Make a donation

Author Topic: Audi A5  (Read 7323 times)

Offline lukemk5gti

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
Audi A5
« on: January 06, 2015, 09:24:15 am »
Does anybody here own an Audi A5?

I love my GTI of course but it's nice to keep looking around and an A5 has been on my radar for about a year now. I just want to know what other members on the forum think of them.

Looking briefly at a 2.7tdi coupe

Offline Dave(tm)

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 12
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89462.0.html
Re: Audi A5
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 07:26:20 pm »
Mate of mine has a lovely white 2.0 TFSI and is very happy with it.

Dave

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 08:56:00 pm »

...Hmmm, all I know is Luke that everyone I know in the Audi world has always said the 2.7tdi is no better on fuel than the 3.0tdi and the power sacrifice is noticeable. It's also FWD, so while a bit lighter, will spin up just as much as an Edition 30 with the torque it has making in effectively even more sluggish.

You'll find the 2.7tdi engine is much rarer in the A5 and A6 and it's not because of fluke or demand.

Wouldn't want you to be disappointed with it, the 3.0tdi is definitely the better buy IMHO and from what the A5 communities say  :happy2:
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline GT170

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 1
  • Petrol Head
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 09:46:17 pm »
Yep I'd go for the 3.0, it's also more reliable than the 2.7
Now have my third Golf
1st  in 1994 - 1983 GTI Mark 1
2nd in 2002  - 2002 GTI 2.0 Mark 4
3rd in 2014   - 2007 GT TSI 170

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 10:07:31 pm »
Mrs has an A4 b8 which is exactly the same
It's a nice car but some noticable differences

steering is very heavy compared to mk5 platform. it's very responsive but feels like it's a lot of effort to turn. feels overly stable, much less steering feel and feels very planted.
Nice car for going long distances , nice interior and big boot etc,  it does grip well and go around corners nicely but not a patch on driving for a GTI.

my biggest pet hate with the car is that the pedals are heavily offset.
Mk5 the brake pedal is in the middle right under the steering wheel. On the A4/A5 the clutch pedal is where the brake is on a Mk5 so your feet are at an angle. if you have back problems it can be a bad thing.

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 08:20:39 am »

...Hmmm, all I know is Luke that everyone I know in the Audi world has always said the 2.7tdi is no better on fuel than the 3.0tdi and the power sacrifice is noticeable. It's also FWD, so while a bit lighter, will spin up just as much as an Edition 30 with the torque it has making in effectively even more sluggish.

You'll find the 2.7tdi engine is much rarer in the A5 and A6 and it's not because of fluke or demand.

Wouldn't want you to be disappointed with it, the 3.0tdi is definitely the better buy IMHO and from what the A5 communities say  :happy2:

This is exactly why I put the topic up because I know someone would have a better insight. Just looking in Ireland and the 3.0 seems to be quite rare but there's plenty of 2.0 which I wouldn't go with as the power sacrifice from the GTI to this would be too much.

I think I'll consider the 3.0 so. Was it not only selected 3.0 that had Quattro no?

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 08:25:21 am »
Mrs has an A4 b8 which is exactly the same
It's a nice car but some noticable differences

steering is very heavy compared to mk5 platform. it's very responsive but feels like it's a lot of effort to turn. feels overly stable, much less steering feel and feels very planted.
Nice car for going long distances , nice interior and big boot etc,  it does grip well and go around corners nicely but not a patch on driving for a GTI.

my biggest pet hate with the car is that the pedals are heavily offset.
Mk5 the brake pedal is in the middle right under the steering wheel. On the A4/A5 the clutch pedal is where the brake is on a Mk5 so your feet are at an angle. if you have back problems it can be a bad thing.

Very valid point, I was driving the company A6 and although I liked looking at it, I didn't particularly enjoy driving it. Again like you said the pedals are a pain and the actually driving feel was poor.

The only reason I'm considering it is now my job requires a 150mile commute each week and limited driving around midweek so I'm not enjoying the GTI like I did before, I actually relish a 20minute spin around back roads now when I can get it. It also kills me to add this mileage to my low mileage car as for the past year my commute has been 10mins and I wouldn't see 80miles a week sometimes.

Offline Beddie

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 76
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 08:29:15 am »
All the 3.0tdi versions are Quattro as standard  :happy2:

Few years back I was lucky enough to get an invite to the Audi UK launch of the A5, had a 3.0tdi coupe for a few hours and I was really impressed with it, believe it or not on the small country lanes around the launch venue point to point it felt quicker than the RS4 that I drove after it...

