Make a donation

Author Topic: Snow Foam - Talk to me......  (Read 4517 times)

Offline VC

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
Snow Foam - Talk to me......
« on: November 19, 2009, 07:13:51 pm »
1st off thankyou heaps to AP for sorting me out with another boxful of cleaning goodies  :drinking:

So as a Snow Foam virgin, what sort of dilution should i be looking at to achieve the best results? do i make a full bottle up or will 1 do the entire car? is the proceedure is rinse/foam/wait/rinse? at what point do i get the buckets and sheep puppet out?

also is it just a case of spreading it on thick and crazy or should i go top to bottom? any tips? please remeber its me your talking to as well so type slowly and use small words with pretty pictures  :grin:

5 questions  :party:

thankyou please  :love:

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: Snow Foam - Talk to me......
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 09:45:57 pm »
First clickies:

clicky and clicky.

The above two should help with dilution rates which are dependant on flow rates from the pressure washer.

I would rinse to get rid of loose debris and soften any dirt. SF starting from the top and move down. The idea is that the SF should loosen and start to lift some of the dirt. Leave it to dwell for about five mins, then rinse. Definitely recommend repeating before the final rinse. Then you can get straight on to 2BM and wash mitts.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 09:48:42 pm by stealthwolf »

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 10:05:58 pm »
i down loaded the link but it is saying it pass word protected

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 10:31:04 pm »
You need to register with them (worth doing - its where I learnt most o the stuff about detailing from). Am on iPhone but gimme a chance and I'll see if I can stick it up here.

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 10:58:19 pm »
Okay, here's the guide reproduced with the pics:

I see a lot of people asking how to get the right ratio when it comes to snow foam, for this experiment i will be using Bilt Hamber Auto Foam, my personal choice, as it simply fantastic & customer care is second to none !!

Following this guide will help you get the right % at the car, it will take about 45 mins to do in total, but once done you'll be happy in knowing u have to right measurement

Bilt Hamber rec 4% at the car

Things you will need

25 Litre plastic drum

1 litre measuring jug

Permanent marker

Using the measuring jug, fill the 25 litre container 1 litre at a time, then mark each litre incriment with the perm marker, until you have this

It takes about 10 mins to do.

Once that is done, set up your power washer and fit the HD snow foam lance, fill the lance bottle with 1 litre of water and fire the lance into the container as shown below until the snow foam lance bottle is empty .. DO NOT use snow foam as shown in the picture, i forgot to take this pic and done it AFTER i had worked out my correct percentage

My lance was set to min

I recorded 17 litres in total 1 litre from the lance and 16 from the mains supply through the pressure washer.

Heres the maths behind it, ive made it very easy as i know percentages can be a real pain to work out

you want to know how many millilitres of Auto foam to add in the lance bottle, so you need to break down the total litres into millilitres/ml

1 Litre = 1000 ml

Times the total litres you get from firing the lance into in the 25 litre container by 1000

mine was 17 x 1000 = 17000ml

you now need 4% of this , so 17000 divide by 100 X 4 = 680

total amount needed 680ml + 320ml water in snow lance bottle

EDIT: the 1 litre mix is an example, you may find with 1 litre of mixed solution you will have enough to do 3-4 cars, this all depends on how quick your lance discharges and how quickly you cover the car, i used 500ml of solution and used it to cover the car, the intercooler, under the arches and to loosen very heavy brake dust on my alloys

so for 1/2 a litre fill in the bottle with half of the above 340ml +160ml water

break down of how to calculate

Litres of water in container after firing lance till bottle empty X 1000 divide by 100 X percentage of manufactures spec

Have fun and if you follow this guide you will end up like i did afterwards.... see below

and to show how well this stuff cleans, even the wheels came up great

And here's the excel spreadsheet that gives rough mixture quantities based on product used: RS clicky

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 11:41:42 pm »
thanks stealth wolf excellent write up :congrats: :notworthy:

Offline VC

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 09:02:41 am »
stealth, dude, thankyou so much  :drinking:

EXACTLY what i was after  :happy2:

Offline keith

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 11:56:25 pm »
Now a lot of thought has gone into that

Anybody wish to try out a new foam? Need one person that has a foam gun/bottle like the autobrite version.
Its very different and if you think your current foam gets you weird looks from the neighbours when you use it at home then wait till you try this version out.  Oh and its free! pm for details

Offline VC

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 04:01:30 pm »

Anybody wish to try out a new foam? Need one person that has a foam gun/bottle like the autobrite version.
Its very different and if you think your current foam gets you weird looks from the neighbours when you use it at home then wait till you try this version out.  Oh and its free! pm for details

thats a generous offer dude, i'll let someone else take you up on that as i woulnt want to be greedy (AP sent me 5 litres so i'm pretty well stocked)  :happy2:

Offline CarrG

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 17
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2009, 06:46:11 pm »

PM Sent  :smiley:
K1 Revo 2+
Ibis RS3
VW California 180 DSG "Candy"!