Make a donation

Author Topic: Toyo Announce R888R UK Launch  (Read 3423 times)

Offline Nodz

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 73
  • -Receive: 103
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29264.0.html
Toyo Announce R888R UK Launch
« on: January 07, 2015, 06:18:30 pm »

Japanese tyre manufacturer Toyo Tires has announced the UK launch of its hotly anticipated road-legal track tyre, the Proxes R888R.

This all-new tyre, which will eventually replace the best-selling Proxes R888, has been improved in every single area. The outgoing design, which will continue in many sizes as the new model rolls in, was an incredibly successful all-round tyre, giving exceptional dry grip, but combined with unusually high adhesion levels in wet and cold conditions.

This ‘master of all trades’ demeanour made the original R888 the choice of dozens of club championships as control rubber, as well as the ‘go to’ solution for most performance car enthusiasts. It even made it as the OEM choice for RenaultSport on the unhinged – and superbly capable – Megane R26R.

The Proxes R888R has big shoes to fill then, but this new tyre has been totally re-engineered from a clean sheet of paper in order to create a tyre that performs even better on track, but surprisingly, remains one of very few tyres commercially available, along with the original R888, that will surpass the latest tyre labelling regulations that came into force on the 1st November 2014 – making it totally legal to use on the road as well as the track. Put simply, almost all other manufacturer’s ‘semi-slick’ tyres produced from this date, are fine for track, but will be illegal to use on the road.*

The ‘GG’ compound of the new tyre has made it onto the approved tyre list for road legality, but also, Toyo has managed to have the even grippier ‘SG’ compound approved in certain sizes. This super-sticky compound has proven to be a huge seller in sprintand hill-climb markets in the past, and is particularly popular with lightweight cars like the Caterham and Westfield.

Produced in 32 sizes initially, the new Proxes R888R takes track performance and grip to a whole new level, with a fast warm up time, increased dry grip and sustained performance over multiple laps and heat cycles. A rayon ‘super-high’ turn up ply on some sizes, combined with steel side plies, give the new Proxes R888R precise steering response and feedback to the driver allowing full control in order to optimise lap times.

In the UK, Toyo performed exhaustive testing of the R888R with BTCC and British GT driver Tom Onslow-Cole prior to sale. These tests benchmarked a wide range of sports and club racecars against not only the outgoing R888, but also against the best of the opposition – with highly encouraging results.

For more info see Toyo

* Any stock of these tyres that manufactured prior to this date can continue to sell for 30 months, but production after this date will have to be marked for ‘competition use only’.

Source Fast Car FB

Offline GTiBlues

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 15
  • Mr Blues
    • Bookface
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,75444.0.html
Re: Toyo Announce R888R UK Launch
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 10:10:11 am »
I'm due a tyre change in the next month or so. Bored with my Dunlop Sportmaxx RT's

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 11:13:00 am »

There's more choice of semi slicks nowadays which is helping keep the price down

dansmith180

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 11:57:25 am »
Anybody know what the price of these will be compared to the old R888's?

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 12:04:50 pm »
Thanks to this thread I found michellin now make the pilot sport cup 2 in 235/40/18 woohoo

i'd go for the Yokohama ad08r still.

dansmith180

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 02:11:06 pm »
Thanks to this thread I found michellin now make the pilot sport cup 2 in 235/40/18 woohoo

i'd go for the Yokohama ad08r still.

From what I've heard the cup 2's aren't great, supposedly dangerous in the wet.

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 11:51:02 pm »
I think I would fit them on my set of summer wheels, probably keep the Turbines as my sort of winter use wheel, with Eagle F1's or Vred Sessantas or something such as that, then the summer/track wheels with these... seem a bit skitty in the wet from the reviews but nothing you can't drive around, if you want to go hooning and it's raining then you are mental haha.
Then again I do enjoy a bit of slippy roundabout....

Will see haha.

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2015, 08:22:37 am »

You can do some amount of wear to a set of semi slicks on a Trackday, could be a headache if you didn't have a set of 'road' tyres at the ready.

I murdered a set of 888s in a day, albeit on a concrete airfield. Was a sh*t load of fun though!

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2015, 11:49:47 am »
Yeah, that was the issue with the old one - they weren't brilliant on heavy cars. Hopefully these are better, and realistically priced.

Cup2s are about £180/corner in 235/40/18. Hell of a lot less sketchy in the wet than the last version too, although really only a summer months and trackdays tyre.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 11:55:55 am by tony_danza »
Sideways yo!