Tornado Red ED30 : Number 1644 - Gone

Carbon Grey Edition 35 - Here

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 08:31:05 am »
All the 3.0tdi versions are Quattro as standard  :happy2:

Few years back I was lucky enough to get an invite to the Audi UK launch of the A5, had a 3.0tdi coupe for a few hours and I was really impressed with it, believe it or not on the small country lanes around the launch venue point to point it felt quicker than the RS4 that I drove after it...

I'm happy with that! I actually saw a 3.0 pass me the other day and it had a Quattro decal along the side skirts. Do you think that was added by the owner?

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2015, 09:19:44 am »

Very valid point, I was driving the company A6 and although I liked looking at it, I didn't particularly enjoy driving it. Again like you said the pedals are a pain and the actually driving feel was poor.

The only reason I'm considering it is now my job requires a 150mile commute each week and limited driving around midweek so I'm not enjoying the GTI like I did before, I actually relish a 20minute spin around back roads now when I can get it. It also kills me to add this mileage to my low mileage car as for the past year my commute has been 10mins and I wouldn't see 80miles a week sometimes.

cars are meant to be driven.
i could get about 400 miles out of my GTI normally, best I had was 485 which also included a couple of hours of being stuck in traffic.
150 mile per week is nothing really in the grand scheme of things, certainly not enough to warrant upgrading to a diesel for the sake of it.

Offline TomGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 4
  • PIRELLI EDITION
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2015, 06:53:09 pm »
My friend has a 2.7tdi DSG A5 quattro and he's just chipped it and it is still slooooow and feels a little boring they really are big cars.

On the other hand they look nice and really comfortable but limited space in the back
GTI Pirelli - Reflex Silver - 5dr - 58 - B12 Sportline kit!

Sold ~ GTI - Mk5 - Pearl Black -  Bluefin - 3dr - 08

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 06:57:32 pm »
....believe it or not on the small country lanes around the launch venue point to point it felt quicker than the RS4 that I drove after it...

...Left the handbrake on again in limp mode Steve?  :grin: :laugh: :signLOL:
Pete

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2015, 07:09:00 pm »
@lukemk5gti  Does it have to be AWD or Audi? As someone that's nearly bought both an A5 3.0tdi and a respective age 330d, I've always found the 330d the more appealing buy because; it's better on fuel (even auto) in the real world, the kit is more generous, it's marginally faster all round except off the line (on track or B-roads in the dry it would be clearer to gauge), it's a more involving and appealing drive #funfactor, it's lighter than the A5 from memory and better value for money i.e. you can get the facelifted E90 with the white factory angel eyes and LCI rear lights on a 2010/11 plate for the same price as a fairly basic spec S-Line A5 on a 2009/2010. I think the original A5 may start to look dated soon, but I could be wrong.

I've talked myself out of a 330d several times in the last year or so, it's tricky especially when Evolve MK do some excellent tweaks to them, to put them around the 300hp mark (DPF delete and a map) with MPG improvements of over 50mpg, say some that have had it done.

The A5 wins in the gearbox, traction and 'tuned sound' departments, but that said - a DPF delete on a 330d with a downpipe doesn't sound boring either  :pomppomp:
Pete

dansmith180

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2015, 07:32:45 pm »
@lukemk5gti  Does it have to be AWD or Audi? As someone that's nearly bought both an A5 3.0tdi and a respective age 330d, I've always found the 330d the more appealing buy because; it's better on fuel (even auto) in the real world, the kit is more generous, it's marginally faster all round except off the line (on track or B-roads in the dry it would be clearer to gauge), it's a more involving and appealing drive #funfactor, it's lighter than the A5 from memory and better value for money i.e. you can get the facelifted E90 with the white factory angel eyes and LCI rear lights on a 2010/11 plate for the same price as a fairly basic spec S-Line A5 on a 2009/2010. I think the original A5 may start to look dated soon, but I could be wrong.

I've talked myself out of a 330d several times in the last year or so, it's tricky especially when Evolve MK do some excellent tweaks to them, to put them around the 300hp mark (DPF delete and a map) with MPG improvements of over 50mpg, say some that have had it done.

The A5 wins in the gearbox, traction and 'tuned sound' departments, but that said - a DPF delete on a 330d with a downpipe doesn't sound boring either  :pomppomp:

Great points you make, but you'd have to drive a BMW.......  :laugh:

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2015, 08:39:57 am »

Very valid point and the exact same point made by another friend when I told him, although he suggested the 335d. Before I bought the GTI I loved BMW but now hands down I prefer the A5 albeit my decision right now is based purely on aesthetics. You couldn't pay me to take an any other Audi than the A5 because it's the only one to me that looks the part of a sports car.

Right now I'm just stubborn and have it stuck in my head that the A5 is next whilst I build up funds for the next car which is to be an E90/92 M3!

The roads I drive daily now are by no means enjoyable so something that feels heavy may not be such a bad thing and to be honest my intention is to keep the car for a year before something else comes along.