Make a donation

Author Topic: MDI retrofit - how to change airducts?  (Read 2558 times)

Offline Belix

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
MDI retrofit - how to change airducts?
« on: October 10, 2011, 05:54:03 pm »
Hi folks
Trying to retrofit the MDI kit into the armrest holder. was going along pretty well, but could not remove the centre console. Anyway, not sure if it needs to come out completely or not as the join seems to be on the edge of the ccentre console.
Eiather way, although I can get most of the old airduct out, something is catching at the bottom end. Has anyone done something along these lines? How do I get the duct out and the new one in?

Offline Eddie-NL

• Trader - 2014
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 298
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,56721.0.html
Re: MDI retrofit - how to change airducts?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 05:56:32 pm »
its a b*****d to change this over

i ended up taking the whole lot out to swop over
Genuine VCDS VAG-COM HEX-USB + Genuine Vag Commander + Genuine VAG Tacho + Genuine VAG CAN PRO  + RNS Manager for Video in Motion and New Pin Code for RNS510

Cluster and Key coding

Location Great Yarmouth

Retrofits fitted by me see my members rides

Offline shoaybmakda

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 08:02:05 pm »
@Eddie-NL did you find any easier way to retrofit the MDI? ill be attempting this next week so not looking forward to removing the centre console!

Offline Nasir

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 28
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 08:50:35 pm »
Have you thought about running the wire along the side of console and then into the armrest? It looks like an absolute pain of a job.
Shadow Blue 2007 GTI DSG (Standard)

Offline shoaybmakda

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 09:19:00 pm »
@Nasir I'm thinking that and then try and force the wire under the console. Looks like a nightmare job..looking online to see if I can find a how to on how to rip out the centre console  :confused:

Offline Rob1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 40
  • -Receive: 24
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 02:52:25 am »
Yep it's a pain to install and benprepaired for a few scratched knuckles.
When I installed mine, I ran the wires under the ashtray and alongside the gearstick and then upwards to the centre console area.
Black Ed30

Offline shoaybmakda

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2016, 08:46:04 am »
@Rob1 re the wiring loom did you have to remove your old wire that you had connected to your CD changer? I've found this harness in eBay but can't think where the big plug connects to. The plug with the white section on the pic goes into the unit I assume and the smaller plug goes into the MDI but no idea re the plug at the end of all the multi coloured wires

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEU-VW-Skoda-Seat-MEDIA-IN-MDI-Kabelsatz-RCD-RNS-510-310-315-KABELBAUM-ADAPTER-/121525592041?nav=WATCHING_ACTIVE

Offline Rob1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 11:18:49 pm »
@Rob1 re the wiring loom did you have to remove your old wire that you had connected to your CD changer? I've found this harness in eBay but can't think where the big plug connects to. The plug with the white section on the pic goes into the unit I assume and the smaller plug goes into the MDI but no idea re the plug at the end of all the multi coloured wires

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEU-VW-Skoda-Seat-MEDIA-IN-MDI-Kabelsatz-RCD-RNS-510-310-315-KABELBAUM-ADAPTER-/121525592041?nav=WATCHING_ACTIVE

Hi mate I'm really sure how that will work, however have a look at car systems website http://www.carsystems.pl/vw-mdi-media-in-plug-play-wiring,id532.html

As the above is plug and play, only thing I'm not sure about is whether it's long enough but there is a few of them on their website
Black Ed30

Offline shoaybmakda

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2016, 11:53:29 pm »
Says 1.8m so let's hope it is! Order placed anyway let's see how it goes  :happy2:

Offline shoaybmakda

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2016, 08:54:49 pm »
Got the loom today and literally is plug and play.

Only problem now is getting it into my Armrest! Can't feed it through as the DSG box is a PITA to get past. Job for the weekend to try and dismantle the centre console!

Offline Rob1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2016, 09:47:14 pm »
Yeh it was pretty tight fitting with the manual box, just be prepared to scratch your knuckles  :smiley:
Black Ed30

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 685
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2016, 09:46:36 am »
A right pain in the butt!  After all the aggro the MDI didn't work anyway.  Charges the phone OK but it couldn't 'see' the phone.  I don't know if it needed a firmware update (RNS510 'Q') but I just gave up.  Nothing is straight forward with these silly radios, but they're OEM, fit perfectly and look great. 

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline shoaybmakda

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2016, 07:29:33 pm »
@Rob1 @Pudding fitted mine today and all works fine - ran the loom down the back and then out the side near the pedals then from the outside of the console tucked it back in to the armrest and plugged in the MDI. then with the loose wire just tucked it into the console with a flat headed screwdriver. just as i was beginning to rip out the console managed to spot an opening at the top and then the rest followed. saved my knuckles and no cuts!  :grin:

Offline Rob1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2016, 09:28:41 pm »
@Rob1 @Pudding fitted mine today and all works fine - ran the loom down the back and then out the side near the pedals then from the outside of the console tucked it back in to the armrest and plugged in the MDI. then with the loose wire just tucked it into the console with a flat headed screwdriver. just as i was beginning to rip out the console managed to spot an opening at the top and then the rest followed. saved my knuckles and no cuts!  :grin:

Nice one, pleased it's all working well
Black Ed30