Make a donation

Author Topic: Intercooler Placement Discussion...  (Read 6062 times)

Offline TimmyH92

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
Intercooler Placement Discussion...
« on: January 03, 2015, 10:37:26 am »
Hi guys, I'm looking into getting an uprated intercooler but I am torn between a larger drop in replacement cooler or a true front mount setup like this...

http://www.awesomegti.com/car/vw/golfmk5/neuspeed-front-mounted-intercooler-kit-48-10-95

Some threads I have read have suggested ones like the Neuspeed above cool better and require less volume to get the same cooling effect due to placement. However some people have said due to the longer pipework more lag would be present...

I guess my question is, which would you guys run considering the above and the fact the Neuspeed is about the same price, plus its easier to fit.

Offline Stooey

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
    • Email
Re: Intercooler Placement Discussion...
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 11:16:57 am »
I'm not sure which would be better performance wise but what I can say is I fitted a twintercooler to my gti over new year which runs the standard cooler plus a small front mount cooler and I havnt noticed any increase in lag on my car, still hits boost as quick as it ever did  :driver:

Offline TimmyH92

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 11:33:25 am »
Thats the thing with this one, Its not a twin setup like a twintercooler or the airtec equivalent. Its just a single item mounted upfront thats supposed to be rated to 450bhp and I'm just not sure which would be best for optimum performance, so I'm hoping some gurus could chime in :)

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=5irl1tb6djhcfmpu3j3n0ijhu3&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 11:39:11 am »
That's very expensive imo.

You can get a true FMIC setup for a couple of hundred quid. Google welly cooler

Offline TimmyH92

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 11:50:42 am »
That's very expensive imo.

You can get a true FMIC setup for a couple of hundred quid. Google welly cooler

Very similar price to the likes of the Airtec stage 2, Peron and cheaper than the Wagner or APR items.

In regards to the wellycooler I have researched them but they require custom fitting/cutting to fit and the inlet/outlets are 3" plus the core is massive. Which means reducers would be needed which I'm led to believe could have negative effects on flow and could mean more lag... Like i say its only what I have read but I do wonder wether a wellycooler is over kill for your average K04 car?

Offline TimmyH92

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 10:46:26 am »
Any other input on cooler placement guys? @Tfsi_Mike @Hurdy @Pikey Motorsports @vRSAlex @danishmkvgti

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=5irl1tb6djhcfmpu3j3n0ijhu3&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 11:11:47 am »
What car do you have and what stage of tune do you intend to be at?

Offline TimmyH92

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 11:33:46 am »
A Leon Cupra R currenly on a Revo Stage 2 :) I intend to go at least to 2+ but maybe go WMI and TTE420 in the future.

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 183
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101525.0.html
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 11:53:24 am »
I'm sure I've read that an S3 intercooler combined with a Forge FMIC is the most efficient system to run, especially on K04 cars.

Personally, I'm going down the route of an S3 intercooler along with Neuspeed intake and turbo discharge kits while running the stock intake (with panel filter). I have a K03 engine so no need for a huge air flow, just want an efficient one instead.

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline TimmyH92

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2015, 12:12:20 pm »
I'm sure I've read that an S3 intercooler combined with a Forge FMIC is the most efficient system to run, especially on K04 cars.

Personally, I'm going down the route of an S3 intercooler along with Neuspeed intake and turbo discharge kits while running the stock intake (with panel filter). I have a K03 engine so no need for a huge air flow, just want an efficient one instead.

Ahhh why is this so difficult :( I read that with the longer piping and 2 cores which equate to a massive overall volume when combining the s3 and twintercooler, that it would induce extra lag which is exactly what I want to avoid. So many contradicting threads on the interwebs.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2015, 12:31:06 pm »
A Leon Cupra R currenly on a Revo Stage 2 :) I intend to go at least to 2+ but maybe go WMI and TTE420 in the future.

Peron then.... tested and proven to work very well.

..... or eurojet which is what hurdy uses at 500bhp  :happy2:

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 183
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101525.0.html
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2015, 12:39:31 pm »
I would imagine your choice of intake will effect efficiency and lag as well... Just to make things more tricky. I would imagine a single drop in intercooler would be the best option to start with.

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline TimmyH92

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2015, 07:45:03 pm »
Thanks for the input. I have seen what the Peron can do and it is impressive despite its location and having to do dismantle the front end to fit. I will keep researching and look elsewhere before pulling the trigger on an intercooler. :happy2:

Offline TommyR

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 20
  • Black Edition 30
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2015, 10:57:08 am »
After seeing this post I had a dig round on other forums and asked on seatcupra.net but didn't really get anywhere, so if I do find anything I will let you know. :happy2:

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2015, 09:37:19 pm »
I have the S3 with Forge FMTC with a K04...never noticed lag.
If OP wants a single front mount as pictured he can remove the OE core from the end caps which will allow everything to be buttoned back up with the OE end caps in place, but the OE core removed.
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1