Resonated)​ - unlikely in 2015.​
- Big Brembo (or similar) Brake Kit - unlikely in 2015.
- Peron FMC - unlikely in 2015
- K04 Upgrade Kit - unlikely in 2015

Miscellaneous
- New Bosch Wiper Blades back and front
- Car Plan Washer Fluid Top Up
- VW Bottle Opener for Cup Holder

Thought/comments welcome!

PS* I am looking for someone to help clean the carbon build up on the valves and would welcome any assistance. I am suffering from low MPG (<23MPG, max 27). There is one member on FB TFSI page who recently did this job and reached 33-34MPGs straight after.

Offline samx300

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • No pain no gain.
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2015, 05:37:32 pm »
And since this thread/forum is useless without pics:

Griffin Standing Tall

Offline samx300

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • No pain no gain.
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2015, 05:38:24 pm »

Offline samx300

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • No pain no gain.
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2015, 05:39:14 pm »

Offline samx300

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • No pain no gain.
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2015, 05:39:54 pm »

Offline samx300

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • No pain no gain.
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2015, 05:40:26 pm »

This Rockford Fosgate Sub is nearly 22kg!!

For the Focal Components up front and rear

500W Mono Block for the P2, running @ 1 Ohm

Offline TaylorGTi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2015, 11:46:32 pm »
I haven't had the chance to give Griffin a bath yet. Weather was bad and I am waiting for a dry day when I can shampoo her and give her a wax coat. Need to hoover and wipe everything down inside out. Custom floor mats in black with red trim and GTI badge have been ordered.

I duno about anyone else but this post made  me laugh! Sounds like your talking about Your baby  :happy2: lovely motor!
R-tech Stage 2+ Pirelli Gti

Offline samx300

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • No pain no gain.
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2015, 07:44:16 am »
I duno about anyone else but this post made  me laugh! Sounds like your talking about Your baby  :happy2: lovely motor!

Taylor, trust me mate, she's loved more than any baby will ever be..  :innocent:

Offline TaylorGTi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2015, 02:47:12 pm »

Taylor, trust me mate, she's loved more than any baby will ever be..  :innocent:

Haha good lad!

I'm so excited, all parts on there way to me for stage 2+. Then on my way to see Niki for mapping!
R-tech Stage 2+ Pirelli Gti